kallend

The "45 Degree Rule" for exit separation DOES NOT WORK

I'm not sure whats not fling with you but I never said the 45 deg works. I said working with the student in the door showing them what is safe for that day is the best way. So please tell what part of that you don't like and please fill me in on what you think is the best way. I am always open to opinions in helping myself teach

I'm good with what you wrote. I was only pointing out that just advising someone to tell them "what's safe" depends on the coach actually-knowing-what's-safe. Which isn't always guaranteed. Which is the point of the thread.

I think you get it just fine. We just like to be sure.

A good demo to teach, if you and the others have time, is to show them the simulations. It makes the points very clear and prompts people to learn the right thing on their own.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Ok I knew if I posted here this would happen. I don't think giving everyone on a load say 7 second works because lets say the first group is a 7way belly and the next to groups are free fliers 3 ways then some solo's. I would give the first group more time.

I never said 7 seconds, did I? What I talked about works out to 10-11 seconds, plenty for less than 10 way RW. Big groups get more time, solos maybe 5 seconds, high winds aloft call for more time everywhere. You said counting doesn't work. It does for me. You have to know what to count to, though. Let us know when you ready for advice. :)

You have to know what to count to

ahh, once again we return to the real point (and how to determine what to count to)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Ok I knew if I posted here this would happen. I don't think giving everyone on a load say 7 second works because lets say the first group is a 7way belly and the next to groups are free fliers 3 ways then some solo's. I would give the first group more time.

I never said 7 seconds, did I? What I talked about works out to 10-11 seconds, plenty for less than 10 way RW. Big groups get more time, solos maybe 5 seconds, high winds aloft call for more time everywhere. You said counting doesn't work. It does for me. You have to know what to count to, though. Let us know when you ready for advice. :)

I never said you did!! I was using that number as a example. We can go back and forth all day. I am just trying to say that telling a student to count to any number without explaining to them why is not wise thats all. You have a lot more experience here so there is no disrespect. So with that said I am always open to advice.
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Funny story, We were doing a 12 way out of a caravan and the uppers were strong., 3000' under was fairly calm <15 mph. Well of course there was a guy doing a solo, so I spoke to him and explained that we were getting out a bit early due to climb out and that he would be fine if he gave us at least 30 solid seconds. He did a great job and opened in a perfect upwind location away from all of us but his story was priceless. He told me he sat there alone in the plane and counted 1 (1000) 2 (1000) these guys are screwing me (1000) 3 (1000), I am landing off (1000). He proceeded to sweat all the way to 30. He tells the story often of how he thought we were messing with him. I always imagined him sitting there alone shaking his head and counting.

You have to know what to count to

ahh, once again we return to the real point (and how to determine what to count to)

A much talked about and misunderstood subject. Answers to this question can be found HERE and HERE. The first link is to an Excel sheet thats meant to be taped next to the door of the A/C for reference. See the second link for a brief description of how to use it.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Bumping this after being told that a very experienced jumper (world champion, multiple time national champion, world record holder) advised a following group of freefliers to wait until his group made an angle of 45 degrees...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Bumping this after being told that a very experienced jumper (world champion, multiple time national champion, world record holder) advised a following group of freefliers to wait until his group made an angle of 45 degrees...

Maybe they didn't like the freeflyers and hoped this would keep them stuck in the plane?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

So...who was the "very experienced jumper (world champion, multiple time national champion, world record holder)?

Maybe I can avoid jumping in the group ahead of him/her.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239