wmw999

Drain Augurs?

I have a clog in the A/C outflow; it's a 3/4" pipe, with LOTS of 90 degree bends (lousy original engineering). I had a plumber here, and by sucking on the clog, we turned it from VERY slow to completely stopped. He said that there isn't an augur that'll go through the 90 degree bend in that small a pipe, but I figured that one of the experts on dz.com will know for sure :ph34r:.

Right now there's drain cleaner in the outflow, and the A/C is draining into the tub via a hose. We're waiting for the drain cleaner to work. It's a very effective interior design statement; goes well with the primer over the stains in the ceiling where it originally backed up.

Thoughts?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

A/C as in air conditioner?
This is the condensate drain?

Bleach poured into the air handler's drip pain or right into the drain.
Air hose to force it clear...it's just algae and other growth.
Ick.
Just be careful with the air hose...sometimes those drains have no PVC glue on the piping anywhere....makes it easier to clear clogs!

Wendy don't they sell a goofy pipe cleaning thing at CVS for that kind of stuff?
it's a bendy plastic thing.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I don't know bro it's one of those plastic things they sell for $19.95 used to pull hair out of drains.
They sell them at CVS.
What do i freaking look like a mechanical engineer!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

They won't go past multiple 90 degree bends. The best solution as previously stated is compressed air. Ideally, you want to push it back they way it came, rather than push it out the way it is going. You run the risk of creating a clog that can't be cleared.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

We've already successfully turned it from slow to completely stopped. It's several hours later, and there's still no disgusting mess in the pan under the outflow pipe. I was really hoping for a disgusting mess.

Compressed air is next -- we were hoping not to use that, because of the possibility of blowing a joint (no, not that kind of joint -- get your minds out of the gutter!).

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I thought we were pretty good not commenting how you were sucking on the pipe.

Can you push the clog back upstream by using compressed air. Trying to push it further downstream will probably not work.

Or just replace the pipe. How much can a few sticks of PVC and some cement cost?

It has been an interesting thread with so much blowing and sucking and disgusting messes. ;)

For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

What's the pipe made out of? If its plastic or copper, just cut it in a couple places, clean it out and stick it back together. Plastic you can glue, copper you can get rubber splices with radiator clamps.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

It's PVC pipe, run through the wall, across some floor, down the next wall (A/C unit is on the second floor), to the bottom of a sink drain. It's the part where it runs along the floor where it's blocked.

If I have to, I'll cut a big hole in the ceiling and replace stuff (it would take a hole in the ceiling); if that happens, it'll definitely be replaced with something flexible.

The original installation had about 4 90 degree angles up at the top where it came out the drip pan; when the unit was replaced, I told them to make sure there was a good angle coming out, and they did. I just never thought about everything below, and the pan after that was sealed, so I couldn't pour bleach down periodically. No T on it either -- the sealed pan was supposed to prevent the need. Ah well, live and learn.

Wendy P.

Compressed air in 10lb increments... Once it gives... Really hot water to flush... NEVER CHEMICALS...[/reply you also might want someone to stuff a wet rag in the sink drain to avoid "blow-back" if you choose to blow the drain. You can't s
"snake" 3//4 tubing. You usually blow it w/ CO or nitrogen..

Well, the chemicals are already in there. I tried to buy a can of compressed air at the hardware store, but apparently they don't sell those any more.

I sucked out the first load of nasty chemicals this morning. Lots of nasty goo came out; the shop vac is very clean now. Then I tried blowing backwards with the shop vac, with no luck. So more chemicals went down, and I'll repeat the process tomorrow. If no luck by the end of teh weekend, I'll call the plumber back with his compressor.

He said (and the A/C guy also said) that the joints in these A/C outflow pipes aren't always glued super-well, so they were both concerned about using the compressor. The only thing I want less than to have to tear into the ceiling to re-do the pipe, is to first have an explosion of lye and goo, and then have to tear in to the ceiling to re-do the pipe.

Wendy P.

A can of compressed air as in the stuff people use to clean the dust from the keyboards?

That won't work. you're going to need a compressor and a fitting.
If nothing works you can always soak the wall/ceiling in gasoline. Once their really wet, light a match. It should boil the condensation in the pipe and remove the clog. Even if it doesn't, you won't have to worry about the A/C anymore since you'll be moving to a new home.
My photos

My Videos

No, there used to be cans of compressed air sold for the purpose of opening drains -- they were definitely stronger than what is used for keyboards.

No longer available as far as I can tell. I think htat means I'm old.

Wendy P.

No, there used to be cans of compressed air sold for the purpose of opening drains -- they were definitely stronger than what is used for keyboards.

No longer available as far as I can tell. I think htat means I'm old.

Wendy P.

I remember those. Meant to be used upside-down with a rubber seal on the nozzle. I guess you could add those to the "Remember When?" thread. :P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

maybe try running an electricians fishtape... through it...

they are small yet flexible.. if the line has 90s in it,,, AND if you "pre bend " the end of the fishtape to make it easier to make those turns...... you might be able to Push through the blockage,, and then work the tape as neeeded,,,, to fully clear the line......

for Sure.. you need to have the A C working......:|

good luck.

jmy