airtwardo

Need some ideas ~ asked to do a talk.

First of all they are bird lovers, all kinds of birds! You my friend have logged jumps out all kinds of birds that give most pilots wet dreams of flying and they will never get the chance to fly in them let alone fly um.... So getting to top that by getting a free ride and to jump out and dazzle the wuffo's at the big show.... how can you not have them all ears and drooling vintage fabric dope and P&W radial oil...
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

30 minutes...

Not much time really. I've done lots of talks and lectures to interested groups, including aviation related ones. They'll lap up everything if you relate it to what they do.....

Some good suggestions already, but you could also go down the historical route, starting with Da Vinci's ideas, frenchman testing out parachutes in the 1800's, with cats off towers or balloons, through Tiny Broadwick and WW1 where the Germans gave their pilots parachutes but the Allies didn't, thru the barnstormers of the20's and 30's, WW2 and paratroop forces, the 50's with early sport jumpers and into the 60's with the space programme and Colonel Joe, the development of sport gear through the 60's 70's and 80's, Tandems, AAD's through to Felix last year.....

So much info, so little time......
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

why not start with a quick explanation of what types of shows you do, (flags, pyro...) and lead into the places and shows you have been invited too and then thepilots you've met and planes you have gotten to jump out of. which could lead into a discussion about jumping out of experimental planes the regulations and what to look out for.

Jim,

Just print out some of your posts from the "Scary stories from the Old Days" thread. If you do even half as well at speaking as you did in writing them you will have their rapt attention.

Especially the night pyro demo story, if they can handle the profanity. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I was jumping Oshkosh a last year when a reporter from Houston tapped me for a quick interview...done TONS of them over the years.

However ~ the guy I spoke with there, is also a wig with the local fly-guys...he kept my number.

I got a call yesterday requesting me to give a presentation to a local EAA chapter ~ 'local boy is performer at the big show' kinda thing is what sparked the interest it seems.

I explained I'm a skydiving performer not an experimental aircraft builder or pilot...they still want me to talk.

I need some ideas from the brain trust on how to make 20-30 minutes interesting to a non-skydiving, aviation oriented audience...that won't bore the shit out of 'em.

Any thoughts??

How to survive structural failure problems in your experimental aircraft at 4,500 feet without looking too embarrassed?

I'm putting together some demo pics & vids...I jump several different EAA functions so I've got some ground stuff from a bunch of fly-in's & smaller airshows as well as Oshkosh.

Seems that they pretty much want to hear about being a demo jumper...I can talk A LOT about THAT! :$

May have shot myself in the foot however, I mentioned my better half holds the Denver to Oshkosh single engine speed record...did it a few years back in a Glasair.
And she came in 3rd out of 20 in the 1st ever 'Around the World Air Race'.

I said if she's not flying that day I'll bring her along...THEY said 'if she IS flying that day, she can come & speak the next meeting' :ph34r:

Fargan PILOTS! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I said if she's not flying that day I'll bring her along...THEY said 'if she IS flying that day, she can come & speak the next meeting'

Dude, you know if you bring your wife along no one in the room will pay attention to a damn thing you say. :D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I said if she's not flying that day I'll bring her along...THEY said 'if she IS flying that day, she can come & speak the next meeting'

Dude, you know if you bring your wife along no one in the room will pay attention to a damn thing you say. :D:D

Yup...like I said, may have shot myself in the foot! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

:)
Bring some current rigs and have them pop the main, this alone will kill 20 min...kind of a mock jump practice. But don't be surprized if some of those EAA guy/ girls have jump expirence! Bring free samples of any food! Jump in on the day of the talk? Get them to share in the cost. (Ask if any one has one of those new inflatible egress devices? Basically a inflatable air mattress that push's you out of the cockpit for a speedy exit, Hey I don't make this shit up.) I'm sure you will do well, bring the vid of the demo jumper into the crowd?>:(
Or perhaps better not??

Anyways I clicked on the liberty link on your profile page and it seems to not work? It worked in the past?

And if you really want to be a big hit: Just keep stating yo want to build your very own Lancair someday!:ph34r:
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."