billvon

Test driving the Tesla

On a serious note, I do like Tesla. Winning the lottery is the only way I would be able to afford a Roadster. The Model S is more practical and affordable. I may be able to get one in my grasp a few years from now, if I start saving.

The Tesla does little for me (though I am sure I would like the acceleration from it's torque if I was ever allowed to drive one on the track). How long can you drive your Tesla before you need to stop and spend the entire day recharging it's batteries? 2 hours of highway driving? Electric cars still have a long way to go if they are to be considered as anything other than inner city dwellers. However hybrids are more than the future, hybrids are the present and while I dislike most domestic "for public consumption" hybrids, there is one Hybrid I am watching.

They still won't allow the Porsche GT3 Hybrid into the "24 Heures du Mans" race (in a year or two it might be in it), but it came close to winning the 2010 Nurburgring 24 Hour race leading 23 hours of the race when tragically a mechanical failure ended the Cinderella story in the final hour. But Porsche has come back with a new and improved version this year. I don't see the Tesla in any endurance races, but I do see a certain Hybrid making the racing world stand up and take notice.

http://electric-vehicles-cars-bikes.blogspot.com/2011/03/porsche-takes-on-nurburgring-24-with.html

Of course it's not for sale to the public (even if it was only the ultra rich could afford it). But watch what comes from this car as the years progress. Things Porsche learn from the GT3 Hybrid will translate to their production cars in the years to come.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

That's what happens when you let lawyers walk about the streets like normal people:P

Shakespear was right (as in correct)

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers". ..

Admit it, Shroppy;
You Brits won't accept the electric car as a proper motorcar until you figure out how to make it leak oil.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Lemme guess;
That photo was taken along Boulder Cyn Dr, between Boulder and Nederland, wasn't it?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Just thinking here....that body matched to a 2L TDI would be kind of sexy!
And would be 1/4th the cost?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

>How long can you drive your Tesla before you need to stop and spend the
>entire day recharging it's batteries? 2 hours of highway driving?

If you're driving over 120 mph, yes, two hours. Range is between 250 and 300 miles on a charge. Recharge time is around 3 hours. Model S will be able to fast charge in about 45 minutes.

One interesting early result of this change in car usage (longer recharge times vs gas fillups) are RV parks starting to dedicate some of their spaces to EV recharging. They already have the sort of power needed to support EV's (a 240V 50A service is pretty common) and drivers patronize their restaurants/snack bars while the car is charging.

>would you give the Tesla a Buy, Wait for rev 2.0, or Don't Buy rating?

If I could afford it I'd buy one. They just took the last custom order and they're going to sell out of the remaining cars (about 40 in inventory) and then that's it. They are working on a new Roadster but it will be a little more toned-down than the current one - slightly slower, slightly more practical body etc.

I have a strong feeling these are going to become collector's items (the first really roadworthy electric cars, and a firebreather to boot) - thus they might not even be a bad investment the way most cars are.

Test drove a Tesla yesterday. Drove about 40 miles on mountain roads outside Boulder after we stopped by the Tesla dealership in town.

Finally, an eco-friendly car that doesn't look like it was manufactured by Fisher-Price.

If they become affordable I would seriously consider it.
__

My mighty steed

Amy looks great in that Roadster! I did a press conference with Tesla last year for the Asian launch. Beautiful car, but my latest drool fest is the Fisker Karma :ph34r:http://www.fiskerautomotive.com/

g

"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Attachments: GIA small.JPG

was there really a need for that precision ? :D

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::D:D:D

Luvs ya fishy boy!
g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/30/fisker-recalling-239-karma-electric-cars-for-fire-hazard/#

Fisker Automotive is recalling all 239 of its 2012 Karma luxury plug-in hybrid cars because of a fire hazard, according to a report filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Prices on the 2012 model start at $103,000, including the destination charge.

In a report filed recently on the agency’s Web site, Fisker said some hose clamps were not properly positioned, which could allow a coolant leak. “If coolant enters the battery compartment an electrical short could possibly occur, causing a thermal event within the battery, including a possible fire in the worse case,” the company told the safety agency.