nicknitro71

Question: Harness for aerobatics

Sec. 91.307

Parachutes and parachuting.

(a) No pilot of a civil aircraft may allow a parachute that is available for emergency use to be carried in that aircraft unless it is an approved type and--
(1) If a chair type (canopy in back), it has been packed by a certificated and appropriately rated parachute rigger within the preceding 120 days; or
(2) If any other type, it has been packed by a certificated and appropriately rated parachute rigger--
(i) Within the preceding 120 days, if its canopy, shrouds, and harness are composed exclusively of nylon, rayon, or other similar synthetic fiber or materials that are substantially resistant to damage from mold, mildew, or other fungi and other rotting agents propagated in a moist environment; or
(ii) Within the preceding 60 days, if any part of the parachute is composed of silk, pongee, or other natural fiber, or materials not specified in paragraph (a)(2)(i) of this section.
[(b) Except in an emergency, no pilot in command may allow, and no person may conduct, a parachute operation from an aircraft within the United States except in accordance with Part 105 of this chapter.]
(c) Unless each occupant of the aircraft is wearing an approved parachute, no pilot of a civil aircraft carrying any person (other than a crewmember) may execute any intentional maneuver that exceeds--
(1) A bank of 60 degrees relative to the horizon; or
(2) A nose-up or nose-down attitude of 30 degrees relative to the horizon.
(d) Paragraph (c) of this section does not apply to--
(1) Flight tests for pilot certification or rating; or
(2) Spins and other flight maneuvers required by the regulations for any certificate or rating when given by--
(i) A certificated flight instructor; or
(ii) An airline transport pilot instructing in accordance with Sec. 61.67 of this chapter.
(e) For the purposes of this section, approved parachute means--
(1) A parachute manufactured under a type certificate or a technical standard order (C-23 series); or
(2) A personnel-carrying military parachute identified by an NAF, AAF, or AN drawing number, an AAF order number, or any other military designation or specification number

So here they are talking about an approved parachute. Nowhere is mentioned the harness. So in theory I can put a Raven III in my BASE rig and be legal to do aerobatics or be a PIC of a jump plane.

Is this assumption correct?

Thanks
Memento Audere Semper

What makes you think "parachute" only refers to the canopy? I'd assume it refers to the entire system. I'd get that clarified before trying to get away with something. Not that I'd wanna be wearing a base rig if I had to bail out of an aerobatic plane.

Dave

To me it would seem that if your not required to wear one in which case it would have to be of an approved type, and you are not making an intentional jump, only used for a emergency you could use whatever you wanted. I mean I would want anything over nothing(over simplified)

But it does say this.
(e) For the purposes of this section, approved parachute means--
(1) A parachute manufactured under a type certificate or a technical standard order (C-23 series); or
(2) A personnel-carrying military parachute identified by an NAF, AAF, or AN drawing number, an AAF order number, or any other military designation or specification number

I guess that helps keep the fly by night operations from comming up with some old "widow maker" piece of crap and calling it a bail out rig.

Nowhere is mentioned the harness.

Read your post: (a)(2)(i).

Several other places mention wearing an approved parachute. If "parachute" means only the canopy, would you wear it toga-style?;)

If you need an inexpensive, legal pilot rig, pm me.

Mark

Hee!
Hee!
You guys are getting silly.
The entire TSO process was written around pilot emergency parachutes. Skydiving is just an embarrassing recent development that annoys bureaucrats.
The FAA will "bust" any pilot they catch with an out-of-date parachute in the cabin/cockpit. And that parachute has to be manufactured under a TSO.

I still not get an answer. A parachute to me is just what it is a damn canopy. A Raven III is an approved reserve.

The question remains: My Perigee Pro is not approved but it's not a parachute it's a harness/container. So if I have my approved reserve inside, packed and sealed within 120 days AM I LEGIT?
Memento Audere Semper

No.

§ 105.3 Definitions.
For the purposes of this part—

Approved parachute means a parachute manufactured under a type certificate or a Technical Standard Order (C–23 series), or a personnel-carrying U.S. military parachute (other than a high altitude, high speed, or ejection type) identified by a Navy Air Facility, an Army Air Field, and Air Force-Navy drawing number, an Army Air Field order number, or any other military designation or specification number.

A rigger can not seal it since it is not an approved Parachute. A parachute and a Harness/container are one in the same in bailout terms for the FAA.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com