BMFin

Ears popping when swallowing

Im interested if this is common for skydivers:

For many years now I have had my ears popping almost every time I swallow. The "popping" isnt the kind of pop that would suddenly allow you to hear better or worse. (obviously we all get those when pressure is changing) This popping is rather mild, but sometimes annoying.

I cant help thinking this could have something to do with skydiving, since our sport definetly gives a lot of stress to our ears in terms of air pressure changing very fast.

I know for a fact that after the first hundred jumps my ears were much more accustomed to pressure changes involved in skydiving. (also made scubadiving much easier to deal with in terms of pressure). Therefore I have come to think that maby skydiving has somehow changed the physiology of my ear canals in a way that they keep popping almost every time I swallow.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

BMFin

Therefore I have come to think that maby skydiving has somehow changed the physiology of my ear canals in a way that they keep popping almost every time I swallow.

Much more likely that SCUBA has changed your ears. The pressure changes and likelihood of injury are FAR greater.

jon

I think its a syndrome called useta. You get so use to clearing your ears you just do it all the time. I lived in CO and found I did it in the car going up and down the passes.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

piisfish

***Im interested if this is common for skydivers:

For many years now I have had my ears popping almost every time I swallow.

Never happened to me. I spit :$

Not last time.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

If you SCUBA, that is probably more of a factor. I've been working on buoyancy lately and I've noticed a difference.

Try a decongestant and see if it changes anything.

I suspect the drastic pressure changes are not something evolution prepared us for and the eustachian tube adjusts as best it can.

I always seem to be more open and sinuses more clear after deep dives.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.