germanlady

USPA license rejected in Germany

I have a question! I got my USPA A license in June in the States. I had to move back to Germany. As I checked out the local dz, they told me that I need a German license to be allowed to jump in Germany[:/]! I always thought the USPA license would be ok worldwide, and especially in Germany, because they are member of the FAI. So I'm kinda confused. Is that true? Do I really need to get a german license?

If you are German and have your domestic address in Germany, then probably yes. There are conversion rules for USPA licences at least in Switzerland. But unless you have more than 500 jumps you would most likely go through the full licensing process. You will probably be in student status here with just the A-license. I was even with the C-license until I passed the proper theoretical and practical exams to get THE Swiss license.
It was kind of funny though. In May i had about 300 jumps and the Instructor had to check my gear before doing the final RW test and accuracy landing. Fortunately I passed and made the sunset load just afterwards in my wingsuit...

I have a question! I got my USPA A license in June in the States. I had to move back to Germany. As I checked out the local dz, they told me that I need a German license to be allowed to jump in Germany[:/]! I always thought the USPA license would be ok worldwide, and especially in Germany, because they are member of the FAI. So I'm kinda confused. Is that true? Do I really need to get a german license?

Your A-license will not be accepted here. And as not every DZ is a USPA one, you really should call them DZs to ask for details.

Anyhow, with your jump number, you perhaps will go through the entire process of a German license. That's quite hard, be prepared for several hundred questions, perfect packing skills ..... German bureaucracy at its best ;)

Where have you been rejected?

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Sounds like it'd be easier getting your driver's license reciprocated.

One would think a 25 coached jump course AFF program would be good enough to recognize in Germany.
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

One would think a 25 coached jump course AFF program would be good enough to recognize in Germany.

If only you could use your drivers license to jump .... :P
Americans would be happy, they could be jumping at age 16 (or less) like in many european countries :P

Plus at 25 jumps in many european countries you would still be a student.

Her jumps will certainly be recognized, but my bet is she will have to "join" the german system in a way or another, and not start from the beginning.

Germanlady, keep us updated, other foreign newbies can learn a lot from this post.

Welcome to our world and happy landings
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

What does it take to get a license in Germany? If I crashed a car into another on the autobahn @150MPH? It would do a whole lot more damage than my little Butt falling from the sky ever could...

Well, I do not know the size of your butt ... but: You should know, it's not only you who's falling from the sky, on the heads of innocent passengers, cars, roofs ... right? :P

(There's bird shit etc....)

No, really, you are not alone in the world and the sky. The "damage" your crashing butt is inflicting is a bit more than just a 30 cm hole in the ground. :S

Autobahn, driving 241 km/h??: Those times are gone, my dear, when you were free enough to break your neck at that speed: It's really hard to find a remaining piece of a *free autobahn* here where you're allowed to drive more than 130 km/h.

;)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

What :o?! That's not even 80MPH (?)!! Hell, I cruise that fast, here. Say it ain't so, Joe... I'd heard that speeds are restricted near cities, but thought other parts of the Autobahn are as they've always been. They're gonna have to change its name.

BTW,
"What does it take to get a license in Germany?"

A german citizen living/residing in Germany is required to hold a german license.
As you have a logbook to proove your AFF jumps and your US license, you will usually only have to take the written part of the license exam. National german regulations, weather etc. Should not be hard if you recently got your USPA license.

For the drivers license analogists, you are required to get the countries license you reside in if your stay exceeds a certain length of time (iirc about 6 months). Same same but different.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

well, under the light sport pilot rules here in the US, i can fly a light sport plane with a drivers license, after being trained how to fly. he has been trained under the USPA. a jump with an instructor should be the most required. someone is just wanting to make some cash off this guy.

well, under the light sport pilot rules here in the US, i can fly a light sport plane with a drivers license, after being trained how to fly. he has been trained under the USPA. a jump with an instructor should be the most required. someone is just wanting to make some cash off this guy.

uhm, i think the name suggests a girl, since it's "germanlady"; if it was thailady, chances are it's a ladyboy! :P

:D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

No, you cannot be a Sport Pilot in the US with a driver's license. You still have to become a certificated Sport Pilot by the FAA. The driver's license can be used in lieu of a 3rd class medical certificate for any pilot, who hasn't had a previous medical certificate denied, who flies a Light Sport Aircraft (LSA) within the LSA limitations. Pilot certificates and medical certificates are two different things.
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.