Marcus93

typical noob Boeing 747 fantasy

Has anyone ever considered how much fun a dropship one could be?

if you could somehow shield the jumpers from the massive jet engines and figure a way for it to go slow enough to allow for reasonable exits and not too much drift from LZ on jump run and the plethora of other issues with jumping out of one. strip out all the seats and that.
add some scatter cusions and multiple doors and you'd be good to go. you could even fit a tailgate for dropping cars and inflatable whale flocks.

You could have a couple of thousand people for a bigway, pretty awesome boogies. fast climb rate etc. Open to HALO and HAHO...... you could even moan like an airline passenger on your way to altitude.

P.S if this is worded weirdly, its late in the UK and im feeling a bit buzzed out, humour me

Has anyone ever considered how much fun a dropship one could be?

if you could somehow shield the jumpers from the massive jet engines and figure a way for it to go slow enough to allow for reasonable exits and not too much drift from LZ on jump run and the plethora of other issues with jumping out of one. strip out all the seats and that.
add some scatter cusions and multiple doors and you'd be good to go. you could even fit a tailgate for dropping cars and inflatable whale flocks.

You could have a couple of thousand people for a bigway, pretty awesome boogies. fast climb rate etc. Open to HALO and HAHO...... you could even moan like an airline passenger on your way to altitude.

P.S if this is worded weirdly, its late in the UK and im feeling a bit buzzed out, humour me

Thousands? Seems quite high to me, that's a LOT of weight.

I'd just ask for a C-5. You could drive a fucking fire truck off the ramp! (not sure if it would work too well in flight though. :D:D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

strip out all the seats and that.

why get rid of perfectly good seats ? That would be your most comfortable plane and you would ditch the seats ??? Crazy Brit you...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Yeah but if i didnt get rid of the seats, then people would have to gear up at altitude and that just adds to the complications.

Besides i wouldnt be allowed my 1000's of people bigways.. i would be limited to a mere 600 or so.

As for the C-5, i had no clue what one was so i googled it and theres a pic with its nose cone open. whether it could do that in flight is another question but im sure it could be worked out. That could be quite fun as long as there wasnt anything sharp and pointy sticking out of the walls

then go for an Airbus A380....
or an Antonov An-225 (big brother of the An-2):P

I wish the Ukrainians would try to put together again the jump which we had to do 3 years ago from the An-124[:/]

747 doesn't have the seating capacity for over 500, much less 600.

Though it does have the ability to lift 1000 people (provided they could find somewhere to sit and be buckled up for taxi and takeoff) you have to figure out the exit seperation. The stall speed is somewhere in the neighborhood of 200knots @ max weight (most planes slow to around 100 before exit).

Other than the seperation, lack of exit positions, forward throw of the a/c, the actual physical pain of hitting the relative wind, amount of fuel, takeoff/landing runway required, overall cost of the airframe and a couple pilots that know what they're doing... it could work.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

i did think of the A380 a bit after starting this post, however as i was a bit strung out i couldnt really be bothered to go to the trouble of sorting it out.

the 600 figure i got was from googling capacity of a 747 and the first link said there was some special edition or something that could fit 10% more passengers (with the original capacity figure given of 550). And like we all know, the internet never lies.

Who cares if the plane drops a few feet during jump run.. no planes perfectly good anyway as the saying goes.. and that relative wind business, speed skydivers go faster than that.. admittedly they usually dont get thrown around like a ragdoll when they're doing it but hey, it could work

Who cares if the plane drops a few feet during jump run.. no planes perfectly good anyway as the saying goes.. and that relative wind business, speed skydivers go faster than that.. admittedly they usually dont get thrown around like a ragdoll when they're doing it but hey, it could work

I have a feeling that a 747 in a full on stall would probably be a little more exciting that dropping a few feet. Especially in the back of the plane.

Anyone been in a stalled 747?

I have a feeling that a 747 in a full on stall would probably be a little more exciting that dropping a few feet. Especially in the back of the plane.

no more than 12 videomen hanginig outside, please !! :D

no more than 12 videomen hanginig outside, please !! :D

Fuck... was I front-front-front-front-front or just front-front-front-front float??:S

:D

I'd just ask for a C-5. You could drive a fucking fire truck off the ramp! (not sure if it would work too well in flight though. :D:D:D

That would have some major alarm bells ringing .....

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

That would have some major alarm bells ringing .....

Get balsy enough and you can base off the ladder of it in freefall.

Yeah but if i didnt get rid of the seats, then people would have to gear up at altitude and that just adds to the complications.

The Perris DC-9 still has a complete airliner interior with seats. You can still sit in the seats with gear on. It is kinda cool actually.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The Perris DC-9 still has a complete airliner interior with seats. You can still sit in the seats with gear on. It is kinda cool actually.

As we were building the 787 number 1 on the shop floor, I stood in the port aft cabin door and checked the position of the horizontal stabilizer.... it is SOOOOOO jumpable.. I volunteered to test jump it for them over Paine:)

It might make for one long ass stick though even if you are leaving from both aft doors

For the first 777 flight, the pilots wore chutes. I believe that is SOP for first flights. My memory is that there was also a deflector plate that would be deployed to stick out into the airstream a bit to push a jumper down and out a bit. The 777 also had quite a high stabilizer, but I think they're more worried about being bashed into the body. I designed the flight deck switch panels, and so had the pleasure of talking to the crew ops/test pilots regularly.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

747?
Meh.
I'll take the bomb bay of a B-52 while slapping my cowboy hat on the bomb, and yelling "YEE-HAW!!!".:P

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.