Hooknswoop

Who should pay for SB's?

Agree, but I still think riggers should pack for free, just cause they love getting all hot and sweaty packing reserves:ph34r:

Hook knows I'm joking:P
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Agree, but I still think riggers should pack for free, just cause they love getting all hot and sweaty packing reserves:ph34r:

Hook knows I'm joking:P

I know of better ways of "getting all hot and sweaty".:P Of course at my age I am going on memory.[:/]

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

:o But the fun would be doing it on the customer's reserve.

Okay, I'm out of here, don't want Hook mad at me for hijacking his thread.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

OK so where are all the "you pay your money, take your chance's" people? that seems to be the idea with aircraft maintaince and dzo's cuting corners in safety.
So you paid for the rig and now it needs fixed, you pay to fix it!:P

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

It's a self-selected poll. There's a lot more gear customers than gear manufacturers on dz.com

Yes, but the manufactures are there to serve the needs of their customers, or there wouldn't be manufactures in the first place.

Of course the side effects will be more testing in the design process and the manufactures trying to prevent recalls from happening, due to being out of their pocket...all of which would drastically raise the price of gear.

There's give and take.

I know I would love for a manufacture to do the right thing, but there's no such thing as a free lunch.[:/]

My next thought is if a company makes gear for the military and something like this happens, would they charge the military for the changes, or would the military have their own riggers to the fix? Eitherway it still costs money at some point for the people involved. Has that happened before with the military? What was the course of action?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Vehicle manufacturers do it all the time for safety and defect issues. Why should a skydiving manufacturer be exempt from repairing defective gear?

Curious on why you feel a manufacturer shouldn't be responsible for the quality of their product?

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Hardly what I would call defective gear! More like a change in design that might help save your ass, why should they go broke because your cheap? Did you read the orange lable on the rig or in the front cover of the owners manual?
You pay your money and take your chances it's really that simple with any rig.
Unlike doing something knowingly to cut corners to make a buck like some DZO's have done and do with maintaince ect.
The key word being knowingly, they built the rig it passed tso
and then came to light there might be an issue that needs to be changed for safety, and knowing this info now it needs to be changed, shouldn't take a lot of work to do for a good master rigger.Nor cost a lot, how much is your safety worth?

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

If you think manufacturers should pay the cost of SBs and ADs, then you are also asking for the cost to be shifted from current owners to future owners.

Who should pay the cost for SBs and ADs that apply to orphan rigs?

Finally, if the problem that led to an SB or AD is a result of poor rigging (as the background of Mirage PSB-1204 suggests), perhaps it isn't too far-fetched to required the rigger to fix the problem.;) Except on my rig, which I'll do myself, thanks!

Mark

Hardly what I would call defective gear!

So the reserve PC not launching when the AAD fires isn't defective?

More like a change in design that might help save your ass, why should they go broke because your cheap?

You can't have it both ways. If it is such a cheap fix, they won't go broke.

Unlike doing something knowingly to cut corners to make a buck like some DZO's have done and do with maintaince ect.

They should stand behind their product and not expect the owner to pay to fix their design issue.

Derek

Hardly what I would call defective gear!

Really, I seem to remember some models of Raven reserves blowing up. Guess that's not defective in your opinion.

My point is that if it's something for the rig/main/reserve to be better/prettier/etc then sure, buyer pays up. If it's a defective/danger issue then the manufacturer should pay up.

Did you read the orange lable on the rig or in the front cover of the owners manual?

Yeah I did. I don't remember it saying if we build something that ends up killing a bunch of people because of bad design that they don't have to fix it.

You may be refering to a specific bulletin, I am not. I'm talking about defect related SB's.

why should they go broke because your cheap?

Ha, seriously. There's a difference between cheap and expecting the product to deliver what it "promises" (couldn't think of a better word but I'd like to hope you get my meaning).

Ever bought a new car? If you have and the tranny broke after you had it for 2000 miles, I bet you'd get it replaced under warranty.

Blues,
Ian

If you think manufacturers should pay the cost of SBs and ADs, then you are also asking for the cost to be shifted from current owners to future owners.

I think that like car manufacturers, they should take the cost of future SB's into account in the selling price.

