br0k3n

Increased slider size

I currently jump a sabre 150 loaded at 1.1ish, and its spanks me almost every time. I estimate 80% of the time I have a fully inflated canopy in less than 300ft, and I had one at the weekend that was about 200ft.

I have noticed that rolling the slider in with the tail does help slow it down, but it is at the point now where I am either going to get rid of it or try a larger slider, approx 4inchs larger.

Does anyone here have any experience with a larger slider on a Sabre, and if so did it help? I spoke with my rigger when I asked about a pocket and he suggested that I just increase the slider size, instead of installing a pocket.

I’m not after packing tips or suggestions, as I have had them all. Some helped some didn’t., well ok if you have any suggestions then I’m all ears.

Currently 28inch ZP pilot chute & 20inch Slider

Over to you,

-Oli
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

From previous posts on this exact subject, I remember reading that the manufacturer recommends either a pocket slider or simply replacing the slider with one from a Sabre the next size larger. In your case, you should be looking for a slider for a Sabre 170.

You may want to double-check with PD before you do this.

[email protected]
Arrive Safely

John

You may want to double-check with PD before you do this

Last I heard, PD would send you the appropiate adjusted slider size if you asked while holding your credit card, although if I remember correctly it wasn't as simple as the next sized up slider, it had different demensions.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

OK,first of all,you should consider to check lines trim to see if lines are in specs.You can check them even by yourself if you cannot get in touch with your rigger.From PD web site,download the trim specs and how to mesure from specs page and see if your are fitting into the factory specs.Even after a 100 jumps,they can be out of trim ,depending how the canopy was packed.Make sure your do this first and have the canopy checked inside/out and then,if you cannot find anything wrong within specs,email PD about the problem that you have and they will work for you to make it open a lot better.
Basically,you have to start with the basic from the factory specs.Personnally,I had a sabre 150 in perfect condition and the opening were still kind of hard.I had to fit a bigger slider from PD ,and opening were a lot better.NOT for a video jumps...but a lot better than before.
Try not to be a test-jumper to fix the problem,let them do that for you.They will answer all your questions and will try to make it work for you.Feel free to contact them ,they are just great about their product.

You may want to double-check with PD before you do this

Last I heard, PD would send you the appropiate adjusted slider size if you asked while holding your credit card, although if I remember correctly it wasn't as simple as the next sized up slider, it had different demensions.

As Aggiedave says above-I contacted PD, and they sent me a new slightly larger slider (in one dimension only)-night and day diff!

I currently jump a sabre 150 loaded at 1.1ish, and its spanks me almost every time. I estimate 80% of the time I have a fully inflated canopy in less than 300ft, and I had one at the weekend that was about 200ft.

I have noticed that rolling the slider in with the tail does help slow it down, but it is at the point now where I am either going to get rid of it or try a larger slider, approx 4inchs larger.

Does anyone here have any experience with a larger slider on a Sabre, and if so did it help? I spoke with my rigger when I asked about a pocket and he suggested that I just increase the slider size, instead of installing a pocket.

I’m not after packing tips or suggestions, as I have had them all. Some helped some didn’t., well ok if you have any suggestions then I’m all ears.

Currently 28inch ZP pilot chute & 20inch Slider

Over to you,

-Oli

What year Sabre is it? If it is around the early 90's it probably has a smaller size slider on it. They changed to a larger size after a couple of years of production of the original Sabre.

On the PC, what container is it in? If it is a Javelin J1 then you will want a 33" F-11.
If not I would at least get rid of the ZP PC.
PD nor Sun Path recommend ZP for PC's anymore.

Call PD they will hook you up.
Good Luck

I have a 120 that opens pretty fast. I changed the slider to one that has the same span but is about 2" wider chordwise. The canopy opens with much less shock, still fairly quick but without the snap it used to have. I use it exclusively for wingsuit jumps (I tested it bellyflying) so my opinion is skewed but my big breakthrough was a packing variation that occurred to me after a base packing discussion. I now have smooth, sweet, consistent on-heading openings pitching in full flight or with a 1 second delay.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

I have noticed that rolling the slider in with the tail does help slow it down,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is the first time I have ever heard of rolling the slider in with the tail.

Sure, check the line trim, make sure your rubber bands are tight, make sure your slider is ALL the way up against the slider stops, etc. but if your Sabre is hammering you this often, I suggest that it is a packing problem.

Yes, PD did start installing larger sliders a few years back. I have the slider dimensions at work, but you could also phone Rags at the PD factory.

I have also sewn pockets on dozens of Sabre sliders to tame the openings. At one point I had so many pockets (4) sewn on my Sabre 170 that I had to quit doing hop-and-pops.
Hee!
Hee!