kallend

Question for windows geeks

After removing some nasty malware from my Win7 laptop, I now get the following message when I try to run some programs:

"The specified service does not exist as an installed service"

Also I can't seem to change my default browser any more.

I guess something important got lost along the way.

Suggestions?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

the "Get a Mac" answer would be a bit too easy...

my only other Windows solutions are : Ctrl+Alt+Del and Alt+F4 :D:D But I am pretty sure they wouldn't help you much....

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Services are programs that run in the background on your computer and often launch when the operating system starts up. Sometimes services are the malware and sometimes they are vital apps needed for the computer to deliver ... hmmm ... services.

Does the error message say what service failed?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

if the service is not specified in the error, then the only thing I would suggest is to check the error logs,

Right click on 'Computer', the 'Manage', then look at 'Event Viewer' and probably 'Windows Logs' but could be 'System'

Scroll through any that are recent and flagged as errors. Big red flags and read the details.

If you can identify the service, you can google that to see what it belongs to, and probably find something you can uninstall/reinstall to fix.

Lots of Windows Fix-It tools out there as well on Microsoft's website if it turns out to be a Windows service. The Fix-it tools are do-all things that basically fix broken shit.

If you don't already use it, try CCleaner

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

It's great to run everyday to clear all your cache/history and general rubbish that computers collect over time. It also has some repair tools that have been quite effective on problems I've had.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

There are a few options.

Checking the Event log is a good one. Using the original windows disk to repair the installation is another decent starting point.

Just in case it's related to a hardware device, right click on the My Computer in your start menu, and select Properties. Then click on Device Manager in the top left.

See if any of the devices in the new window have a yellow exclamation mark next to them.

The other thing which might help narrow down where the problem is is to perform a clean boot and see if the problem is still there:

1. Click Start, and type msconfig into the search bar and hit enter. The System Configuration Utility will appear.

2. In the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3. Uncheck the processing options that are listed below Selective Startup except "Load System Services."

4. Click Apply, and then click Close.

5. Restart the computer and test if you've still got a problem. If not, then it's not a windows error - it's a problem either with a driver or a secondary service.

RMK

If you don't already use it, try CCleaner

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

It's great to run everyday to clear all your cache/history and general rubbish that computers collect over time. It also has some repair tools that have been quite effective on problems I've had.

Did that already.

CanuckInUSA

Services are programs that run in the background on your computer and often launch when the operating system starts up. Sometimes services are the malware and sometimes they are vital apps needed for the computer to deliver ... hmmm ... services.

Does the error message say what service failed?

ShellExecute.ex failed; code 1060

The selected service does not exist as an installed service

yoink

There are a few options.

Checking the Event log is a good one. Using the original windows disk to repair the installation is another decent starting point.

Just in case it's related to a hardware device, right click on the My Computer in your start menu, and select Properties. Then click on Device Manager in the top left.

See if any of the devices in the new window have a yellow exclamation mark next to them.

The other thing which might help narrow down where the problem is is to perform a clean boot and see if the problem is still there:

1. Click Start, and type msconfig into the search bar and hit enter. The System Configuration Utility will appear.

2. In the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3. Uncheck the processing options that are listed below Selective Startup except "Load System Services."

4. Click Apply, and then click Close.

5. Restart the computer and test if you've still got a problem. If not, then it's not a windows error - it's a problem either with a driver or a secondary service.

"windows/system/msconfig.exe

The selected service does not existst as an installed service"

tkhayes

if the service is not specified in the error, then the only thing I would suggest is to check the error logs,

Right click on 'Computer', the 'Manage', then look at 'Event Viewer' and probably 'Windows Logs' but could be 'System'

When I click on "manage" I get

It seems to run regular programs OK, but not anything system related.

kallend

***if the service is not specified in the error, then the only thing I would suggest is to check the error logs,

Well, if all else fails.... chuck it in the trash and get a mac. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I think a system restore point is your best option here.

Run System Restore and pick a date prior to you having all the crappy issues that started all this. If you do not have such a date available, then a reinstall of windows might do the trick.

