I have been checking into buying a military rig
and was wondering how difficult it would be to find
replacement parts such as chutes, d-bags and other
parts that might need replacement. The rig is a MC5
halo rig and I would appreceiate any feed back
on this subject. THANKS
STEP OUT AND FEEL THE RUSH!!!! LATER
SKYBOMB

ParaFlite will no longer sell to civilians. They will however sell to peole possessing a military address. So it might be possible to have a military friend purchase and recieve the goods. I don't know if it's kosher with the UCMJ though.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

There are generally enough spare parts floating around or stashed away in a closet out there and people who know how to get them. In fact, I saw several mains for sale in a local shop (condition unknown) for pretty cheap.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Be aware that all/most/some of these rigs, while they may be recent manufacture are 20 year old designs. The military is in the process of determining a replacement system. These older designs, while they have served well, may not be the best bet for a new heavier skydiver. (Just guessing based on user name.;))
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

If the rig he has is a MC5 it is fairly new and can easily be converted to BOC if a ripcord is not wanted. The MC5 can be re configured so that it is basically a MC4 by removing the static line deployment system. I fail to see what your referencing as oudated in design as everything on a MC4 or MC5 follows the same design principals as a modern sport rig with the exception of being over engineered for enduring combat loads and excessive weight. It may be big,heavy and ugly but it is still a very viable system. Of all the MFGS who are producing a military system, all of them pretty much resemble the currnt MC series with the exception of pack tray which have specific mfg looks to them( ie the mil Javelin looks like a big ass Javelin,etc) handles and hardware are in identical locations. If you go to PIA this year you will see some of the new(er) systems that are being built for military sales.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

If the rig he has is a MC5 it is fairly new and can easily be converted to BOC if a ripcord is not wanted. The MC5 can be re configured so that it is basically a MC4 by removing the static line deployment system.

The MC-5 has a 2 pin main so a BOC is probably out of the question but could possibly be engineered (billbooth, where are you?). It also has quick ejector snaps rather than the B-12's found on the MC-4.

If you go to PIA this year you will see some of the new(er) systems that are being built for military sales. ***

Absolutely true! I jumped the MS-300 at a 1:1 wingload (wearing an 80 lb. rucksack, I'm not that big or fat) in Aug 01 as part of a test and knew in my heart that I had just jumped the future of Military Freefall. At 300' and on final I put the toggles on my hips, my feet and knees together, and thought "let's see how much lift she has now?" The answer was "all of it!" I did a precautionary PLF (not needed) and KNEW this was a great MFF wing!

So, all of that aside...what are you really looking for?

I'm not only going to PIA, I'm the Speaker Coordinator.:P And have been on staff since 1997.

I admit little hands on with the systems. But, the MC-5, according to ParaFlite's web site is still using the Lissman 7808 airfoil, and I believe the vertical two pin reserve system originally similar to the Swift H/C system that was introduced with the swift reserve in the early 80's. As well as the over built rig not needed for sport skydiving.

I only mean to imply that a larger jumper might be better served with more modern airfoils/canopies and sport systems. Gear large enough for pretty much anybody small enough to get on an airplane is available in the sport market.

I see that Paraflite has ZP military systems with modified canopy designs that extend the stand off distance (glide distance).

So my Cirrus Cloud from 1982 is similar other than size to the MC-1. The MC-5 being a 7 cell version. My 1982 Swift reserve is of similar design.

Sure, they're big tanks with similar handles. But are the older design canopies and the unnecessary over build desireable? Maybe so. Maybe not.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

and I believe the vertical two pin reserve system originally similar to the Swift H/C system that was introduced with the swift reserve in the early 80's. As well as the over built rig not needed for sport skydiving.

Yes, the reserve uses 2 vertical pins. The MC-4 main used 1 pin but the MC-5 uses 2 horizontal pins which was also the configuation for the USAF's MT1X/S which used the 375 (Goliath) main and 275 (DC-5) reserve.

The MC-5 has a 2 pin main so a BOC is probably out of the question but could possibly be engineered (billbooth, where are you?).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sorry, but I do not understand your dilemma.

MS Enterprises built a few sport rigs with 2 curved pins holding the main container closed and that was back in the 1970s.
The MS Skinny Pig fell out of fashion when other manufacturers introduced one-pin main containers.
Any Master Rigger should be able to manufacture a (BOC-compatible) bridle - with two curved pins that will fit a military surplus container.
To keep him honest, ask him to jump it a couple of times before handing it to a junior jumper.
Hee!
Hee!