skymama

Forget the NFL, who's excited about College Football?

And the BCS Championship Title rematch between LSU and Alabama is almost a foregone conclusion. :)
It would take a monumental collapse by Oklahoma or LSU for Oklahoma State to even have a chance of nabbing one of the top two spots.

The comparisons between LSU and Alabama against common opponents is amazing!

Against Mississippi State: Score and (differential)
LSU: 19-6 (13 points)
Alabama: 24-7 (17 points)

Florida:
LSU: 41-11 (30 points)
Alabama: 38-10 (28 points)

Tennessee:
LSU: 38-7 (31 points)
Alabama: 37-6 (31 points)

Ole Miss:
LSU: 52-3 (49 points)
Alabama: 52-7 (45 points)

Arkansas
LSU: 41-17 (24 points)
Alabama: 38-14 (24 points)

Auburn
LSU: 45-10 (35 points)
Alabama: 42-14 (28 points)

Total score for LSU: 236-54
Total score for Alabama: 231-58

LSU and Alabama head to head:
LSU: 9
Alabama: 6 in Overtime

Bring on the rematch bitches!!! B|

And oh yeah, Trent Richardson for the Heisman! :)

Wow! Dead even! :)

Do you think a team in the Championship game should have to win a Conference Title?

Well, that's debatable. Alabama will not be the first non-conference winner to play for the national championship. Nebraska in 2001 and Oklahoma in 2003 did, and those two got blown out in their conference championship games.

How would you feel if Georgia beat LSU, and LSU still went to the BCS title game? ;) You'd then have BOTH teams not winning their conference in the BCS title game, imagine the uproar. :P

Saban said teams should be considered on their body of work for the season.

Sometimes the best team don't always win their conference. Sometimes they fuck up one game, but rise after that to be one of if not the best playing team in the country. Look at 2007 for example. LSU won the championship even with two overtime losses, but it was Georgia who I felt was the best team in the country at the end of the season, and they didn't get to play in the SEC title game against LSU because Tennessee and South Carolina beat them and Tennessee squeaked by in most of their games, so Tennessee won the tie-breaker, but they were actually a so-so team and could not even match LSU play for play. Georgia could have, and I felt they were capable of beating LSU then. Georgia even finished #2 in the nation behind LSU after the bowls.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Same here...enough chatter about it to make one wonder IF the Tide has earned a playoff slot....

Alabama blew out everybody else, and lost to the #1 team in the nation, on a FG in overtime in a game in which neither defense allowed a TD, though Alabama came the closest to scoring one. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

How would you feel if Georgia beat LSU, and LSU still went to the BCS title game?

I wasn't asking because of who I root for, I was just asking because I heard the announcers talking about it. I think a LSU-Bama game would be another good one.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

How would you feel if Georgia beat LSU, and LSU still went to the BCS title game?

I wasn't asking because of who I root for, I was just asking because I heard the announcers talking about it. I think a LSU-Bama game would be another good one.

Yep, it should be! B|

Tide gonna get rolled Billy.

Oh, yeah, Baybee! I can't wait to watch that game!

We'll see... we'll see... Bama is the only team that can hang with LSU for 60 minutes.

Problem is... Oklahoma State destroyed Oklahoma last night 44-10 and didn't allow the TD until the final minutes. OU looked about as inept as UAB has all season. They could make a compelling reason for voters to put them in ahead of Alabama. [:/]

We'll see... we'll see... Bama is the only team that can hang with LSU for 60 minutes.

Since Oklahoma State did not play any SEC teams and did not play any common opponents, you can not say this with 100% confidence. How do you know that the Cowboys could not hang with LSU when there is little to compare with? You can't. Of course with all that said, I would be shocked if Oklahoma State gets the nod over Alabama. I am sure the BCS will choose the Tide to play the Tigers for all the marbles. There is just too much bias (not saying the bias is wrong) for the SEC teams over every other conference.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Since Oklahoma State did not play any SEC teams and did not play any common opponents, you can not say this with 100% confidence. How do you know that the Cowboys could not hang with LSU when there is little to compare with? You can't.

I would have enjoyed seeing a match with OSU, just because they're in a difference conference. Oh well, we'll see how this all plays out. It will still be fun!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

There is just too much bias (not saying the bias is wrong) for the SEC teams over every other conference.

And bias is what produces this matchup. When Ohio State and Michigan were in the same position in 2006, nobody wanted to see two teams from the same conference play for the NC. But now that it's two SEC teams, they're singing a different song.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Since Oklahoma State did not play any SEC teams and did not play any common opponents, you can not say this with 100% confidence. How do you know that the Cowboys could not hang with LSU when there is little to compare with? You can't. Of course with all that said, I would be shocked if Oklahoma State gets the nod over Alabama. I am sure the BCS will choose the Tide to play the Tigers for all the marbles. There is just too much bias (not saying the bias is wrong) for the SEC teams over every other conference.

