NewGuy2005

Remember the Alamo!

This book is compiled from the diaries of a Mexican soldier at the Battle of the Alamo.
It's been translated and a damn good read.
This account is from the diary of José Enrique de la Peña.

Another good read is "Sea of Mud", by Gregg Dimmick. It tells the story of the battle of San Jacinto from the Mexican viewpoint, and the subsequent aftermath.

The three branches of the Mexican Army were trying to consolidate for a counter-attack, and if they had succeeded, they might well have defeated the Texans, and changed the course of history. The southwest United States might still belong to Mexico. However, torrential rainstorms flooded all the rivers and turned the prairie into a "sea of mud" which bogged down the Mexican armies, and they were unable to move their troops, supply wagons, and cannon, or to ford rivers. Amongst much controversy amidst the officers, they eventually gave up and retreated to Mexico, where many of the officers were then court-martialed for their defeat and the humiliation of Mexican honor.

A Frenchman, an Englishman, a Texan, and a Mexican are flying in a plane.
The pilot explains to her passengers that the plane is too heavy and in order to avoid an ugly crash, some weight needs to be removed from the plane. After removing all the unnecessary items (baggage,etc.), the pilot reports that the plane is still too heavy and yet more weight needs to be removed. She then asks if any of the passengers would be brave enough to give up their own lives to save the others.
The Frenchman stands, raises his glass,says "Viva la France!" and jumps out of the plane. This not being enough, the Englishman stands up, raises his glass, says"Long live the Queen!" and jumps out of the plane. Still this is not enough weight removed so the Texan stands up, raises his glass, says "Remember the Alamo?" and throws the Mexican out.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

This book is compiled from the diaries of a Mexican soldier at the Battle of the Alamo.

It's been translated and a damn good read.

This account is from the diary of José Enrique de la Peña .

http://www.cah.utexas.edu/exhibits/Pena/panel_1.php

I took a class from a guy (Crisp) who had done extensive work on the de la Pena papers. He was convinced they were genuine although there has been some controversy about that.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

You too? I especially enjoy Texas history and history of the Western U.S.

Chuck

yo mean northern Mexico?

My cousin works there. I've been told he's gotten some of the other workers piqued at him for telling visitors both sides of the story.

(edited to clarify & add more information, fix formatting errors)
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

I still get a little choked-up whenever I visit The Alamo. It's changed a lot over the years, since my first visit when I was 11-yrs. old. A great reminder of those who died for Texas independence.

Remember the Alamo?:ph34r:

Do we ever:) Saw the movie starring John Wayne that was released in the 60's.

What would you like to know about the
Alamo:)

Chuck

One Jump Wonder

So you're saying it was a war of Northern Aggression?

Wendy P.

In a sense it was. Wars are often precursors to subsequent wars. The Texas war is viewed by some historians as a precursor to the US-Mexican War, which took place about a decade later. One then-junior US Amy officer, who served with distinction in the Mexican War, wrote some decades later that he viewed the Mexican War as a shameful example, of which he took little personal pride, of a more powerful nation (the US) deliberately launching an aggressive war against a weaker one (Mexico), on a trumped-up pretext, principally for the purpose of annexing the weaker nation's territory. His name was Ulysses S. Grant.