turtlespeed

On line college - Whats to know

One of my rare serious posts . . .

What's to know about online universities and where should i look.

My goal is to be a consultant for freestanding emergency rooms in the construction and implementation phases.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Haven't done online, but I've done some video/audio classes for fun & knowledge. It's useful information, but if you want to be able to refer to the knowledge, then make sure that the name of the entity is reputable. If you just want knowledge, well, Coursera has lots of free offerings in just about anything.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Haven't done online, but I've done some video/audio classes for fun & knowledge. It's useful information, but if you want to be able to refer to the knowledge, then make sure that the name of the entity is reputable. If you just want knowledge, well, Coursera has lots of free offerings in just about anything.

Wendy P.

I'm looking at acquiring a degree that would further my quest.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

I think you need to make sure a university is accredited. Here's one link explaining it: http://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/articles/2013/10/16/how-to-tell-if-an-online-program-is-accredited.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

skymama

I think you need to make sure a university is accredited. Here's one link explaining it: http://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/articles/2013/10/16/how-to-tell-if-an-online-program-is-accredited.

Beyond accreditation, I would stick with a not-for-profit university. Between, say, a UofA and Phoenix U degree, most people will value the UofA one more, online or not (and I use those 2 as generic example).
Remster

Remster

***I think you need to make sure a university is accredited. Here's one link explaining it: http://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/articles/2013/10/16/how-to-tell-if-an-online-program-is-accredited.

Beyond accreditation, I would stick with a not-for-profit university. Between, say, a UofA and Phoenix U degree, most people will value the UofA one more, online or not (and I use those 2 as generic example).

I have been looking, FSU has a good online program. Phoenix seems good too.

I'm just getting started.:)

turtlespeed

I have been looking, FSU has a good online program. Phoenix seems good too.

I'm just getting started.:)

Ask around in your industry - find out which programs have a good / bad reputation among the people who matter (those who would hire you - either as an employee or contractor / consultant).

You accomplish two things there - you gather information, and you network, which is a good thing.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

normiss

WHAT? Is your quest?
:P

Freestanding ERs are recognized in Colorado and Texas only, at the moment and they are popping up everywhere.

My quest is to gain the education I need to be recognized as a consultant.

harvard has almost all of their courses available online, as does most other schools. i would never do a strictly online one, like u of phoenix. i am currently enrolled at university of charleston, and even though i live about 7 miles from campus, all of my classes so far have been online. i also take a few of the free classes for personal information, not credit, like cs 50 and a few other ones on programming. good place to start is contact a school that has the classes you want/need and inquire about whether they are online. osu is another good one, they offer most of theirs for free as well.

sfzombie13

harvard has almost all of their courses available online, as does most other schools. i would never do a strictly online one, like u of phoenix. i am currently enrolled at university of charleston, and even though i live about 7 miles from campus, all of my classes so far have been online. i also take a few of the free classes for personal information, not credit, like cs 50 and a few other ones on programming. good place to start is contact a school that has the classes you want/need and inquire about whether they are online. osu is another good one, they offer most of theirs for free as well.

Oregon, Ohio, or Oklahoma?

sfzombie13

sorry, ohio state. probably the rest also, but i know ohio state does.

Only if Osu Beats Osu while Osu watches.:P

Well, got my Fafsa done - I start a free online mini course tomorrow.

If that goes well, I'll have to make a decision on where I want to "Attend"

Why is this so . . . not terrifying . . . more like high anxiety . . .

Maybe its the lack of direction at this point, maybe the money . . .

Hmmm.

More to think on.

In addition to what others have stated, look up the university's loan default rate. This will give you an idea of the value that is associated with its program(s). If grads can't pay back their loans it suggests that the ROI is not very great.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

In addition to what others have stated, look up the university's loan default rate. This will give you an idea of the value that is associated with its program(s). If grads can't pay back their loans it suggests that the ROI is not very great.

Thats a great suggestion.

Which one would you recommend?

I have looked at Penn State, FSU, ruled out Kaplan, currently enrolled in the mini course from Capella to do a trial.

I haven't done homework in quite a few years.:D

i personally hate online learning. I know it is convenient, but I honestly think it is an inferior way to teach. It is very cheap for colleges, though, so there is no doubt why they like it.

You may want to consider if online learning is consistent with your learning style.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

turtlespeed

One of my rare serious posts . . .

My goal is to be a consultant for freestanding emergency rooms in the construction and implementation phases.

turtle......as an aside, but possibly relevant, check out who the general contracting firms "usually" are on these builds. I would guess it (freestanding er's) to be a bit of a niche, thus maybe only a handful biding on each job. I know from my perspective (electrical), health care facilities tend to be quite challenging . I bring this up because you could possibly do some sort of "internship" with the general contracting firm or one of the sub's. Seeing with your own eyes would be a nice supplement to your formal education. Also in the consulting biz, especially when starting out you are only as good as the last successful project you were involved in. So the more projects you can address the better. As you may very well know solving issues some large, some small are a constant process that start well before ground is broken. Mother nature, suppliers (especially in niche builds) can hold you hostage and force you to switch horses in mid-stream. Then a whole new challenge......broken contracts etc., etc.. Followed by barristers representing the damaged parties.
On time and on budget is the ultimate goal, but very rare due to "extra's" that most every job has. So meeting these challenges and making them as painless, non-time consuming, and drama free as possible to your end customer will go far.
I wish you success in your venture. I believe anything involving healthcare is a job forever if you want.