bch7773

sell a canopy without a reline?

Got a question for you all:

If I were to sell a used canopy, that probably needed a reline pretty soon (like next 100 jumps)

is it smarter to play $200+ dollars for a reline, then sell it; or should I just sell it as is, and tell the person about the lines' condition?

Normally I see canopies for sale that are relined, but do you make back the $200 when you sell it relined?

MB 3528, RB 1182

Sell it as is but let the buyer know what you think/know about the line condition. Suggest strongly that the buyer have his/her rigger check it out prior to making the purchase final.

Adjust the price based on how many jumps you/your rigger/buyer's rigger feel the lines have left in them. Figure roughly 400 jumps to a line set so if it needs lines now drop the price by $200, will need within a hundred jumps drop the price by $150-ish, etc.

Couldn't you just put in the ad that it needs a reline, or will need one soon? Is legal paperwork really necessary?

While it may be the buyer's choice to NOT reline it and jump it as is... that doesn't mean the family wouldn't take legal action if something happened.

In today's world, it's always better to write everything out and never need it, than to not write it out and need it.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Couldn't you just put in the ad that it needs a reline, or will need one soon? Is legal paperwork really necessary?

While it may be the buyer's choice to NOT reline it and jump it as is... that doesn't mean the family wouldn't take legal action if something happened.

In today's world, it's always better to write everything out and never need it, than to not write it out and need it.

Ya... I faced the same thing selling a paraglider... But instead of saying what the canopy needed, I simply stated in the bill of sale:

"Seller, while he personally few and owned the paraglider, is not qualified to judge the airworthyness of the wing and buyer is required to take full responsibility for it's use, obtaining professional advice, and having any inspections and repairs completed that are necessary to make it airworthy. Wing was purchased new on XX/XX/XXXX from XXXX, flown XXX times, stored XX months without use since last flight, and has had no modifications or repairs."

I would never put in a legal document that the wing needs "this" - because if it needed "that" too, and I did not know I needed "that", I might open myself up to problems for implying that only one repair was needed to make the rig safe. EDIT TO ADD: And it would imply that I was qualified to inspect the rig.

Now - not in writing, I would fully disclose what I knew, like "dude, I have not had this relined, it might be due. Ask your rigger to look at that." Just my thoughts...

You may have a point, I've asked lawrocket for his thoughts on the matter. For me personally, disclosure is always the best course. But as mentioned, times are changing.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

tdog is slick. ;) He did what I would do. That is, state only trhe facts that a reasonable jumper would know.

Don't say things like, "It needs a reline." That would indicate that you have sufficient expertise to know about need for relines. If there's a problem about the canopy you didn't know about, the statement "it needs a reline" would tend to show that you SHOULD have known about the other problems.

There are no set guidelines that I am aware of regarding the sale of a parachute system. But if I were selling one, I'd be over-inclusive in my disclosures. Think about these gem waivers that skydivers sign, where they are told again and again how they can die. When selling aerodynamic decelleration devices, it would behoove you to disclose the same way you would a house - tell them everything.

Odds are, you'll still sell it, and you cover your ass.

One more thing - in disclosing everything, you may actually save the buyer's life. Shouldn't that mean something?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

You may have a point, I've asked lawrocket for his thoughts on the matter. For me personally, disclosure is always the best course.

I agree that disclosure is the best thing... By writing in the bill of sale:

Wing was purchased new on XX/XX/XXXX from XXXX, flown XXX times, stored XX months without use since last flight, and has had no modifications or repairs."

I have disclosed exactly what I HAVE or HAVE NOT done (which are documented facts) - but I am not documenting what SHOULD be done in the future or making any professional claims... A rigger + responsible buyer should then know what should be done based upon what I have not done....

Same logic process if I was selling a car and someone asked, "Does it need brakes?"

I would say, "It has 60,000 miles and I have never replaced the brakes. I have no clue how long they will last, but I can tell you how long I have used them. Do you want to take off a tire and look for yourself? I will get the jack."

If lawrocket replies to you, please let me know his view too... EDIT: our post X in the mail... He already replied.

when I bought my canopy, I'd have been really pissed if the seller hadn't told me it was in need of a reline. If I'd sold my other main, planning on jumping this one, and then had to send it to PD for six weeks (that's how long it's been gone), that'd really tick me off. Best to be honest with your buyers.