Oklahoma State would probably still get their asses beat by LSU. The Big 12 is 0-3 against SEC teams in the BCS title game. Remember Oklahoma with Sam Bradford? Broke all the scoring records in 2008? Including 3 or 4 straight games of 60+ points? They got shut down by Florida. ;)

Saban's LSU team beat Oklahoma in 2003 as well. Saban's Bama team beat Texas in 2009 also. All three teams had great defenses. This year's LSU and Bama's defenses are way better than any of those three. It would likely have been a rout.

what the hell was going on with OKIE fans crashing the pitch and destroying it?

First conference championship for them in forever! They've been losers for so long they don't know how to handle success! :P

Kentucky fans did the same thing, to a lesser degree when they beat Tennessee for the first time in like 30+ years. The SEC fined them $50,000 due to the conference rule banning fans from the field (for safety reasons).

I remember when Tennessee beat Alabama for the first time in a decade in the early 80's, the fans stormed the field and tore down the goal posts, carried the pieces out of the stadium into the streets. Bunch of goddamn hooligans... :P

The Heisman Trophy finalists have been announced:

Andrew Luck - Stanford QB
Trent Richardson - Alabama RB
Robert Griffin III - Baylor QB
Tyrann Mathieu - LSU CB/Kick Returner
Montee Ball - Wisconsin RB

Andrew Luck has had a good season, going 11-1 and beating USC's Matt Barkley head-to-head in overtime, but some people feel Matt Barkley has had a better season stats wise. He did beat Oregon on the road, and Oregon beat Stanford on the road.

Trent Richardson, I've said it before, he is the strongest player pound for pound in the nation and leads the nation in yards gained after contact, just like his predecessor Mark Ingram, who won the Heisman 2 years ago. I don't know if he's had the best season of any player, but he's the best in the SEC. Only 5th in the nation in yards gained and TDs scored, but 2nd in overall yards gained. He can catch passes and run with them too. And they actually play defense in the SEC. He had over 180 total yards against LSU, if that is any indication.

Robert Griffin has had a great season. He's the best dual threat QB in the country. If the Baylor Bears had any semblance of a defense, they could be undefeated, and you could say the same thing of Oklahoma State.

Tyrann Mathieu, what can I say? He's the best defensive back the country has seen since Charles Woodson of Michigan, who won the Heisman himself. What the Honey Badger wants, he gets. His stats are impressive. 4 TDs scored - 2 on punt returns, one interception run back, and a fumble recovery run back. Four fumbles caused and 2 interceptions. The scary thing is, he's a Sophomore!

Montee Ball is chasing Barry Sanders' college football record for rushing TDs scored, just 1 TD behind. He's scored 38 TDs, 12 more than the next guy. He only needs 2 more TDs in the Rose Bowl and he'll have the record all to himself. He also leads the nation in rushing yards.

I was told that Trent is projected to finish 3rd in the voting, and I don't have a problem with that, however, he earned his yards in a tough defensive-minded conference. If he doesn't get the Heisman, I'm sure he will be in consideration for other top honors. The team will have their eyes on the bigger prize.... the national championship. B|

So I'm watching the largely insignificant bowl in Charlotte. Playing for Louisville is this 6'3" 205 lb true freshman QB called Teddy Bridgewater. Good wheels, good arm, tough as nails kept getting up after about 30 knockdowns. He threw 3 picks but hey, he's a true freshman starting a bowl game.
Gonna keep my eye on him.

Montee Ball is chasing Barry Sanders' college football record for rushing TDs scored, just 1 TD behind. He's scored 38 TDs, 12 more than the next guy. He only needs 2 more TDs in the Rose Bowl and he'll have the record all to himself. He also leads the nation in rushing yards.

While technically correct, this is statistically incorrect. Sanders scored 44 touchdowns in 1988. Bowl games did not count in the NCAA's statistical records until 2002. And when bowl games were included, they were not made retroactive.

Thus Sanders' 222 yards rushing and five touchdowns against Wyoming in the Holiday Bowl do not count in his NCAA records of 2,628 yards rushing and 39 TDs. His actual totals for 1988 were 2,850 yards and 44 touchdowns.

Ball really needs to score 7 TD's, but who's counting...
--------------------------------------------------
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail

While technically correct, this is statistically incorrect. Sanders scored 44 touchdowns in 1988. Bowl games did not count in the NCAA's statistical records until 2002. And when bowl games were included, they were not made retroactive.

Thus Sanders' 222 yards rushing and five touchdowns against Wyoming in the Holiday Bowl do not count in his NCAA records of 2,628 yards rushing and 39 TDs. His actual totals for 1988 were 2,850 yards and 44 touchdowns.

Then again, who the fuck is Wyoming and what have they done lately? :P

Sanders was the best RB ever to put on cleats.

And what's the logic behind only counting bowl game stats since '02 ? The NCAA is so inadequate, you'd think they were actually a government agency.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."