AggieDave

Another Space HALO attempt

According to Yahoo News, an Aussie is now planning a skydive from a balloon at the edge of space. Sounds like fun, I wonder who'll get there and do it first though. Stated in the story, he is supposed to attempt his jump in March of 2002. Who knows, maybe with all the attention that this kind of stuff is getting in the past year or so we'll start to see more and more jumps like this. It would also be interesting to see if with in the next 10 years or so if "mainstream" sport skydiving altitudes go up due to research from stuff like this and military HALO jumps. Dang, I wouldn't mind getting 3 minutes of freefall, spotting would be a bitch though: "another good spot, we landed in the right county." :)AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

There is some info HERE. Some of the links seem to be dead, but still some interesting reading. There were jumps from 20,000 to 23,000 at our DZ last year, but I didn't have enough jumps (need 50 I think). I hope they have them again this year....that's about 1:45 seconds freefall, yahoo! I think real HALO jumps start at about 30,000+ but not sure.
Craig

"another good spot, we landed in the right county."

HA HA HA HA.....too sweet:)Hey, does anyone know....since right now I think the fastest speeds skydivers can fall (in head down) is close to 300mph, if they jump a HALO and go head down could they possibly fall even faster than 300mph? (The answer may seem obvious to some but I was never good at science so your opinion would be appreciated:)MUCH LOVE AND BLUE SKIES!
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

Actually, I believe that the 300mph figure is the fastest speed for a jump that started below 15,000' I think I remember reading that the current altitude record holder (Kittinger?) clocked in at around 650mph on his belly, which was just under the speed of sound. I know on Cheryl Stearns' web page it said she was actually supposed to break the speed of sound if everything went according to plan on her upcoming jump.

Carrie Wrote:
Hey, does anyone know....since right now I think the fastest speeds skydivers can fall (in head down) is close
to 300mph, if they jump a HALO and go head down could they possibly fall even faster than 300mph? (The
answer may seem obvious to some but I was never good at science so your opinion would be appreciated.)

Someone correct me if I am wrong but yes, you could reach a higher speed. As you increase in altitude, the density of the air decreases. This would mean that there is less drag on your body. Joe Kittenger reached about 600 some odd MPH when he jumped from 100,000 feet. He also had a drogue which helped to slow and stabilize him. The prople that are planning on breaking his altitude record are going to go drogueless I think, which will allow them to break the sound barrier (about 761MPH here in the ground, less at higher altitude)
Craig

AWESOME! Thanks Grogs, and Craig. I LOVE speed, not sure why but I'd be stoked to see anyone break the sound barrier. That wouldn't hurt a person in any way doing that??? I thought that when they first were attempting to break the barrier with airplanes that many blew up or maybe the movie I saw that in was fictional but I'm pretty sure it wasn't. I know they break it now with airplanes but does anyone know if a person doing this is at risk for anything serious like that??? I am so stoked by that information (600mph on his BELLY!) Wow....I'd love to try that someday in the future! I wonder though (I know I'm asking a lot of questions here but now you've got my curiosity going) could Kittenger *feel* how fast he was falling on his belly??? I know that the only time I've felt my speed accelerate was going from a sit to stand and I think a lot of my *feeling* that acceleration was simply b/c I was watching myself fall faster than my boyfriend in a sit. So does anyone know, does it feel a whole lot different falling at 600mph?
Again, pardon my cluelessness here but science is my WORST subject.
Much love and blue skies!
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

He was wearing a "space" type suit to survive at those altitudes so I doubt he could really feel much. I do not know what the effects of going through the sound barrier are on a human with only a soft layer of protection. When they were first attempting to break the sound barrier in aircraft they sometimes had "control reversal" which is just that. It is hard to tell what will happen passing through the sound barrier, freefall wise and what affect the shockwave will have. As you speed up try to imagine a flat sheet in front of you. It will start to take on the shape of a cone as you are pushing on it. Eventually you (or aircraft) would "break through", thus breaking the speed of sound and creating the "boom" that is often heard. You can get a general idea HERE. Typically you don't see the shockwave like you do here, but it was at a low altitude and high humidity and was literally squeezing the moisture out of the air.
Craig
Edited by Craig on 3/5/01 12:33 PM.

Hi there,
If I remember correctly, Kittigre went ransonic in a feet to earth position with the drogue and the apex 1/3rd of his 28ft round canopy already deployed (this was to stabilise him).
He wasn't really a skydiver (even by the standards of the day) and this was a test for military high altitude bail-out for pilots (so it had to be something within the capabilities of a pilot, not a brave & brilliant skydiver).
I'm also sure that there was "docudrama" made by hollywood in the early 1960's about this which went into the problems they had with body control in high altitude freefall... like you don't have any control over about 45,000ft (at least, none that's worth having). the big problem was that folk were going into uncontrollable spins (like 200+ RPM) and losing consciousness!
If these folk ARE going into pure freefall from 125,000ft then my guess is that they're going to go supersonic. I don't see that as a significant problem at that altitude (guess), but I wonder how they'll do when they transit to subsonic as they pass into thicker air. I also want to know who's going to fly video :D.
Right now I'd like to see some input from a ballistics expert?
Mike D10270.

Well, to answer some questions that have been raised. It is estimated that the sound barrier will be broken. The American that is supposed to attempting this year is jumping with a HUD type device in her full face helmet to tell her which way is up, her speed and altitude. She is going to have to freefly head down for the first 30k or so because supposedly the speed would rip her arms/legs off otherwise. That's some crazy crazy shit, I wanna try :)AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

Hi guys
A little off the topic, but still relevant, you might want to read Tom Read's book called Freefall. I bought it on Amazon. Briefly he is an ex Red Devil (British paratroopers skydiving display team) and also served in the SAS. He was going to make an attempt on Kittinger's record, but then suffered a psychological breakdown. This book is really interesting, it gives you an interesting look at skydiving and halo jumping and the story of his breakdown and subsequent recovery is enthralling. You also read about one of Kittinger's contemporaries who died in an attempt on the record. Buy it, read it, you won't be sorry.
/s