JoeyH

Do you know anything about Solar Power? Help!

If you know anything about solar power please help!!
Okay, I am currently designing a motorhome that will be built out of a school bus. It will be complete with a fridge, a stove/oven combo, and an espresso machine. I know I can get propane refrigerators and stove stuff but I definitely need a 220v hookup for the espresso machine. So how easy/cost effective would it be to use solar panels for all electrical needs instead of propane and generator. Ill need the 220v for the things listed above and a number of regular plugs for other appliances ect. How would this work and how cost effective (or less cost effective if that is the case) would it be?
Carpe Diem, even if it kills me

I would have them removeable for traveling purposes. I plan on using this as a dz camper. So live parked on a dz for months at a time. Maybe travel to boogies or if I am moving somewhere else and have a motorcycle that I use for local transportation. So that won't be a huge problem. For traveling Ill figure out a way to pack the solar panels up and store them inside the bus.

ETA: typos

JoeyH

If you know anything about solar power please help!!
Okay, I am currently designing a motorhome that will be built out of a school bus. It will be complete with a fridge, a stove/oven combo, and an espresso machine. I know I can get propane refrigerators and stove stuff but I definitely need a 220v hookup for the espresso machine. So how easy/cost effective would it be to use solar panels for all electrical needs instead of propane and generator. Ill need the 220v for the things listed above and a number of regular plugs for other appliances ect. How would this work and how cost effective (or less cost effective if that is the case) would it be?

This will be VERY pricey if you want it available all the time to drive your 220v espresso machine. The way to do this would be to have your panels feed a battery bank (panels usually produce DC current, which will eventually have to be changed into AC, more on this later). In my house, the panels feed a bank of batteries which are then used to provide current. The batteries feed into an inverter which can then supply power. If you need a 220v its not so much a question of VOLTAGE its a question of AMPS. How many Amps do you need to supply that espresso machine?

Under normal circumstances you could probably power a small fridge with a few panels, a stove is a HUGE power hog if it is electric, and an espresso machine really you need to figure out how many amps it will draw. If you want to run 120v and 240v (or 110v/220v, they are for the most part the same) you will just need 2 inverters, one for each (unless you have one you can switch)

It seems it would be easier to get a 120v espresso maker, no?

Solar power lacks efficiency, and a couple cloudy days will make it so you cant run a fridge or make coffee which is a problem. I'd at least use propane for the stove.

Do you have a solar store near you? They love projects like this and can get you better panels than "hobby panels" you get at DIY stores, they can also calculate your loads out and get you prices on batteries and inverters. With a battery system, you may find that the batteries are prohibitively expensive as they were in my home (we have street electric, backed up by solar, backed up by generator... and the batteries for the solar were the single most expensive part).

OK, sorry for the long reply.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

You can pretty much stop looking for an expert. There's really only one guy here to talk to and that's billvon. Shoot him a PM. If you're serious about solar for your dz home/RV/van. He is THE guy you want to talk to.

BTW, unless that's some incredible espresso machine that your livelihood depends on (like maybe you're setting up an espresso shop in your RV?), then you can probably get by without 220v. Your profile says you live in the US and I can guarantee fine coffee can be made with 110v. ;)

One other thing you might want to look into is the possibility of the dz you're planning on parking this at having RV parking with electrical hookups. Might be a hell of a lot cheaper to just plug in rather than building the solar install.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

DrDom

***If you know anything about solar power please help!!

This will be VERY pricey if you want it available all the time to drive your 220v espresso machine. The way to do this would be to have your panels feed a battery bank (panels usually produce DC current, which will eventually have to be changed into AC, more on this later). In my house, the panels feed a bank of batteries which are then used to provide current. The batteries feed into an inverter which can then supply power. If you need a 220v its not so much a question of VOLTAGE its a question of AMPS. How many Amps do you need to supply that espresso machine?

Under normal circumstances you could probably power a small fridge with a few panels, a stove is a HUGE power hog if it is electric, and an espresso machine really you need to figure out how many amps it will draw. If you want to run 120v and 240v (or 110v/220v, they are for the most part the same) you will just need 2 inverters, one for each (unless you have one you can switch)

It seems it would be easier to get a 120v espresso maker, no?

Solar power lacks efficiency, and a couple cloudy days will make it so you cant run a fridge or make coffee which is a problem. I'd at least use propane for the stove.

Do you have a solar store near you? They love projects like this and can get you better panels than "hobby panels" you get at DIY stores, they can also calculate your loads out and get you prices on batteries and inverters. With a battery system, you may find that the batteries are prohibitively expensive as they were in my home (we have street electric, backed up by solar, backed up by generator... and the batteries for the solar were the single most expensive part).