Some tech guy at a local shop might have some tricks up his sleeve.

kallend

***if the service is not specified in the error, then the only thing I would suggest is to check the error logs,

Wow.

Sounds pretty broken. [:/]
Do you have the windows install disc available? If not, I can probably put up an image of it for you to create a bootable USB stick.
I'd use that to try and repair the windows install. If that doesn't work, a reinstall is probably the next option unless a professional can get a look at it.

yoink

******if the service is not specified in the error, then the only thing I would suggest is to check the error logs,

Wow.

Sounds pretty broken. [:/]
Do you have the windows install disc available? If not, I can probably put up an image of it for you to create a bootable USB stick.
I'd use that to try and repair the windows install. If that doesn't work, a reinstall is probably the next option unless a professional can get a look at it.

I would like to try that if it's not too much trouble.

Two things on this. First, I suspect you haven't really removed ALL of the little gremlins on there. When I clean systems for my clients, I use at least 5 different programs to get things back into shape, often running some of them multiple times. I'm guessing there is only a partial removal of a virus/malware that is still setup to execute, but the actual program has been deleted, hence the error. Also, problems nowadays are VERY good at masking themselves and re-infecting the system if EVERYTHING is not completely removed. I stay in Safe Mode until I have all scanning tools giving me ZERO issues.

Second. if you suspect there are damaged or missing files, use the System File Checker that's built into Windows:

Start in Safe Mode, using F8 key at startup
Select Safe Mode with Networking
Open a command prompt window
In the command window, type sfc /scannow
If there are missing system files, that should cure it

Take heart, you system is no where near a big problem. You just need a few more steps to get it back to normal.

If you want specific information about scanning it for real, PM me. None of the programs/processes cost money and all are readily available from reliable/safe sources.

Jack Gramley
Computer Consultant

JakGramley

Two things on this. First, I suspect you haven't really removed ALL of the little gremlins on there. When I clean systems for my clients, I use at least 5 different programs to get things back into shape, often running some of them multiple times. I'm guessing there is only a partial removal of a virus/malware that is still setup to execute, but the actual program has been deleted, hence the error. Also, problems nowadays are VERY good at masking themselves and re-infecting the system if EVERYTHING is not completely removed. I stay in Safe Mode until I have all scanning tools giving me ZERO issues.

Second. if you suspect there are damaged or missing files, use the System File Checker that's built into Windows:

Start in Safe Mode, using F8 key at startup
Select Safe Mode with Networking
Open a command prompt window
In the command window, type sfc /scannow
If there are missing system files, that should cure it

Take heart, you system is no where near a big problem. You just need a few more steps to get it back to normal.

If you want specific information about scanning it for real, PM me. None of the programs/processes cost money and all are readily available from reliable/safe sources.

Well, I did that and now it's worse!

Previously I had internet access with it. Now it connects to my home wireless network OK, shows "internet access" on the taskbar, talks to other computers on my home network, but it seems to be unable to access any DNS server. I tried Chrome, IE and Firefox and they all give the same result. The network diagnosis tool in Control Center says it is unable to diagnose the problem.

And it still says it is missing installed services, and won't open "restore".

I'm now typing this from an old WinXP machine that is working just fine.

EDITED to add: if I start in Safe Mode, then the internet works fine.

In normal mode, open a command prompt and type:

nslookup www.google.com

and post the contents of the window.

It's also possible that the malware has turned on a proxy. To check this, go to control panel> internet options> Connections tab> LAN settings and verify that the checkbox under "Proxy server" is unchecked.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski

In normal mode, open a command prompt and type:

nslookup www.google.com

and post the contents of the window.

It says:

Server: UnKnown
Address: 108.59.9.193
*** UnKnown can't find www.google.com: No response from server

It's also possible that the malware has turned on a proxy. To check this, go to control panel> internet options> Connections tab> LAN settings and verify that the checkbox under "Proxy server" is unchecked.

The Proxy Server checkbox is unchecked.

Interesting. Is this wireless or wired?

Do you have some time after about 4pm Eastern for a call? I have a pretty good idea what we can do to fix this, but it'd be much easier to walk you thru it over the phone.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message