D22369

so how does 911 work exactly...

I always had a impression that when you call 911 the emergency was relayed to officers quite quickly -

what I just saw blows that out of the water -

following either a very drunk or stoned driver - or perhaps someone with a medical issue I phoned 911 after watching him use all the lanes on the road in town, nearly sideswipe a truck, and then lock up the brakes to avoid rear ending a motorcycle in the turn lane- he was driving with his head slumped on the windowsill.

I give the 911 dispatcher the cars make, model, license number and direction of travel, she takes all of it down and tells me to not follow the car *( am going that way so I end up doing so)

I travel 3 miles through town watching this bozo careen all over the road luckily not killing someone - waiting for a cop to show... nothing, nada, zip zilch etc..... now I know what your thinking... they were all busy with something else right?

wrong.

on s. 1st and nob hill blvd there was a motorcycle cop in the turn lane - right next to the bozo driver who managed to pull up to the cop - the cop never even looked around - I am pretty sure he had not been informed about the drunk driver as he slowly pulled away heading up 1st.

this idiot made it all the way through yakima out onto the highway after being reported... he may have gotten away, I dont know, I had to take a different turn.

gotta love government sponsored dial-a-prayer

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

It all depends on man power.

When you call 911 the dispatcher takes the information. The dispatcher then gives the information out to an available officer, if there is one. If there isn't one, the call for service pends.

Once it is dispatched, it may not be to an officer that is near the location of the call. If it is a traveling call for service, like following a DWI, the call may need to be handed off to another agency. That restarts the availability problem with officers again.

You may see another officer that may not be a function of patrol or is not operating on the same radio channels. So that motor unit may not have even known that a DWI driver was near him. Or if it is another officer, they may be headed to another higher priortity call, like a robbery alarm or a family violence call.

Take steps to protect yourself, since response times, even though they are better than they have been in the past, still takes forever. When your life is in danger, 60 seconds seems like an hour and 10 minutes is a life time.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I don't know about all of California, but here in Los Angeles, if you dial 911 from your cell phone it takes you straight to the highway patrol, you get a message, and if you're lucky will be directed to the local police department.

A few weeks ago I was inside of a gas station that was being held up, the guy with the gun told me to get the "F" out. I did. Wasn't able to get in touch with the police until I got home.

It sucks! Someone could be killed and the bad guys get away. :S

Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I don't know about all of California, but here in Los Angeles, if you dial 911 from your cell phone it takes you straight to the highway patrol, you get a message, and if you're lucky will be directed to the local police department.

A few weeks ago I was inside of a gas station that was being held up, the guy with the gun told me to get the "F" out. I did. Wasn't able to get in touch with the police until I got home.

Lisa! Why didn't you simply pull out your trusty .44 and "blow their heads clean off?" That'll learn em!
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Come to Indiana and we can fix that problem ourselves... shoot the pr*ck on the spot game over. Call the cops to mop up...

I had a similar experience except when the driver went off the road again I recalled, ID'd myself as the original caller and told them they needed to stop the driver before someone gets hurt. I stayed on the phone and updated the drivers location as I followed (while obeying all traffic laws)..within a couple of miles patrol units caught up to us and stopped the driver.

Dispatches get a lot of BS calls...they become a bit jaded/cynical and do not get exicted about things we might think are pretty exciting. Convince the call taker there is a true problem and you will quickly get help.
SmugMug