Who should pay the cost for SBs and ADs that apply to orphan rigs?

SB's aren't issues on orphaned rigs since SB's are issued by the manufacturer. an AD for skydiving gear hasn't been issued in a long time. The FAA doesn't want to spend the time or money to issue an AD for skydiving gear. I think it has been 15+ years since the last skydiving gear AD was issued. If you are jumping orphaned gear, junk it and get new gear. If not, if something does happen, you are stuck w/ the AD cost. Not likely to happen though.

Finally, if the problem that led to an SB or AD is a result of poor rigging (as the background of Mirage PSB-1204 suggests), perhaps it isn't too far-fetched to required the rigger to fix the problem.Wink Except on my rig, which I'll do myself, thanks!

I have said several times that I think they should have issued a bulletin emphasizing how to properly pack a Mirage and what can happen if it isn't properly packed and skip the SB altogether.

Again, in the case of Kelli's Mustang, do you think she should have paid for towing, parts and labor for a part that Ford knew was defective? Imagine of Ford came out and said all Ford Explorers need a new airbags within the next 4 month and the owners are paying for it. If you don't replace them you will not be allowed to drive the vehicle on public roads. How well do you think that would go over?

Derek

Didn't incorrect packing play a role according to the bulletin?

Not incorrect packing, sloppy, poor packing. Too long of a closing loop and too much bulk in the ears, as I understand it.

No rig should be expected to open if it was incorrectly packed.

Again, I think Mirage Sys should have issued a bulletin clarifying packing the Mirage reserve and skipped the SB.

Derek

One incident has been reported overseas in which 2 Mirage containers failed to immediately deploy their
reserves on the same jump after Cypres activations. Both jumpers deployed their mains and landed safely
without further incident. Although details of the incident were vague, Mirage Systems was able to inspect
the team gear involved and to review their typical packing procedures.

Above is a quote from the SB in question.

If the cypres fired and the container failed to immediately open, how in the hell did they still have time to deploy their mains. Could this possibly be a case of low pull, 2 out and not enough drag to pull the reserve/freebag from a tight container?

Sparky

Hook, the last AD was issued in 1993 to RI.

Yeah I did. I don't remember it saying if we build something that ends up killing a bunch of people because of bad design that they don't have to fix it.

!!!WARNING!!!

Parachuting is a hazardous activity and there are dangers, which sometimes cannot be foreseen. No one should attempt to make a parachute jump unless they have been thoroughly trained by an experienced and qualified instructor. There are no guarantees that any equipment will function as intended, regardless of how it is assembled, packed, maintained or used. Serious injury or death can result from the use, misuse, or attempted use of any parachute equipment.

This, or something close to it, is found in every owner's manual I have seen in the last 10 years.
Either your memory is bad or you just didn't take time to read it.

Sparky

If the cypres fired and the container failed to immediately open, how in the hell did they still have time to deploy their mains. Could this possibly be a case of low pull, 2 out and not enough drag to pull the reserve/freebag from a tight container?

I was told the guys pulled their mains but were not under canopy until after the cypres fired... Low main pull... They should have had two out, but the reserve PC never came out.

I was told the guys pulled their mains but were not under canopy until after the cypres fired... Low main pull... They should have had two out, but the reserve PC never came out.

Told by whom?

There are no guarantees that any equipment will function as intended, regardless of how it is assembled, packed, maintained or used.

Sparky, I don't take that as a statement saying "Hey if it doesn't work and we find out why, we're not going to bother fixing it unless you pay for it". I accept the risks if I plowed in because of a defect on my rig (much as I'd really rather not have that happen ;)). However, should that happen, I also expect the manufacturer to take the steps to try and prevent it happening again to someone else. If they have a bad design, they need to fix it IMO.

Recalls in the automotive industry are normally because of a number of malfunctions caused by the same components. When they do a recall it's because they found something wrong with the product they initially released and take active steps to prevent it happening again by replacing/repairing the component. That's all I expect from the manufacturers in any industry. As a software engineer it's expected of me regularly. We release a product, bugs are found, we fix them in that version at no cost to our customers. If they want NEW features, well then....they pay up just like everyone else ;)

Blues,
Ian