OK, sorry for the long reply.
No! I need as much info as I can. How much would I end up saving in the long run from not having to buy gas for generators and propane for a stove and fridge? Ill figure out how many watts the espressos chime would pull. No it wouldn't be easier to get a 120v because that means MAYJOR cut in quality. Anyway... I also just pmed billvon, thanks for that reference quade.

One other thing you might want to look into is the possibility of the dz you're planning on parking this at having RV parking with electrical hookups. Might be a hell of a lot cheaper to just plug in rather than building the solar install.

I will have it set up for both. But since I won't be at one place all the time I need backup for the dz or other places that don't have tv hookups. And depending on how much it is to hookup, the one time cost for solar may be cheaper than an electrical bill every month. That's one of the things I am trying to find out.x

JoeyH

Yes, y'all can go ahead and flame me for it, I am a major Coffee snob. Lol. And I am looking at a mobile coffee trailer for boogies and such so this info is good for that as well.

So, what espresso machine are you so in love with?
quade -

JoeyH

The marzocco gb5 2 group. And btw it's a 220v 30A 4600W

Well, fine if you're setting up a professional shop, but dude, if you require that just for your morning cup, you have a serious drinking problem. I'm not kidding. That is way overkill for personal use.
quade -

I know[:/] I want to have the amazing coffee that I make/drink while I'm at work, but I don't want to have to go to a coffee shop to get it. Like I said, mobile coffee shop trailer is in the brain as well. But of over kill it is, ah well.

Ill jut go with a 1 group bosco, they are amazing and only 2000. And the one group is a 120v. Anyway. Still wonder about the solar. Ill probably go propane for the stove but would like to cut reoccurring bills (gas for generators ect) as much as possible.

Earlier when I said 120 means quality cut... I forgot about the bosco. My bad. So yes I will go with a 120v espresso machine. That still raises the question of pricing for other electric needs. If I did go all electric for the stove/oven and fridge, 15 or so other outlets around the bus, lighting (led strips most likely) ac for summer, water pump....

Get two N200 (truck/marine size) deep cycle batteries (around $400 each for an average quality but can spend a lot more or a bit less but quality does matter) that have around 1000Ah each connected in parallel which will still give you 12v but double the Ah to around 4000Ah. This will give you a longer period of use before having to recharge them I case of a week of no sunshine. Wire to a suitable inverter (converts battery power to mains power) powerful enough to run your most Amp hungry unit (anything that heats will use the most) $450. Buy a quality 12v automatic battery charger $600 and a solar panel. You can get soft flexible ones that would suit the job that you just throw out on the roof/anex/grass when needed and are about $1000 for average quality or you can get solid ones that don't store as easily for about $350. You can wire these so that the moment you plug them in they will start charging if there is sunshine and the charger will go into float mode when they are fully charged.
You can get 12v/220v combo fridges so you can run off your batteries or mains power if you can plug in. I'd use a LPG stove because its cheap, doesn't consume power and is easier to cook with.
Make sure all your lighting is 12v LEDS as they offer great light at bugger all power consumption with no heat output and last for ages.
You can get a 12v LED TV with built in DVD player for about $250 that will run off your batteries.
All up for batteries, solar panels, inverter and a charger for a slightly better than average setup like this I reckon your looking at around $3500 if you can DIY. It's not hard to do if you know what your doing.
The only draw back is the room needed for all this. One N200 is bigger than 2 of your average car batteries but if you have the room, this is how I would do it. :)
Disclaimer- these are prices I pay in Oz and would assume you might be able to do this a bit cheaper in the US.

Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

JoeyH

The marzocco gb5 2 group. And btw it's a 220v 30A 4600W

Oh holy shit, I don't remember when I've laughed out loud this hard reading one of these threads. Good luck powering that thing with sunshine.

Btw I drink instant espresso, I doubt there is any tasteable difference to the stuff that beast does.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Arvoitus

***The marzocco gb5 2 group. And btw it's a 220v 30A 4600W

Oh holy shit, I don't remember when I've laughed out loud this hard reading one of these threads. Good luck powering that thing with sunshine.

Btw I drink instant espresso, I doubt there is any tasteable difference to the stuff that beast does.

I was only smiling. 220V 30A = 6600VA or Watts :)
What goes around, comes later.

Arvoitus

This sir had made me spit my cappuccino out while laughing. There is a huge difference and one that I would not be okay with. Plus, I already changed my mind on the machine. The one group bosco is a manual lever machine. It runs off of standard plugs and makes better coffee than the marzocco. An it's a sight cheaper.