LuckyMcSwervy

Motorcycle People Please Help Me Out :)

GD64

If you're not a current rider........please, please, please take a motorcycle safety course. All states have them, and they are usually inexpensive ($100 give or take). The courses are usually held in community college parking lots or some such venue (not on streets). Many of them furnish the bikes......like the equivalent of Honda 50's or such. Usually courses are held on weekends by instructors that have ridden for many years. A combination of classroom and actual riding is the course. A possible added benefit is that some insurance companies lower your rate after completing a safety course.
Be safe and keep the rubber side down.

+10 if not for anything but the insurance and they usually have all different styles of stuff to take the class on scooters, cruisers and dual sports at least where i took mine

saddle bag=2 groceries hooks, and ive seen plenty of pink rebels haha

also you dont HAVE to keep the rubber side down, just as long as you keep the shiny side up ;) yes I tend to replace back tires twice as much as fronts, If I ever got pulled over I plan to tell the cops the economy forces me to wheelie everywhere due to the economy XD

vintxrgr

***If you're not a current rider........please, please, please take a motorcycle safety course. All states have them, and they are usually inexpensive ($100 give or take). The courses are usually held in community college parking lots or some such venue (not on streets). Many of them furnish the bikes......like the equivalent of Honda 50's or such. Usually courses are held on weekends by instructors that have ridden for many years. A combination of classroom and actual riding is the course. A possible added benefit is that some insurance companies lower your rate after completing a safety course.
Be safe and keep the rubber side down.

+10 if not for anything but the insurance and they usually have all different styles of stuff to take the class on scooters, cruisers and dual sports at least where i took mine

saddle bag=2 groceries hooks, and ive seen plenty of pink rebels haha

also you dont HAVE to keep the rubber side down, just as long as you keep the shiny side up ;) yes I tend to replace back tires twice as much as fronts, If I ever got pulled over I plan to tell the cops the economy forces me to wheelie everywhere due to the economy XD

Good to know. I'm all about getting insurance discounts along with some safety knowledge. I didn't wear a helmet during the summer but I can tell you I'll be wearing one this time!

Talking about saddlebags... I wish I had a picture of me this summer lugging 50 pounds of scuba gear, actually more than that because I had my soft weights with me. I was only going 2 blocks to the dive shop but it was ridiculous looking. And dangerous. Stupid but I've seen worse down there. Like dogs platforms on the floorboard. I don't like that.
Always be kinder than you feel.

here in texas have 5 mongrel dogs in the back of your truck is as normal as having one of those tree shaped air fresheners, im always so worried for them and myself in case one sees a rabbie and decides to jump -.-

and yeah im not sure about where you'll be but here in texas and some other states you have to carry extra insurance to ride without a helmet and if you get pulled over and you dont have the right coverage its a pretty hefty ticket.

I always wear a full face because A: I feel like some kind of badass power ranger and B: you gotta protect the money maker! (I also wear a jacket to keep my washboard safe ROFL)

It'll be registered in Florida. I have no problem paying the extra insurance just to have the option to ride without a helmet if the mood should strike. I know I just said I won't be riding without one but I know there will be days where I'll say eff it. It's 8000 degrees and there won't be wearing of leather on my scooter. Of that I'm sure. Light summer clothing will be as heavy as my protection will be between me and the asphalt. Maybe jeans if I'm chilly.

LuckyMcSwervy

It'll be registered in Florida. I have no problem paying the extra insurance just to have the option to ride without a helmet if the mood should strike. I know I just said I won't be riding without one but I know there will be days where I'll say eff it. It's 8000 degrees and there won't be wearing of leather on my scooter. Of that I'm sure. Light summer clothing will be as heavy as my protection will be between me and the asphalt. Maybe jeans if I'm chilly.

Well i gotta through in my 2 cents ;) skins replacable, I checked the hard way but im still pretty dashing (well I think so atleast), ive been riding 10 years and wont touch a 2 wheel death machine without a helmet, got my 250cc endorcement when I was 15 and hit a deer 2 days before my 16th birthday, woke up half way through my bitter 16 to a room of people crying cause I woke up and the doc said I might not, 28 broken bones 2 fractured vertibre. Helmet saved my life, jacket saved alot of skin but jeans didnt help much lol. 750, 000 bucks worth of surgery and 2 months in a in patient rehab hospital later I was back on 2 wheels with 0 metal plates in me, I hate to be doom and gloom but im 21 covered in tattoos and reguarded as a "badass" to some and ill never be cought either without a helmet or drinking and ridinging.....wheelies, speed limits, splitting lanes etc are much safer than riding with no helmet

vintxrgr

***It'll be registered in Florida. I have no problem paying the extra insurance just to have the option to ride without a helmet if the mood should strike. I know I just said I won't be riding without one but I know there will be days where I'll say eff it. It's 8000 degrees and there won't be wearing of leather on my scooter. Of that I'm sure. Light summer clothing will be as heavy as my protection will be between me and the asphalt. Maybe jeans if I'm chilly.

Well i gotta through in my 2 cents ;) skins replacable, I checked the hard way but im still pretty dashing (well I think so atleast), ive been riding 10 years and wont touch a 2 wheel death machine without a helmet, got my 250cc endorcement when I was 15 and hit a deer 2 days before my 16th birthday, woke up half way through my bitter 16 to a room of people crying cause I woke up and the doc said I might not, 28 broken bones 2 fractured vertibre. Helmet saved my life, jacket saved alot of skin but jeans didnt help much lol. 750, 000 bucks worth of surgery and 2 months in a in patient rehab hospital later I was back on 2 wheels with 0 metal plates in me, I hate to be doom and gloom but im 21 covered in tattoos and reguarded as a "badass" to some and ill never be cought either without a helmet or drinking and ridinging.....wheelies, speed limits, splitting lanes etc are much safer than riding with no helmet

Glad you didn't die.

