kallend

3rd Class Medical on way out for private pilots?

From AOPA:

Senate legislation would expand medical exemption
New Senate legislation would exempt pilots who make noncommercial VFR flights in aircraft weighing up to 6,000 pounds with no more than six seats from the third-class medical certification process. With legislation to expand the FAA's third class medical exemption gathering momentum in the House, Sens. John Boozman, R-Ark., Pat Roberts, R-Kan., and Jerry Moran, R-Kan., today introduced an identical measure in the Senate. All three are members of the Senate General Aviation Caucus

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

While I doubt it's going to rain aluminum as a result, I think this is a bad move.

I just don't see how you have eye-sight standards without a medical and from my point of view that's a pretty major thing.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

normiss

Damn.

I could have avoided all that expensive eye surgery.

:D:D:D

No. I couldn't either.

Your passengers might have gotten suspicious when you strapped the German Shepherd on to the front of them.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

lawrocket

It looks like they are moving it closer to the sport pilot requirements, where a corrective lens restriction on a driver's license would be evidence of problem eyesight.

Yeah, but look at the vision standards for driving compared to flying.

Not that flying requires super-human vision, but corrected to 20/20 and color is helpful.
quade -

quade

***It looks like they are moving it closer to the sport pilot requirements, where a corrective lens restriction on a driver's license would be evidence of problem eyesight.

Not that flying requires super-human vision, but corrected to 20/20 and color is helpful.

Of course, I am amused at the focus on having correctable eyesight but the utter lack of concern about being able to hear. My experience (though limited) behind the yoke showed the important of hearing and being able to speak.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

******It looks like they are moving it closer to the sport pilot requirements, where a corrective lens restriction on a driver's license would be evidence of problem eyesight.

Of course, I am amused at the focus on having correctable eyesight but the utter lack of concern about being able to hear. My experience (though limited) behind the yoke showed the important of hearing and being able to speak.

Speak and understand English is in the FARs for Private Pilot on up.

It is waiverable and even makes sense to be able to do so for certain individuals in certain areas. There will be a restriction the type of airspace the person can fly in though; pretty much nothing controlled.

Doesn't mean the person has to be fluent either, simply fluent in "aviation English."
quade -

lawrocket

It looks like they are moving it closer to the sport pilot requirements, where a corrective lens restriction on a driver's license would be evidence of problem eyesight.

My restriction code on my driver's license is 0. That was when I got my license at 17. I'm now almost 46 years old and blind as a bat at night, sometimes during the day if I'm really tired, if I'm not wearing my glasses. My restriction code still states 0. It's not prudent to go by the license restrictions in my opinion.
Always be kinder than you feel.

quade

While I doubt it's going to rain aluminum as a result, I think this is a bad move.

I just don't see how you have eye-sight standards without a medical and from my point of view that's a pretty major thing.

I don't see why you need an AME with an MD to administer an eye test for 20/20 correctable. The color vision test each time is silly too. No-one goes color blind - either you are or you aren't.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

LuckyMcSwervy

My restriction code on my driver's license is 0. That was when I got my license at 17. I'm now almost 46 years old and blind as a bat at night, sometimes during the day if I'm really tired, if I'm not wearing my glasses. My restriction code still states 0. It's not prudent to go by the license restrictions in my opinion.

Believe it or not, I think this is proving the reason right here.

You say you can't drive at night, if you were legally allowed to, would you hop in your plane for a night flight? No, probably not. Most pilots are responsible enough people to know their limitations and not try to fly thru them, especially if they know they can't drive at night (though less pedestrians, animals and lines to stay between without swerving in the sky:D).
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski

You say you can't drive at night, if you were legally allowed to, would you hop in your plane for a night flight? No, probably not. Most pilots are responsible enough people to know their limitations and not try to fly thru them, especially if they know they can't drive at night (though less pedestrians, animals and lines to stay between without swerving in the sky:D).

Wasn't that dude at your place flying without a valid medical? Ignition interlocks for everyone!!
Always be kinder than you feel.

LuckyMcSwervy

Wasn't that dude at your place flying without a valid medical? Ignition interlocks for everyone!!

Can't stop them all. Just like the drunk driver that killed a car full of innocent people by hauling ass going the wrong way on the freeway not long ago.

But it will give people who are doing the right thing more leeway to continue flying VFR for fun/personal trips.

I was a little surprised that it's still going to be required for IFR flight, but that makes plenty of sense to me and I can't say that I disagree with it at all.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message