wmw999

Selling motorcycles -- Paypal a scam?

My husband and I are selling our bikes (we do most of the riding in New England, and we have bikes there). Nearly every person who's inquired so far has said that they want to use PayPal to pay for the bike, and most of them don't even seem to want to see it. The ad says "cash."

My thought is that anyone using PayPal for something that they're going to have to pick up in person is probably going to scan me. Or is PayPal how you young whippersnappers all pay for stuff now? If so, how do I ensure that I actually GET the money?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I can see how they would want to use PayPal, since it eliminates a trip to the bank for cash, and can be done outside business hours.

But if they don't even want to see the bike first, that screams "Scam!".
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Morning Wendy,

Short Answer is.. Yes, electronic transfers are more favorable these days.

Did you list the bikes on eBay?
If so, that is the preferred method of payment for most.
I've bought a number of large motorcycle parts this way over the years for rebuilding bikes by pics only and talking with the owners.
Even have a credit line PayPal for the purposes of a quick flip.
However, there are fees associated with PayPal and the credit line, so those need to be factored in.

Another example is - When I bought the dog collars from Conundrum, I have Chase so I just emailed her the money. She got an email to logon to the site, puts in her bank routing and account number and the funds are in there and cleared my bank the next day.

Why go thru the bother of going and getting cash when I can send or receive money and transfer goods without leaving my computer.

Having said that, there are scammers out there, but with both eBay and Paypal; both parties can get protection.

Hope that helps.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Couple thoughts -

Paypal can be for their protection in a couple different ways. I've never used it, so I could be wrong on some of this.

They come to get it, get a few miles down the road and the sawdust stops working so they now hear how bad the motor is.
Bike is now clearly "not as represented" and they can try to get their money back (not sure how that works).

You don't really have a bike to sell. You want them to come to you with cash in hand so you can rob them (not unknown to have happen).

They don't want the hassle or worry of carrying that much cash on them at all (not unreasonable).

They don't want to go to the trouble of getting that much cash in the first place. Banks often look at you funny if you ask for large quantities ("funny" as in "we need to notify the authorities").

And yes, them "young'uns" do that sort of thing that way a lot.

If you go PayPal (and it's not totally unreasonable), make sure you don't let them log on to show you that it's paid. There are some notable scams involving fake sites like that.
In theory, you could go to the DMV and stop the title transfer if the payment turns out to be a scam (I know people that did that with fake checks). It's a huge hassle, and you still have to get the actual vehicle back. In the case I know of, police were notified, reports were filed, charges were pressed (theft by fraud and "uttering" - knowingly writing a bad check).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

They come to get it, get a few miles down the road and the sawdust stops working so they now hear how bad the motor is. Bike is now clearly "not as represented" and they can try to get their money back.

Right, but even if the bike is in perfect condition, they can still pull that, keep the bike, and get their money back, leaving poor Wendy with nothing.

I go old school: Cash only, as-is sale. You're welcome to test drive and/or have a mechanic check it out. Take it or leave it.

Yeah, that's going to be the way it works. I'm going to be gone for the next three weeks, and my husband has decided that it's totally not worth messing with PayPal. There's a mechanic close by who can check the bikes (he's done most of the maintenance on mine anyway), and we're more than willing to let someone test drive as long as they have an endorsement and some security to leave; we're not talking massively expensive bikes here.

Wendy
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If so, that is the preferred method of payment for most.
I've bought a number of large motorcycle parts this way over the years for rebuilding bikes by pics only and talking with the owners.

For parts, sure.

For a vehicle you have to register and "pass ownership" to in an official government way, I'd do cash only.
Remster

REMI,

Yup, been talking with Wendy some and there's also the chance of a lien holder when buying a vehicle and the cleanest way is - you come, bring cash, test drive, take to mechanic, check title, "As-Is" bill of sale, etc.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Two Honda Shadows; a 600 and a 750. The 600 particularly is one of the best starter bikes there is (short, fairly light, but more than enough power for the highway). I'd expect a decent response to it.

Of course, this is Texas, where we really don't have a spring bike-buying season B|

Wendy P.

I use PayPal extensively for the protection it affords me both as buyer and as seller... That being said, for a motorcycle, I would only accept cash or a cashier's/certified cheque. If a cheque, I would do the transaction during business hours and phone up their bank to verify it's real. Basically, if the person is serious, they can test ride it, go to their bank, prepare the cheque, give you their bank info in advance (you can double-check the bank phone number from home)... Heck, you could even go to the bank with them. If they are in a hurry, too bad for them.

Also, I would agree a meeting place that is not your home or anywhere near where you normally park your bike. But you know that already :P

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Wendy,

One other thing I do, if they want to test drive a cycle...

If (and only if) they are serious about buying, I allow them to test drive it. But, I make them write me a check for the full sale amount, or, turn over the cash first. Then I explain, if they crash, they own it. It's theirs, they bought it. If they return it in good condition and decide it's not for them, I return the money/check and we part no worse for wear.

I've bought and sold many bikes this way. :)

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Scammers also use PayPal (or what looks like PayPal). This happened when I tried to sell my rig;

-Scammer emails you with interest in your "item"
-Scammer asks if you will accept PayPal
-If you agree (and set up an account with PayPal) the scammer asks you to send a bill via PayPal
-Next the scammer sends you a FAKE email from PayPal saying that the funds are there, but waiting on you to do some such action (usually sending a money order or such)
-If you are smart and actually check your REAL PayPal account you'll find there is no money there.

From there you can fuck with the scammer. I picked up a WU form and filled it out with a bogus transfer number and strung the guy along for a couple days. After which I told him to go kill himself or something fucked up along those lines.

Hope that helps. PayPal IS secure. PayPal will not suspend fund transfers. If it ain't there in your ACTUAL account then it's a scam.
Muff #5048