loch1957

Boss

My boss found out today I have been in his words"flinging myself from planes". Spent ten minutes telling me how dangerous it is. I told him I have a splint on my finger from tearing a tendon, but was from a safe sport, horse back riding. Sometimes girls don't want to be ridden and no amount of cookies or oats will help.

Any way he told me and he was sincere, that if something happened and my parachute didn't open, he wasn't holding my job open. I told jim that was ok, I understood. I kinda doubt that a job will be needed if my chute doesn't open.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

My boss found out today I have been in his words "flinging myself from planes"

That's some more of his business, ain't it! ;)

Any way he told me and he was sincere, that if something happened and my parachute didn't open, he wasn't holding my job open. I told jim that was ok, I understood. I kinda doubt that a job will be needed if my chute doesn't open

This would be the least of your worries if an unfortunate incident like that were to happen to you. I had my life insurance policy canceled when I first started SkyDiving. They told me that expiring during a SkyDive would be considered legal Suicide. I was really mad, but that didn't make Farm Bereau any difference.

I'm curious, what's he going to penalize you for, oh say you get hit by a train? Never mind his BS.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

They told me that expiring during a SkyDive would be considered legal Suicide. I was really mad, but that didn't make Farm Bereau any difference.

My life insurance told me I was covered for everything, including suicide. :|

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

I used to know a guy who had two sports:
- Softball on weekday evenings.
- Skydiving on the weekend.

He finally had to give up the softball because he kept getting hurt and couldn't jump.:P

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

There's another thread going on about whether to mention skydiving in a job interview. Your story is a classic example of why my advice is usually "No": non-skydivers will never, ever, ever understand skydiving, and more often than not, this works to your disadvantage. Your boss only knows about it because you've discussed it with someone. I leave it to you to draw the lessons from that.

They told me that expiring during a SkyDive would be considered legal Suicide. I was really mad, but that didn't make Farm Bereau any difference.

I'm not saying you or the agent are necessarily wrong; but I will say that that's kind of odd. The reason I say that is because most insurance policies have an express exclusion for "intentional acts". Also, many states have laws expressly prohibiting insurance coverage or indemnification for intentional acts.

I used to know a guy who had two sports:
- Softball on weekday evenings.
- Skydiving on the weekend.

He finally had to give up the softball because he kept getting hurt and couldn't jump.:P

Most accidents happen within 25 miles of home at ground level.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I'm not saying you or the agent are necessarily wrong; but I will say that that's kind of odd. The reason I say that is because most insurance policies have an express exclusion for "intentional acts". Also, many states have laws expressly prohibiting insurance coverage or indemnification for intentional acts.

A life policy typically excludes suicide only for the first two years.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I guess the market perceives a demand, and is willing to fill it. A back-handed commentary on our society, perhaps.

Anyhow, I'm thinking, off the top of my head, that in states that have statutes expressly prohibiting insurance indemnification for intentional acts, policy language or not, paying-off on a life insurance policy after an officially-ruled suicide might be deemed unlawful under that state's laws.

I guess the market perceives a demand, and is willing to fill it. A back-handed commentary on our society, perhaps.

Anyhow, I'm thinking, off the top of my head, that in states that have statutes expressly prohibiting insurance indemnification for intentional acts, policy language or not, paying-off on a life insurance policy after an officially-ruled suicide might be deemed unlawful under that state's laws.

I wouldnt be surprised if a few lawyers (ha ha) managed to argue that depression caused the suicide in a few cases and that as a mental illness, had to be covered... But who knows...
Remster

My insurance will pay if I die in skydiving. I just thought was funny, if both my chutes fail a job wont be helpfull.

If you die skydiving (hope you don't!) it probably won't be because "both chutes failed". Whuffos (understandably, but incorrectly) presume that most skydiving fatalities are due to "both chutes not opening". Skydivers understand otherwise.

My boss would be very disappointed in me if I did not jump every chance I could.:)

;)

My boss is the same way. I started doing better in my job when I started skydiving. I tried to convince him to let me take a work trip to AZ this winter to no avail.