ntrprnr

I'm gonna guess this is called "Irony."

Now that I have a daughter, I'm looking at life insurance. Because, you know, apparently I have to be an adult.

Anyhow, all the background was given to the insurance guy last month, including that I jump. Convo today went like this.

Insurance Guy: "Peter, we've run the numbers. You definitely fall into a higher-risk category, and as such, that's going to run your premiums up a bit."

Me: "Yeah, I figured that was going to happen."

IG: "Well, there's something you could do about it, you know. It's not an end-all be-all situation."

Me: "You know, I appreciate you trying to give me life advice, Insurance Guy, but skydiving happens to be a part of my life that I cherish. I believe it makes me a better person, and as such, a more productive member of society, and a better husband and father. For you to tell me that I should quit doing what I love simply to lower my damn premiums shows a severe lack of your knowledge of who I am."

"Right, Peter. So, if I may finish, you have what, 300 jumps in seven years? The insurance company doesn't give a fuck about that. You're more at risk living in Manhattan. I was talking about you losing 30 pounds so your blood pressure goes from "borderline elevated" to "normal." It also might help to not be so damn sanctimonious."

Me: (very quietly...) "So... I suppose I should just let you finish then, right? And perhaps buy you a drink..."

IG: (Laughing) "That's a start."

Heh. Lesson learned. :)

So the old adage (which is false) of "The drive to the DZ is more dangerous than the jump" will be replaced with "It's more dangerous to live in New York City than to jump."

Wait 'til my mom hears this.

:)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You know, if you want to get a measure of the risk of skydiving relative to other things, life insurance companies are the place to ask. They make money by figuring out *everything* about you that is known to affect your risk of dying, and then charging you a premium that will ensure they have the house advantage in the bet on your life.

(Indeed, the strongest evidence that praying to one particular religion's god is useless in promoting good health and a long life is that fact that no insurance company will offer a discount based on any particular (or even a general) religious affiliation.)

So if they say skydiving (at your level of activity) is much less of a risk than 30 lbs of excess weight, then that is almost certainly a fact.

wolfriverjoe

So the old adage (which is false) of "The drive to the DZ is more dangerous than the jump" will be replaced with "It's more dangerous to live in New York City than to jump."

So I've heard too
"New York now leads the world's great cities in the number of people around whom you shouldn't make a sudden move". - David Letterman

"Anytime four New Yorkers get into a cab together without arguing, a bank robbery has just taken place". - Johnny Carson
What goes around, comes later.

What movie was it that had some insurance guy tasked with presenting an insurance policy to some flamboyant dude with a penchant for high risk activities? In one scene, he was seen base jumping off a building and landing in a tree along the street or something. :D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban