WatchYourStep

Tempurpedic Anyone?

Elisha

I've had the 3" tempurpedic "topper" for several years now and love it (on top of a regular mattress). It was only like $100 compared to $500 for the full mattress.

damn $500 I paid a couple grand for our king size
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

That's because you bought memory foam instead of foam. :P

Our last camper had a 4" thick foam bed. Ouch. Sold it for $400!
The iComfort we got on clearance for $900 for the queen size with the adjustable frame.

You can't get the memory/tempurpedic foam beds for those prices!
Eggshell foam maybe.

I didn't mean to insult your purchase.
I was trying to make a snarky comment in re: the marketing hype of the various types of foam products and their pricing structure.
My apologies.
I'm not doing too well with posting today.

I think I'll go have a beer.

I have three;
two older style, they're hot, but you can buy a woven mattress pad that helps a lot with it. One of them is in a trailer/RV, and when it's cold at night, the bed starts out stiff and within an hour, it's soft and "normal." They do sleep warm.
My third is the gel top, and heat is not a problem. It's got a different feel from the others. I'm about to buy another for a new apartment, and will not be spending the extra for the gel.
One of mine is 5 years old and still great. One is three years old, the gel is a little over a year old.
If you can get your hands on a factory second, they're great.

normiss

I didn't mean to insult your purchase.
I was trying to make a snarky comment in re: the marketing hype of the various types of foam products and their pricing structure.
My apologies.
I'm not doing too well with posting today.

I think I'll go have a beer.

Beer is yummy. I didn't take it as an insult. Just wondering where you got your figure$.

No way on those foam mattresses. You will be subject to years of "outgassing"= sublimation of the plastic foam gasses. You will be breathing minute doses of synthetic foam gasses emanating from the foam itself. Not healthy at all. Kinda of like the car manuals advising you to roll down the windows on their new cars on a hot day, to air out the car before turning on the a/c, because of the vapors outgassing from the interior plastic and rubber parts. Especially in the Summer.

Strip the mattress down to the bare foam and get close and smell it. If you detect any odor, (you will) it is from the sublimation of the foam chemicals slowly breaking down and ejecting those vapors into the air. Not at all healthy, considering you will be breathing these fumes for years and years.

dpreguy

No way on those foam mattresses. You will be subject to years of "outgassing"= sublimation of the plastic foam gasses. You will be breathing minute doses of synthetic foam gasses emanating from the foam itself. Not healthy at all. Kinda of like the car manuals advising you to roll down the windows on their new cars on a hot day, to air out the car before turning on the a/c, because of the vapors outgassing from the interior plastic and rubber parts. Especially in the Summer.

Strip the mattress down to the bare foam and get close and smell it. If you detect any odor, (you will) it is from the sublimation of the foam chemicals slowly breaking down and ejecting those vapors into the air. Not at all healthy, considering you will be breathing these fumes for years and years.

So, I'm guessing you sleep on a straw-stuffed organic cotton mattress?

All the things that you have bought in the last 50 years will exude some sort of volatiles. Do you have carpet? Hardwood floor? Vinyl tile? CAR? Parachute? Couch/sofa? When was the last time you painted your house? I've not seen any studies that say this mattress puts out any worse than the competitor.

Not to say that the fumes that any of these things may give off are harmless, but when your hips/ back/ knees hurt, and this mattress alleviates it ( and all the others aren't any better), I doubt that you will complain.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

***No way on those foam mattresses. You will be subject to years of "outgassing"= sublimation of the plastic foam gasses. You will be breathing minute doses of synthetic foam gasses emanating from the foam itself. Not healthy at all. Kinda of like the car manuals advising you to roll down the windows on their new cars on a hot day, to air out the car before turning on the a/c, because of the vapors outgassing from the interior plastic and rubber parts. Especially in the Summer.

So, I'm guessing you sleep on a straw-stuffed organic cotton mattress?

:D

I don't buy the conspiracy theories that these mattresses are unhealthy for you.
It's a theory. Nothing proven, and nothing proven in an industry that is closely watched by not only watchdog groups but various governments as well.
ALL gases have the potential to kill you, including compressed O2, for these sites to have claimed for years that foam will kill...they're lumping all foam into one category. True, all foams gas off, the question is whether it's enough to be harmful.
The seat in your car likely is more toxic.
FTC hasn't brought one case, even after at least 3 investigations in the past 2 decades.

I am surprised no-one has mentinoed yet - but we're all grown ups here and know that beds have two legitimate uses, so they had better be suitable for both...

that being said, the tempur-pedic mattresses don't have the same "energy return" if you will. Spring mattresses have that bounce, whereas foam mattresses absorb the energy. Think of the commercials with the glass of wine and bowling ball.

I'm not saying one is better than the other - but with a Tempur-pedic, be prepared to have to "relearn" a few things... And that might not be necessarily bad. B|

Worst money I ever spent. I got one and I slept like the dead for the first 3-4 years we owned it. Then it started to lose firmness. and it loses it in areas where your weight is concentrated. I started to wake up in the middle of the night with my back spasming.

When I decided to get rid of it, it was like trying to move a dead whale. Heavy, squishy, floppy and hard to grip. I'd avoid it unless you are willing to unload it in a few years.

that being said, the tempur-pedic mattresses don't have the same "energy return" if you will. Spring mattresses have that bounce, whereas foam mattresses absorb the energy. Think of the commercials with the glass of wine and bowling ball.

If you're depending on a mattress to help you reach orgasm, you're doing it all wrong. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

skymama

If you're depending on a mattress to help you reach orgasm, you're doing it all wrong. ;)

Another sig line just waiting to happen! :D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

Another sig line just waiting to happen! :D

:):):)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban