skip

Bone Head Mamba

I don't wear glasses, but I can put on my Gatorz with the helmet on and have no problems. It was slightly uncomfortable putting them on, but once seated, it felt fine.

Interesting.

An exerpt of the text reads: "The new lens closing mechanism requires the jumper to squeeze the lens together to allow the closing pin to be released from it's locking position at the forehead area in order not to make a push-in button on the chin susceptible to knock and unwanted lens openings during the most intense skydives"

I'm confused.

Does this mean a closing pin is used to keep the lens closed? Or keep the lens open?

Does this mean the lens can't easily be opened or closed under canopy?

If I'm reading this correcly, once the closing pin has been released, you would need to remove the helmet to "reset" the closing pin - making opening or closing of the lens a one-shot deal.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Does this mean a closing pin is used to keep the lens closed?

don't think "closing pin" as we know it. There is a pin in the top of the visor that fits into a slot when the visor is closed.

Does this mean the lens can't easily be opened or closed under canopy?

It's pretty easy.

If I'm reading this correcly, once the closing pin has been released, you would need to remove the helmet to "reset" the closing pin - making opening or closing of the lens a one-shot deal.

Nope, you can open and close it as many time as you like while wearing it.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Just a few more questions for anyone that has worn one of these. I am still trying to imagine the flip top release system, when you “squeeze” the visor together does it simply lift the top portion off the pin thus freeing it for movement? Can you do this with one hand? Is it very very secure when shut. I can’t afford to have my gear blow open and risk loosing my contacts – I would be fucked.

Thanks

neil

“squeeze” the visor together does it simply lift the top portion off the pin thus freeing it for movement? Can you do this with one hand?

It takes two hands, squeezing from either side of the visor. It 'bows' the visor and it lift the center up a bit and allows it to clear the pin at the top of the helmet.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I think I'll be ordering an XXL come March - see how it fits meine grosse kapf. They've already said there'll be no problem sending me one to check out as long as I don't jump it (fat chance of THAT in Kosovo!).

I'll decide then if there's going to be enough room to put in an audible, and order one if there's room.

A question: Is there anyplace to order one online, or do you have to do it via their .pdf order form?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

A question: Is there anyplace to order one online, or do you have to do it via their .pdf order form?

Is the .pdf form on the Bonehead site? I guess you're having problems with that?

Try ordering from Square One, then.

ltdiver

Just received mine! It took till the end of he day to finally jump it. After 5 tandems I got to do a sunset AFF jump, a level 5 with 90 turns.

Observations:

Excellent styling, light weight, and very good visibility. It's awfully quite as well. That probably has something to do with the viper pits for vent holes. It also holds up well under stress. (My student has a very flat body position coupled with assymetrical legs. He's able to hold a heading, but as soon as he begins a turn it goes to shit.) After a 720 I redocked and got kicked in the head in the process. The helmet remained in place without any noticable movement. I re-released around 9 thou and we did it all over again. This time I went for a head shot and got punched and ended up on reserve side. He did, however, pull around 5 and I had some time to bootie fly for a bit. Under canopy I was able to open and close the visor without any issues. If you are a R-dub freak and are looking for a great helmet, it has arrived. B|

Works fine in a sit, but I cannot tell you about head down. No probs diving down to a FS formation. Again, quiet with great visibility. Did I mention that it's light in weight? The shield is very sturdy and can easily be opened under canopy. Best thing to do is ask your local gear store for a demo. B|

Over 40 jumps with the new helmet and around 20 minutes of tunnel. I still love it, but had to tighten the chin strap a little in the tunnel. B|

Everyone wants to try it on and touch it. It's difficult to keep the finger prints off of it, too!:D

Anyone want to buy a used Z1?! :o:ph34r:

We are now working on the XL-XXL shell. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it will be big enough.

I know I'm impatient... but are the ready yet ?:)

I'm waiting for an update on the XXL shells too - hope they come out soon!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Hey, murrays,

I tried one on and the visor stopped against the outside edge my glasses frames. This kept the visor open about an inch or so. I also tried my spare glasses and my Rx goggles, but for me nothing worked. I had to return the helment >:(.

Too bad; it's a sweet looking helmet. Depending on your frames, I would recommend a helmet with a visor that's not as tapered. I was orginally looking at a Havok, but I was told they are noisy and pieces of junk. YMMV

...the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.
- T.E. Lawrence

Hey, murrays,

I tried one on and the visor stopped against the outside edge my glasses frames. This kept the visor open about an inch or so. I also tried my spare glasses and my Rx goggles, but for me nothing worked. I had to return the helment >:(.

Too bad; it's a sweet looking helmet. Depending on your frames, I would recommend a helmet with a visor that's not as tapered. I was orginally looking at a Havok, but I was told they are noisy and pieces of junk. YMMV

Talk with hottamaly, but something -could- have been done to accommodate your glasses. When I went in and tried on their Mamba she mentioned that she could possibly build up the foam in the front of the helmet...thus keeping the helmet's visor off my glasses better.

Put more foam in the front and less in the back puts the helmet farther forward on your head.

It is a sweet helmet and I look forward to getting one myself this year.

ltdiver