shropshire

See the problem?

shropshire

Teach YOUR kids respect by actually showing some!!

Trust me. My girls are going to do it the right way as long as I'm their dad. OR ELSE. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

LuckyMcSwervy

Does anyone else remember being nervous before your parents came home from parent/teacher conferences? :D

Or had the head nun waiting for you with a ruler? :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

***Does anyone else remember being nervous before your parents came home from parent/teacher conferences? :D

Dont remind me about nuns.. I still have scars on my knuckles when they used the EDGE metal from those "wonderful human beings". [/sarcasm]

Amazon

******Does anyone else remember being nervous before your parents came home from parent/teacher conferences? :D

Dont remind me about nuns.. I still have scars on my knuckles when they used the EDGE metal from those "wonderful human beings". [/sarcasm]

Winner! :D I'm sorry, I couldn't help it.

LOL- the first picture would be my mom with us AT HOME in private! The second would be my mom with the teacher at the school- also most likely in private without us around! She had no problem going toe to toe with our teachers if she really believed they were in the wrong but she still held us all to a high standard in terms of grades and behaviour in the classroom.

Bottom line- no one messed with her kids but her or my dad even if we were in the wrong. Discpiline was always a private family matter and she would NEVER shame us in front of a teacher or our classmates. That's just one of the ways she taught us respect.

Does anyone else remember being nervous before your parents came home from parent/teacher conferences?

I was nervous before they even left the house.

Parent / Teacher Conference = imminent grounding. :(

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

PLFKING

Does anyone else remember being nervous before your parents came home from parent/teacher conferences?

Don

:D:D:D I didn't do anything wrong but I was always nervous to hear what they said to my parents!
Always be kinder than you feel.

LuckyMcSwervy

Don

:D:D:D I didn't do anything wrong but I was always nervous to hear what they said to my parents!

My teachers would call and leave messages on the answering machine for my dad while I was in school. There was also an automated system that would call if we were reported absent.

Well, guess they didn't figure out that I got home before him, so I could delete the messages before he got home from work. :)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I didn't do anything wrong but I was always nervous to hear what they said to my parents!

I was a "Special Needs" kid, so my mom always made it a point to know my teachers well.

"Special Needs" in the fact that I hated going to school, and would take any opportunity to leave the premises....so much so that they finally resorted to tying me to my desk, with my mother's permission.

Try doing that to a child nowadays. :)

Don
It's a free-for-all."

PLFKING

I didn't do anything wrong but I was always nervous to hear what they said to my parents!

I was a "Special Needs" kid, so my mom always made it a point to know my teachers well.

"Special Needs" in the fact that I hated going to school, and would take any opportunity to leave the premises....so much so that they finally resorted to tying me to my desk, with my mother's permission.

Don

Ahhh!! The good old days!! :ph34r:
Always be kinder than you feel.

LuckyMcSwervy

Don

I never needed to. It would always be a variation of "…needs to apply himself, is capable of so much more"
cavete terrae.

LuckyMcSwervy

Don

Our school routinely abused the backsides of the recalcitrant with very large wooden paddles about 24" long 6" wide and about 3/4" thick... with holes drilled in it to make the air pass thru it for a more effective "THWACK"
Kinda like this one. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Syz24A-MkFU/TbnW4w8PaHI/AAAAAAAAB7U/lbBH9Z8-s9c/s1600/paddle.jpg

Our school routinely abused the backsides of the recalcitrant with very large wooden paddles about 24" long 6" wide and about 3/4" thick... with holes drilled in it to make the air pass thru it for a more effective "THWACK"
Kinda like this one.

How pedestrian. Ours had nails through it. ;)

During my junior year of HS ('76), our biology teacher would occasionally let us leave for lunch period 5 minutes early, if we took a lick from a paddle like yours. It was almost worth it to be first in the cafeteria line.:)

Don
It's a free-for-all."

LuckyMcSwervy

Does anyone else remember being nervous before your parents came home from parent/teacher conferences? :D

Not nervous at all...just rather naive.

Seems the grades recorded in the teacher's book were significantly different than the ones on the report card, by the time I got home & my parents saw it. :$

They actually compared them! :o

Who knew?:S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Amazon

Don

Kinda like this one. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Syz24A-MkFU/TbnW4w8PaHI/AAAAAAAAB7U/lbBH9Z8-s9c/s1600/paddle.jpg

The board of education as I recall it being called.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I remember one of our teachers that had a long thin cane
called Mr whippy, and he delighted in saying,
Mr whippy makes you scream not ice cream.
That bugger across the knuckles hurt like hell.

Gone fishing

I never quite understood why otherwise sensible people sometimes wax almost nostalgic at adults in positions of institutionalized power having used weapons to commit acts of violence against juveniles in schools back when they were kids.

:|

Oh, am I being the thread buzz kill? Sorry. Carry on.

I never quite understood why otherwise sensible people sometimes wax almost nostalgic at adults in positions of institutionalized power having used weapons to commit acts of violence against juveniles in schools back when they were kids.

I take it you don't believe in "Spare the rod and spoil the child".

No discipline at school or home has pushed this world into its current sorry state.

FWIW, I wasn't 'waxing nostalgic'.....that connotes a wishfulness to return to those days......I certainly don't. :)

Don
It's a free-for-all."

PLFKING

No discipline at school or home has pushed this world into its current sorry state.

FWIW, I wasn't 'waxing nostalgic'.....that connotes a wishfulness to return to those days......I certainly don't. :)

Don

Spot on.

Never did us any harm.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

PLFKING

Let me convey a simple lesson:

(don't believe in "Spare the rod and spoil the child") does not equal (No discipline at school or home)

I'd add more, but I'm trying to avoid being too snarky.