kallend

Cool B1B picture

Could be you're right!

Then on the other hand, it could be that madly swirling dirty air doesn't hold still for portraits.
:D:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

It's a great picture and that's good enough for me.... faith is the way:P

It is and me, too.
'Twas dry American humor, Shroppy.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

It's a great picture and that's good enough for me.... faith is the way:P

Actually it's a picture of boobies. It only looks like a B1B on account of thermal lensing and the Prandtl-Glauert effect.;)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Transonic aerodynamics is a very cool area of study. Did you know that past Mach I the controls in an aircraft can reverse due to a shifting of the aerodynamic center behind the center of gravity? Wrecked havoc on pilots trying to break the barrier because they pulled up and went down :o

Transonic aerodynamics is a very cool area of study. Did you know that past Mach I the controls in an aircraft can reverse due to a shifting of the aerodynamic center behind the center of gravity? Wrecked havoc on pilots trying to break the barrier because they pulled up and went down :o

As a matter of fact I did know that. It's the kind of thing an engineering professor picks up during the course of a long career.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

As a matter of fact I did know that. It's the kind of thing an engineering professor picks up during the course of a long career.

I read a book where Chuck Yeager said that was bollocks, made famous by the plot of a 1952 film by David Lean called Breaking the Sound Barrier and somehow making it into urban myth.

"Chuck, " he says, "do you mind if I ask you something? Is it true that you broke the sound barrier by reversing the controls? "

Yeager is stunned by this. The Secretary—the Secretary! —of the U. S. Air Force!

"No, sir, " he says, "that is… not correct. Anyone who reversed the controls going transonic would be dead. "

Apparently control reversal is mostly down a lack of torsional rigidity in the wings so that air pressing on the aileron flexes the wing thereby counteracting the input from the pilot.

But what do I know.

>Did you know that past Mach I the controls in an aircraft can reverse due
>to a shifting of the aerodynamic center behind the center of gravity?
> Wrecked havoc on pilots trying to break the barrier because they pulled
>up and went down

Controls surfaces at transsonic speeds work just like they do at subsonic speeds. But often the shock wave will travel down the wing and park itself over the control surface, and that will make it nearly impossible to move the control surface in the way the pilot wants (or it will flutter and cause all sorts of havoc.) Also, flexible wings will sometimes be so flexible that an aileron deflection downwards will result in the entire wing twisting trailing-edge-down resulting in a roll towards the low elevator.

(Note that this is how some aircraft fly to begin with; a small aileron "warps" a larger aileron in the opposite direction, and thus a low elevator on a wing causes that wing to drop. not rise.)

However, that's not unique to transsonic flight; the B-47 has such flexible wings that it was a problem well below the speed of sound. Also, I have never heard of a control-reversal problem that affected the horizontal stabilizer/elevator to the degree that "they pulled up and went down." (Other than stalling either the wing or the tailplane.) You may have heard of problems with elevators like the P-38 Lightning had, where turbulence across the tail at very high speeds made it hard to pull out of steep dives. That wasn't control reversal though, it was loss of control due to airflow interference.

Kinda... I don't think it is as simple as "reverse". You slipped 'can reverse' in there instead of 'reverse'. The supersonic flow makes a wave that changes the air density so drastically that it can push on different parts of wings and surfaces. I understand trans/supersonic aerodynamics as 'planing' through a fluid, like a boat on a lake.

But I'm no aerodynamocologist, just an guy with toys wanting bigger toys.

It's phenomenal what we've achieved is such a short periodB|

like sending men to the moon before the first paraglider flight ? :)

Bwhaaaa .... git (p.s - they NEVER wen to the moon:P)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome