monkycndo

VW mechanics, what's your best guess

Have you changed the timing belt on schedule? Lets hope it's not that.

James

That was my thought...the 1.8t is notorious for having that thing go kaboom. Actually...usually a water pump bearing or a tensioner seizing up and then kaboom.

Had to replace the system on my 2.0t recently. Not cheap.

At least VW makes accessing the pump easier. No need to drop the tank, there is an access hole from inside the trunk area.

Well, that takes all the fun out of it. I had to drop the tank on my '93 Wranger when the pump started making noises like an electric drill running in the rear. What a PITA. But at least the pump was nice enough to warn me before it failed.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Does the Tach move when you crank it?

This is a good test on a mercruiser mpi motor. If the tach doesn't move when you crank the starter you probably have a crank position sensor circuit problem. I imagine it's the same on most modern efi motors.

A matchbook lid makes a decent roadside adjustment tool to get the gap right.

huh? wait a sec.... sounds like your suggesting that their is a better tool and this highly technically engineer'd matchbook cover isnt the "correct" tool :P

*(its all I ever used on anything with points":D

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Well, after doing some shade tree diagnosing with the help of my mechanic, looks like it is the fuel pump. The coil packs were throwing spark so the crank position sensor didn't look like the culprit. The fuel pump had power, but didn't make noise when the key was put in accessory position prior to cranking the starter. Took the fuel pump out and put 12 volts to it. Nothing. So the replacement pump is on order and should be here hopefully Tuesday. Ordering it online compared to buying it locally saved me $200 from the auto parts store and $280 over the dealer.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Kinda hard to drive it when the fuel pressure was zero :)

Yea, but you can use it for other things.. read it while driving the car.. real time information....

In this case, not running it would show you all the parameters, fuel pressure, injector timing / fuel rate etc. there a lot of things you can do... with it, not just engine either...

After going through this, now definitely looking into getting a set up.

I ordered my fuel pump late Friday afternoon from a supply house in New York. They said if they rushed filling the order, they might be able to just make it into that days priority mail. It arrived today. That is even faster than Fedex or UPS because I ordered after the deadline for next day shipping. And shipping was free.

Fabulous service from True Blue Auto Parts.

With a few new hose clamps and connecters, should have Willie back on the road tomorrow.:)

Jump an Infinity

And the survey says??!!!/Richard Dawson voice

Yup, it was the fuel pump. Was a bit of a pain removing the sending unit from the old pump, but other than that, it went back in pretty easy. Took a few cranks to get the fuel up to the engine, but Willie started right up.:)
Darn, kinda hoped it was them pesky air gremlins.

Jump an Infinity

Yup, it was the fuel pump. Was a bit of a pain removing the sending unit from the old pump, but other than that, it went back in pretty easy. Took a few cranks to get the fuel up to the engine, but Willie started right up.:)

you got off light and easy.
I just got my VW back yesterday $3.8K later, doing the fuel pump on the Van also means the Fuel pump timing belt, which mean almost stripping the motor out and to do that the bumper bar has to come off etc..etc.. and I need 4 new tyres as well
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

you got off light and easy.
I just got my VW back yesterday $3.8K later, doing the fuel pump on the Van also means the Fuekl pump timing belt, which mean almost stripping the motor out and to do that the bumper bar has to come off etc..etc.. and I need 4 new tyres as well

Since you're going on a long trip, before to change out the air on those tires after the break in period and please remember to check your wiperblade bearings. You don't want those going out on ya...

:ph34r:
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."