CanuckInUSA

Dreaming of ownership

I find myself dreaming of aircraft ownership again. Of course this would definetely mean having to continue to work in the corporate world (a place that has driven me just a tad crazy these last 20 years). But before I can even come close to being serious about owning an aircraft I will need to come up with the money and while I was planning on selling my house and downsizing to a much smaller cheaper home which would free up some $$$ to buy an airplane, it's likely not the smartest thing to do with one's money (there's no way in hell that owning an aircraft would be good for one's retirement ... unless of course the aircraft appreciated and you could re-sell it).

Anyway here's a couple of links of three radically different aircraft I think I could buy (if I sold my house). I'm sure none of these aircraft will be on the market if/when I do get around to selling my house. But it gives you an idea as to the type of plane I'd like to have (of course any aircraft purchase must be made carefully without emotions getting too involved).

1) This hot rod already built experimental aerobatic airplane. This airplane would be ultra-fun like a fighter jet (to me), but could it be re-sold in the future and how much insurance would I have to pay and what about access to spare parts?

2) This one is a Citabria aerobatic tail dragger with the ever so important upgraded mental spar wing assembly. This plane should be cheaper to operate, cheaper to insure and likely easier to re-sell.

3) There is also a low-time a Cessna 177 (Cardinal) found in the inventory section of their web site with fixed gear that I'd post the URL for except that the site uses Javascript and the url to the airplane is not shown. Anyway this would be a great cross-country airplane and it should be easier to insure as well as resell.

So am I just plain nuts for dreaming of aircraft ownership, or is this normal for aviators to feel this way?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

but it's not cheap and it's old.

Yeah, I know.[:/] That's why a champ is on my list as well. Still a very cool AC, they are old, but damnit those are cool planes.

(got to jump out of a Champ a couple of years ago, that was badass).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm with you. I'm almost there. I promised myself that I wouldn't fly anymore until I could afford my own plane and a place to keep it. That'll be my next purchase after I get the house paid off. B| Citabrias are nice and if well maintained keep their value. Not very fast though. Not sure how the maintenance records of Cardinals are. The retrac gear and constant speed props cost extra to maintain.

The Cardinal is just an example. I'd love a Cessna 182, but those are not cheap. A Cessna 172 is more likely than a 182, but there are no real "gotcha" deals out there that I can find right now and even if I did find it, I'm not in a position to buy right now. I'm just dreaming ... :ph34r:

Piper Archers and some older Cherokees are also in the running (cheaper than Cessnas), but a well maintained Cessna should always sell. The demand for Pipers isn't as high. Oh I'd love a Beech or a modern Mooney aircraft, but those are too expensive for me.

I'm really thinking someone else's homebuilt (I'd rather fly these next 5-10 years and not be stuck building for 5-10 years), a good Citrabria with some added hp or a Cessna 172 or 177 with fixed gear.

The plane you choose should be based on the type of flying you want to do (and can afford). Those are three very different planes there. Start narrowing down what you want your plane to be able to do. Cross country machine? Aerobatic? Number of seats? Don't even look at whats available yet. Decide what you want to be able to do with your plane. Then see what you can actually buy to do it.

Dave

The plane you choose should be based on the type of flying you want to do (and can afford).

Oh I've thought of that for a long time now. Historically I've always liked cross-country general aviation. But I'd rather limit things to a two place aircraft or a four placer but only carry one passenger. The thought of aerobatics is new to me (I have no real world experience in aerobatics ... yet). But the powerful homebuilt (like the one shown) is likely a good candidate for duel cross-country flight and solo aerobatics. The Citrabria is purely an affordable entry level aerobatic airplane and well the Cessna is your classic cross-country trainer. I still like the bang for the buck of a homebuilt aircraft. But there are issues with this route. Of course I'm sure there's issues with all forms of aircraft ownership (initial cost, fixed costs, operating costs, normal maintenance, annual inspection and resulting maintenance and that ever so regretted and expensive engine overhaul time).

What kills me is the cost of fuel now exceeds what I used to rent 172's for (in $/hr).

When I was commuting with my own plane the first 3 months were a real kick - then it got like driving a car.

All that said - If I could get away with it I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

So... what did ya decide? :)

I'm looking at putting an RV-9a together. Old fart that owns our airport has a dozen or so under his belt and is more than willing to help me make it happen.

Ain't got the money yet, but hey, ya buy it in stages right?!

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I'm sure there's issues with all forms of aircraft ownership (initial cost, fixed costs, operating costs, normal maintenance, annual inspection and resulting maintenance and that ever so regretted and expensive engine overhaul time).

I own a Cessna 210. I hang out with a bunch of guys flying RV's, everything from 4' to the 12's.

The difference in maintenance costs and certification requirements in Canada comparing homebuilt versus certified a/c is beyond comprehension.

If I was doing it over again, for x-country pleasure, it'd be an RV10 - hands down.

My $0.02.

The difference in maintenance costs and certification requirements in Canada comparing homebuilt versus certified a/c is beyond comprehension.

If I was doing it over again, for x-country pleasure, it'd be an RV10 - hands down.

My $0.02.

Thats a VERY big part of it. Another would be that the RV9 will outfly the 172 in speed and fuel use.

Besides, it sounds kinda fun to build your own airplane.

How does your 210 compare to the -10/-12's?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

My $0.02.

Thats a VERY big part of it. Another would be that the RV9 will outfly the 172 in speed and fuel use.

Besides, it sounds kinda fun to build your own airplane.

How does your 210 compare to the -10/-12's?

The RV10 I've spent time in has slightly better cruise speed (like 3 kts), slightly less fuel burn, faster climb, better glide, similar range although mine just has the smaller factory tanks, purchase price* about the same. (He bought his used with the initial 25 flight-testing hours flown off, so it was essentially new)

* ETA (for clarification): Our aircraft cost us each about the same to purchase. BUT, mine is a 1960, his is a 2009. :(

A simple example: I installed a "certified" autopilot, he chose one for the homebuilt market. His actually has more features. I paid $14.4K four years ago. His cost him 4.2K last year. :(

I can haul a bit more gross, but the additional difference never gets used.

My annual costs me about $4K without surprises. His runs about $800.

John