wmw999

Credit where credit is due: Chase

OK, I'm not a huge fan of big interstellar recession-contributing banks. But my husband and I both have Southwest Airlines cards with them, and we've both had them scammed/cloned/whatever at gas stations in the last month.
Their fraud detection algorithm is awesome. Caught almost immediately, we were contacted, and it was dealt with. And in my case, where I was out of phone and email range for a couple of days, they continued to deal and to try to contact.
No one was refused that I bought something from, and their losses were pretty minimal as well. Happy ending as far as I'm concerned.
Except this credit card fraud is getting more frequent it seems. Might have to start paying cash for gas :|

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

We also recently had a(nother) Really Big Bank give us good customer service, when the waitress who took our card (in that case it was a debit card) to pay for food at a restaurant (you know: "I'll be right back with this") ran our card to pay for someone else's meal, too. (Maybe it was a hurried mistake, but, you know, maybe it wasn't.) Good thing I check our accounts online daily, where I noticed not just our $45 meal, but a separate charge for $90 for the same place, same date. Anyhow, the instant I saw it I went into the nearest branch office, and they not only took a "fraud report" but replaced the cash immediately. Bastards, how dare they do the right thing!

For the record, I still think they're fuckers and deserve to be led to the guillotines.

This has made us leery about letting the card out of our sight at restaurants, the way it's usually done. (And I hear you re: gas stations.) For the longest time, we've carried little cash and have used plastic to pay for practically everything, everywhere. Like you, I'm thinking about reverting back to the 1970's (when rock & roll achieved perfection) and just hauling cash around everywhere to pay for stuff.

Oh, ps - I haven't shopped in Home Depot in about 9 months. On 9/2/14 I used my card at HD to make a $4 purchase of a little thingy. When did the govt inform HD of the hack into their card-payment system?- 9/2/14. [:/]

wmw999

But my husband and I both have Southwest Airlines cards with them, and we've both had them scammed/cloned/whatever at gas stations in the last month.
Their fraud detection algorithm is awesome. Caught almost immediately, we were contacted, and it was dealt with.

:D A few years back, doing the Black Friday shopping at Best Buy at 6 am, I whipped out my SWA card to buy almost $2000 of electronic Christmas goodies. It got rejected. What!:S

I had the sales woman call the 800 number on the back. Busy signal. . .. [:/] Gotta remember this is the #1 shopping day of the year. So I pulled out a debit card and bought it all with cash in the bank. Embarrassed at having a card rejected, I even noted to the clerk that I obviously had the $$, since the debit was approved.

Later that day I got thru to the 800 number. They said "Well, it seemed unusual for your patterns to be spending that much money that early in the morning." Hello, Black Friday???:S

I bugged them for months and actually got paid the frequent flyer miles I would have gotten. It was a matter of principal at that point. Don't piss off a middle-aged guy with too much spare time. :P

Next year I called them on Thanksgiving and told 'em I was going shopping in the morning and to have their act together.;)

I use Bank of America only for making online purchases.
Their website enables me to create virtual credit cards.
Each virtual card has its own:
- CC number.
- Security code.
- Expiration date.
- Credit limit.

Once a vendor applies a charge to a virtual card, it is locked to that vendor and no one else can charge to it.
I can change the expiration date, change the credit limit, or delete a virtual card at any time.

The service is called "Orbiscom".
This page talks it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_payment_number
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Andy9o8

Good thing I check our accounts online daily, where I noticed not just our $45 meal, but a separate charge for $90 for the same place, same date.

This has made us leery about letting the card out of our sight at restaurants, the way it's usually done. (And I hear you re: gas stations.)

We've had a mixup where the restaurant charged us twice for one meal. This was after a big dispute over the bill after a long evening with friends. Confusion or revenge? Dunno, but the charge was refunded, believe me. ;)

Most gas stations in WA state are self serve, swiping the card at the pump, so it's not out of your hands. Wasn't there, though, a case of malicious readers being installed on pumps that hijacked card numbers? It's getting to be very creative, isn't it?

Wasn't there, though, a case of malicious readers being installed on pumps that hijacked card numbers?

Yeah, quite a few. I was presuming that's what happened to Wendy.
I always eyeball those things closely when I get gas.

http://www.gobankingrates.com/credit-cards/5-tried-true-strategies-protecting-credit-card-gas-pump/

JohnMitchell

This has made us leery about letting the card out of our sight at restaurants, the way it's usually done. (And I hear you re: gas stations.)

Most gas stations in WA state are self serve, swiping the card at the pump, so it's not out of your hands. Wasn't there, though, a case of malicious readers being installed on pumps that hijacked card numbers? It's getting to be very creative, isn't it?

One of the times I had card info stolen -- I was in Warsaw, and my card was "scanned" from nearby proximity (I didn't use that card the whole trip, but it was in my wallet. I'm told it was an issue there). Just after I got back to the States, I received an email that a physical card was used in New York State to purchase fuel. My number was hijacked, and a counterfeit card was manufactured, sold and used within about a week. >:(
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

My number was hijacked, and a counterfeit card was manufactured, sold and used within about a week.

Paid for a meal in Rome a few months back, the waiter said the charge was covered but that was to contact the credit card company ASAP.

Company said I was either eating dinner in Italy or buying 2200.00 worth of shoes in Florida. :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Credit cards are fun:)
Bought a Samsung tablet xmas 012 at costco.

Damn electronics shot crap two weeks ago[:/]

If you pay with their special Cc the CC company doubles the manufacturer's warranty . :ph34r: Not costco.

Try it you might get unlucky and need a real extended warranty. When was the last time you checked on your CC perks.:ph34r:

Carry cash:oB|. The bank tellers wash their hands every 15 minutes, due to the germs. Ask them some time.

Went to the same restaurant for lunch once a week for years. Free parking on the ave.B| . The waiter finally asked how come I never picked up the check.:o:S

"Got people." :|;)

One Jump Wonder

I used a credit card at a Flying J gas station and soon after had a bunch of charges come up in the Los Angeles area (I was nowhere near LA). I think one of the biggest disappointments was the modern attitude of "Its just part of doing business these days" when I commented to the lady on the phone regarding how easy it was to be reimbursed by the bank.
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-