I can confidently state I won't be doing wheelies or splitting lanes. Or have a passenger. Or drink and scoot.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Lucky,

My daughter has one of these:

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/products/modelhome/150/0/home.aspx

I think hers is a 2011. It is very reliable.

She's 41 and rides about 10 minutes to work on the good days.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jerry -

Thanks for the link! I saw that one during my web browsing the other day and bookmarked it so I could take another look. The model name has absolutely nothing to do with my interest. Vino! Love it!! ;):)
B|

Asking motorcycle people about scooters is like asking an F1 racer about skateboards.
:P

Get the no name Chinese one that goes 15 mph slower than traffic.
>:(

I can't believe those things are even allowed on local streets with more than a 25mph speed limit.

250 + scooter. A friend of mine used to drive one, and really liked it.

But yeah, if you're going in island traffic that's all laid back and no one else goes above 35 either, you can also go the electric scooter route: http://www.scooterbrands.net

And yes, the MSF class is a must. You get to learn lots of stuff, and practice reacting to some of the more common unexpected events, on someone else's motorcycle.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

normiss

Asking motorcycle people about scooters is like asking an F1 racer about skateboards.

I can't believe those things are even allowed on local streets with more than a 25mph speed limit.

I like your analogy. :P

I had a Honda Metropolitan over the summer. Jap bike? Rice burner? :D

wmw999

250 + scooter. A friend of mine used to drive one, and really liked it.

But yeah, if you're going in island traffic that's all laid back and no one else goes above 35 either, you can also go the electric scooter route: http://www.scooterbrands.net

And yes, the MSF class is a must. You get to learn lots of stuff, and practice reacting to some of the more common unexpected events, on someone else's motorcycle.

Wendy P.

Thanks, Wendy. I never even thought of an electric scooter. Thanks for the link. They're cute. Plus, the site mentioned about storing then inside the house. Good idea!

B|

turtlespeed

*********One day it probably will be just for me. :|

I don't want to make it that far.

+ 1 :|

If I have to be an angry F*****r on a battery powered chair.

Please hire someone to off me.

You just had to be there when my wife's grandmother rode her scooter at the local walmart... turning a corner she knocked over a stand of fans (crash) and kept on going. We were 50 feet behind her and ducked off into the nearest aisle. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

LuckyMcSwervy

But in pink.

I'm not knocking your desire for a scooter. I think they're great.

I failed to place the home page of the scooters.. http://www.propelimports.com/

Just for measurements sake...
50 CC will get you about 40mph as top end, but you don't want to run top end all the time. That's what wears them out.
100 CC will get you about the same, but with a little more power on acceleration.
150CC will get you about 60-70 MPH but a cruise speed of about 45 MPH.

I have a buddy who owns a custom chopper shop, he sells the crap out of those Propel Scooters.
The only thing I don't like about scooters (in general) is their tin can mufflers.

ETA: I kinda like the Honda Helix that Wendy posted. Just not familiar with it. If it weren't for Harleys, my next choice would be a Honda.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

LuckyMcSwervy

***Asking motorcycle people about scooters is like asking an F1 racer about skateboards.

Better my sister in a whorehouse than my brother on a Honda! :P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

If it was me, and all I was going to use if for is busting around a little tropical town, I'd go for a vintage Vespa.
:)
http://previewcf.turbosquid.com/Preview/2011/02/08__22_32_15/Vintage_Vespa_01.jpg4053b309-1725-4968-b238-17b4780bf9caLarge.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpuq744dSX1qbus71o1_400.jpg

You might want something a little more dependable and modern, though.

BIGUN

*** But in pink.

I'm not knocking your desire for a scooter. I think they're great.

I failed to place the home page of the scooters.. http://www.propelimports.com/

Just for measurements sake...
50 CC will get you about 40mph as top end, but you don't want to run top end all the time. That's what wears them out.
100 CC will get you about the same, but with a little more power on acceleration.
150CC will get you about 60-70 MPH but a cruise speed of about 45 MPH.

I have a buddy who owns a custom chopper shop, he sells the crap out of those Propel Scooters.
The only thing I don't like about scooters (in general) is their tin can mufflers.

ETA: I kinda like the Honda Helix that Wendy posted. Just not familiar with it. If it weren't for Harleys, my next choice would be a Honda.

Thanks for that. I didn't understand the cc thing but now I understand it a little better. And thanks for the link. I like poking around and seeing what's out there.

I have a Honda for my car and have had a great time with it. It's a 2007 and runs like a champ. It's not going anywhere. I'll her her until she dies.

airtwardo

******Asking motorcycle people about scooters is like asking an F1 racer about skateboards.

You Harley guys are a riot!! Does Harley make a scooter? :)

muff528

If it was me, and all I was going to use if for is busting around a little tropical town, I'd go for a vintage Vespa.
http://previewcf.turbosquid.com/Preview/2011/02/08__22_32_15/Vintage_Vespa_01.jpg4053b309-1725-4968-b238-17b4780bf9caLarge.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpuq744dSX1qbus71o1_400.jpg

You might want something a little more dependable and modern, though.

They're cute!! Thanks!!

There's tons of used scooters on CraigsList but it looks like they were from rental fleets. We all know what some people do to rentals. Treat them like crap. I'd never do that to a rental but I'm afraid of taking a chance on getting a dud and not having any recourse with a warranty and stuff like that. I figure a few thousand dollars vs. a few hundred dollars will be worth it in the long run.

LuckyMcSwervy

*********Asking motorcycle people about scooters is like asking an F1 racer about skateboards.

You Harley guys are a riot!! Does Harley make a scooter? :)

THEY DO !

It's called a Sportster...:)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~