Ashtanga

Who Was Jim Slaton?

I'll tell a little story.

Scene: At a drop zone where Jim Slaton was doing student/tandem video jumps, while he was still becoming famous.

The student videos were editted immediately after their jump, and then played on the room's TV for the students and everyone else to see. The credits would roll at the end, and it would include many items, such as: Video by Jim Slaton, Music selection by Jim Slaton, Editting by Jim Slaton, Camera equipment by Jim Slaton, and so on. It got to be kind of a joke.

One day someone took a pad of those yellow sticky notes, and plastered them all over the inside of the DZ building. They said things like; Light switch by Jim Slaton, Support column by Jim Slaton, Window glass by Jim Slaton, door knob by Jim Slaton, and so on. There were about 50 of 'em scattered around.

Jim came in from a jump and one of those yellow notes caught his eye. He looked around the room and saw all the other yellow notes, and realized what was going on. He calmy walked around and collected all of the notes, without comment, and disappeared into the video room. Everyone else got a good laugh out of it.

I researched "Jim Slaton Autograph" and I found it was not worth anything. He has two pictures on his homepage signing autographs. Next time I am in Vegas I will take this to Pawn Stars.

I've signed thousands of autographs over the years too...not worth anything YET! :$

But ya never know WHAT fame the future may hold! >:(

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I researched "Jim Slaton Autograph" and I found it was not worth anything. He has two pictures on his homepage signing autographs. Next time I am in Vegas I will take this to Pawn Stars

So how about you come clean and tell us why you have such a hard-on for Jim Slaton? Truth be told, this thread is the most exposure Jim has had around here in the last year or two, so if you really have a problem with the guy, all you've done is bubbled his name right up to the surface.

I agree with the sentiment of others on this thread, you're so keen to point fingers at Jim, what the fuck have done in and for the sport?

When it comes to swooping, I know Jim was instrumental in bringing swoop comps up to a national level. I also know he was on the fore-front of developing some of the freestyle moves used in competition, and I know he was the first guy I ever saw do a blindman. I guess I could also point out that he was the driving force behind the JVX, which is really just a modded VX, and I can only assume the 'J' stands for 'Jim', so he has an ultra high-performance canopy named after him.

Did he save the world, or feed the starving children? No, not even close, but in our little world of skydiving, and the even smaller world of swooping, you can't argue with the fact that the guy has done some good and made a mark.

I researched "Jim Slaton Autograph" and I found it was not worth anything. He has two pictures on his homepage signing autographs. Next time I am in Vegas I will take this to Pawn Stars

So how about you come clean and tell us why you have such a hard-on for Jim Slaton? Truth be told, this thread is the most exposure Jim has had around here in the last year or two, so if you really have a problem with the guy, all you've done is bubbled his name right up to the surface.

I agree with the sentiment of others on this thread, you're so keen to point fingers at Jim, what the fuck have done in and for the sport?

When it comes to swooping, I know Jim was instrumental in bringing swoop comps up to a national level. I also know he was on the fore-front of developing some of the freestyle moves used in competition, and I know he was the first guy I ever saw do a blindman. I guess I could also point out that he was the driving force behind the JVX, which is really just a modded VX, and I can only assume the 'J' stands for 'Jim', so he has an ultra high-performance canopy named after him.

Did he save the world, or feed the starving children? No, not even close, but in our little world of skydiving, and the even smaller world of swooping, you can't argue with the fact that the guy has done some good and made a mark.

+1

Not to mention that he was an US Army Ranger for several years before his skydiving career, putting his life on the line in defense of his country.

BTW, in what combat arms unit did you serve your country, "Ashtanga?"

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

You do not have a website with pictures of you signing autographs. It has probably never crossed your mind. That is not you.

Why all the hatin on Mr Slaton?
What possible issue is it to you?

Seem to me that he;s trying to promote his business, which is Jim Slaton, why should it be of any concern to you at all?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Ashtanga, for the life of me i can't see the point of your thread.
I've never met Jim, but as others have said he basically put swooping on the map as far as a recognized skydiving disipline goes.
Lets not forget the others that self publisise in this sport, why not have a pop at Brian Germain for example or even your or my local DZ for blatantly advertising Tandems and Fj courses. People really shouldn't be exposed to these services, i mean who Neeeedss them anyway.
On the subject of need, What do you do to make a living, do you or the company you work for advertise, just saying.
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

Nothing against him. Just seems very egoistic to me.

LOL... and that separates him from the average skydiver how...?

B|

LOL... and that separates him from the average skydiver how...?

This is more excessive than most skydivers I know. Maybe he has money to burn. Oh well...it is what it is.

End of thread...

You get to open a thread - you don't get to close it!

Are you singling him out vs, say, Jeb Corliss, Luigi Cani or Brian Germain? All of them are very accomplished at self-promotion because they are their own brands.

BTW- what is the background to calling him "Lord" Slaton?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Luigi has pretty much fallen off the map. Maybe he is still big in Brazil.

Jeb is a self promoting Muppet. I think a lot of people on DZ.com agrees with that.

"Lord Jim"? Never heard that. Maybe he demanded his students call him that.

The truth emerges...

Luigi and Jeb have accomplished spectacular things for sport parachuting, things you will never accomplish if you live 150 years.

Jeb cannot walk down a street in China without being stopped for autographs and pictures (I watched this just last month).

Luigi is huge in South America generally and Brazil specifically, where IIRC he has his own TV show, among other high-profile gigs.

Both are accomplished at promoting their brand and product, which happens to be themselves.

Do you have as big a hard-on for Papa John, or Bill Gates?

And who the eff are YOU anyway? No real name, no info... just a bellyful of spleen for anyone who accomplishes significant things and builds on those accomplishments to accomplish other things.

You remind me of the guys Theodore Roosevelt was talking about:

"“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly... who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

B|

Jeb cannot walk down a street in China without being stopped for autographs and pictures (I watched this just last month).

David Hasselhoff can't walk in Germany without the same. Does not mean he is actually talented. :P

But it DOES mean he is successful. And that, presumably, is what he cares about.

Your envious ramblings are not doing you much good here.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Ok, I am done. I was just asking a question about self promotion I did not mean anything bad by it. I know Jim accomplished a lot.

So what did you mean by disrespecting Jeb and Luigi?

B|

But it DOES mean he is successful. And that, presumably, is what he cares about.

Skyride is successful...

And that, presumably, is all they care about.

~ CanuckInUSA