slotperfect

Looking For Slider Keeper Source

Does antone know where I can find one of those slider keepers made of bungee and a plastic ball that goes around the reserve pin protector flap??

I found a lot of conversations about them in older threads, but no references as to where they can be bought!?!?!?

I'm looking for a US online source.
Arrive Safely

John

I'm probably going with the "slocks" or "riser barbs" or "slider locks" on the risers.

I found a picture of some I think will work well:

http://www.paratec.de/index_start.html

Of course, being me, I plan to bounce the idea off Sun Path tomorrow. I'm sure they have seen it before and will have some sage advice for me.
Arrive Safely

John

Derek is a senior rigger with over 3k jumps and is a complete I/E.

Or was, with the ratings, since he let his ratings expire.;)

OK Dave,
However, I do not not know as his profile is incomplete and we are in a "technical" forum where a complete profile MAY influence my response...

PS: I still do not advocate "attaching" myself to an open (and flying) parachute by any means...

If you're going to use slider keepers on the front risers, there's a bunch of designs. about 8 years ago, I put some on my risers and have ever since.

2 and 3/4 inches of 1 inch type 4

fold it over about a 1/4 inch on one end, fold the other end up to meet it.

To reinforce the catch, perform a double pass of a zig zag down the middle, and on both edges. ( three rows )

On the front of the front riser, Mark about 1/2 inch up from the confluence wrap.

Place the type 4 at the mark. The 1/4 fold over should be away from the 3 rings.

About an inch up take a double zig zag pass width wise. Do the same at the top end.

By double zig zag pass. I mean... Sew a zig zag stitch... pick up the foot and start over from the beginning of the pattern.

Here's a diagram minus the 3 Zig zag stitches. I stole this diagram and modified it slightly. I don't know who created it otherwise I'd give them credit.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

PS: I still do not advocate "attaching" myself to an open (and flying) parachute by any means...

The risk (zero, or very, very little) of a Velcro slider keeper (that isn't over-built with gobs of Velcro) not releasing versus the slider going back up the risers and causing a control or visibility problem are in favor of having a slider keeper. The Velcro simply won’t the jumper’s weight (X any “g’s” they are pulling if spinning).

The way I build them is so that there is 3 ways for them to release. The Velcro holding the slider will probably release first but if it doesn’t, I attach the keeper with Velcro under the reserve flap. Since this Velcro has to shear to release, it holds better than the Velcro holding the slider. Lastly, if neither Velcro connections release, the reserve flap should open with the jumper’s weight is placed on it.

Derek

I'd avoid the ball and bungie. It will not release in an entanglement/horseshoe.

I have seen the results of 3 such hang ups, all from brakelines, or risers on deployment. Fortunately for the two jumpers they were able to clear the mal without a breakaway or further incident.

The only two methods I like for a slider keepewr are the "slocks", or the velcro. I use the velcro as it works well, and I've tested it's release.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

What about the velcro slider keepers that are on the jumpsuit rather than the rig itself, what do you guys think of those? My Kurupee suit has one, but since I currently don't have a collapsible slider haven't used it, but plan on it in the future, if it's safe that is. Thanks.
Brian

<><><><><><><><><><><>

The greatest risk you take in life is the risk you don't take.

What about the velcro slider keepers that are on the jumpsuit rather than the rig itself, what do you guys think of those?

Only problem I have with those is I don't always wear a suit. Otherwise they work great.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

you would have shit yourself then if you had seen this guy at the holiday boogie. He had a carabiner on his chest strap he attached his slider to.
:S
Scars remind us that the past is real