turtlespeed

Anyone looking forward to "Enders Game" the movie?

quade

So, you think there wasn't any CGI in "42"?

Shows you how good it can be when it's trying to be real.

I don't mind CGI when it supports a good story. I'm just tired of the world ending in the CGI collapse of New York, with cliff hanger escapes for the main characters.

In much the way post-war Tokyo was ravaged again and again by various cheesy movie monsters in a catharsis of the WWII destruction of their cities, I feel American movie makers insist on recreating the destruction of Sept. 11th. I am just tired of all the falling skyscrapers. . . . [:/]

JohnMitchell

I'm just tired of the world ending in the CGI collapse of New York, with cliff hanger escapes for the main characters.

Blame Comic-Con. Seriously.

The problem with super heroes is they have to fight something that's super villainous. Imagine how stupid it would be if the end of Superman had him fighting a mugger in Kansas City. So, you have super heroes, they pretty much have to be saving the entire world from destruction. New York gets picked on because it's de facto Metropolis and it's internationally recognizable.

Right now we have WAY too many super heroes on screen in one season.

This is an industry problem. It's like when Detroit kept making gas guzzlers 5 hp bigger than last year's or the next guy's model. Eventually that's all anybody is making and it's just stupid, but this IS 'Merica and "bigger is better"; right?

Wrong.

Gotta diversify.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

And then there's this :S

In the essay, which was published on Card's Civilisation Watch blog and titled "Unlikely Events", the novelist posits a future where Obama rules as a "Hitler- or Stalin-style dictator" complete with his own "national police force" of "young out-of-work urban men". He also suggests that Obama and his wife, Michelle, might amend the US constitution to allow presidents to remain in power forever before the next presidential election and would then "win by 98 percent every time". Adds the author: "That's how it works in Nigeria and Zimbabwe; that's how it worked in Hitler's Germany."

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

riddler

And then there's this :S

In the essay, which was published on Card's Civilisation Watch blog and titled "Unlikely Events", the novelist posits a future where Obama rules as a "Hitler- or Stalin-style dictator" complete with his own "national police force" of "young out-of-work urban men". He also suggests that Obama and his wife, Michelle, might amend the US constitution to allow presidents to remain in power forever before the next presidential election and would then "win by 98 percent every time". Adds the author: "That's how it works in Nigeria and Zimbabwe; that's how it worked in Hitler's Germany."

Had no idea Card was bat-shit crazy.

Interesting.
quade -

For those who didn't read the article:

"Card labels the post "an experiment in fictional thinking," adding: "Will these things happen? Of course not.""

Fiction people...fiction. He is a science-fiction writer that specializes in writing fiction about the future...I dont understand what all the fuss is about?
Fiend

I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. - Thomas Hobbes.

FreeFallFiend

For those who didn't read the article:

"Card labels the post "an experiment in fictional thinking," adding: "Will these things happen? Of course not.""

Fiction people...fiction. He is a science-fiction writer that specializes in writing fiction about the future...I dont understand what all the fuss is about?

Uh.. no.. listen to some of the "commetary" that he adds on to some of his audiobooks in the way of "commentary". Have you got your ticket on the spaceship yet???

Please be sure to shop at your local restaurant supply for the bulk sized heavy duty aluminum foil berfore doing so

For those that didn't really, really read the post, the underlying message is that Obama has already done many of these things, and he's a half-step away from the others. Which is Card's way of saying he's crazy without the political implications of being crazy.

Here's another few things he has to say, in other posts, in which he intended to be serious:

"I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage, and help me raise my children in a society where they will expect to marry in their turn.”

This dude is a candidate for Speaker's Corner (Speaker For The Dead's Corner?).

Last time I checked half the country hates Obama.

Yeah, but it's a standard clause in America that the only bat-shit crazy public figures are musicians and artists. Maybe reality TV Stars :P Every other public figure is kinda expected not to vow to bring down the government :S Especially over such an issue as gay marriage.

That having been said, I really enjoyed the Ender's series, and I like Harrison Ford, so I will definitely be seeing the movie.

riddler

This dude is a candidate for Speaker's Corner (Speaker For The Dead's Corner?).

Ha Ha! I see what you did, there.;)

It's fiction, and as such, should remain here, if you want to support the politicizing of it, start a new thread in another forum.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

NorrinRadd

Not giving a single cent of my hard earned money to Orson Scott Card.

So . . . after doing a bit of research into Orson Scott Card, his bat-shit crazy views, some people wanting to boycott the film over controversy and listening to a discussion between a couple of industry folks on the subject of bat-shit crazy authors of source material I have come to a couple of conclusions.

1) Boycotting this film would, in fact, ONLY hurt the wrong people. As deplorable a person as anyone may think Card is, the fact is he already made his money off this film when he sold the rights. He didn't make that money off of you, the viewing public, he made it off the Studio and Production Company for the film. Whether you see the film or don't see the film has exactly zero effect on his bank account.

2) The only contribution to this film Card made was the source material he wrote years ago. He didn't write the screenplay. He didn't direct the film. He's not acting in it. If anyone was willing to read the books and liked them before knowing about Card's bat-shit craziness, then the source material stands on its own entirely without the bat-shit crazy layer. Taken another way, my guess is there are dozens of authors and artists whose work we all admire and they're just as bat-shit crazy but had the good sense to keep their political views from becoming public or at least not make them -quite- as public.

Does knowing that Aaron Sorkin wrote "A Few Good Men" while drunk and addicted to cocaine really do anything to change the work itself? Or Doyle and "Sherlock Holmes"? Let's say we found out Doyle, after writing "Sherlock Holmes," became a homicidal murderer. Does that take anything away from the original work or the later films? Probably not. Robert Downey Jr. still did a good job playing the part and the film was fun.

Anyway, I can't see how boycotting this film does anything other than hurting the wrong people at this point.
quade -

How does my not seeing the movie hurt people? Do I have to see every movie out there so that people are not hurt?
I don't want to see it.. I don't like OSC, I don't like his views... I think the story is just meh to begin with. I refuse to support his product in any way. I don't make a lot of money, so I choose carefully where I spend it.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

NorrinRadd

How does my not seeing the movie hurt people?

If you are boycotting to send a message to Card, then your boycott is a waste of effort.

If you were intrigued by the original story or film trailer, but decided to "hurt" (metaphorically, not physically) Card by not seeing it, you're only "hurting" other completely innocent people who worked on the film and will have participation in its success.
quade -

Any boycott I undertake as a message will not affect OSC in any way. I understand this already. He has already made a ton of cash with his books and licensing... he wont lose any sleep over the lost revenue from one dude in Canada. I boycott it because I just don't want to support his products. Because I have an ethical issue with it.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

I boycott it because I just don't want to support his products.

Seems to me to be akin to refusing to buy a Toyota automobile because you hate the fact that Henry Ford was anti-Semitic (the Nazis even gave the dude a medal).

But it's your choice to boycott. I've got some pretty crazy things I'm boycotting as well, so I shouldn't judge :P