Socrates

How many spaces do you put after a period?

NewGuy2005

I read an article the other day in which they state that some human resources people look for the double space in order to weed out older candidates for employment.

I am not joking. The article said they have even automated the process.

If that's their criteria for finding good employees, then they're fricking idiots.

NewGuy2005

I read an article the other day in which they state that some human resources people look for the double space in order to weed out older candidates for employment.

Pretty much every word of every resume at every company FIRST goes through a computer program to do analysis before any human in HR sees it. Generally speaking they reject all but the top few that match as closely as possible the published job requirements AND any secret ones the company might have.

Add in simple things you've done to yourself, like social media profiles, and the ability of companies to completely F over people looking for a job is pretty much complete at this point and all with plausible deniability on the part of HR.

End of story.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

NewGuy2005

I believe that for sure. Two spacing after the period is a big no-no in modern college level writing. Professor looks as if you are trying to cheat and create bigger paper out of nothing. Same goes for people who make slightly larger parameter setting, size thirteen font, extra spacing between the paragraphs, ect.

Try putting two spaces after a period, you'll never get an A paper. Double spacing were the requirements for usage of the typewriter, and you still do have to use two spacing if you were to use a typewriter.

APA format still asks for double after period, MLA asks for a single.

http://www.mla.org/style_faq3
http://www.apastyle.org/manual/whats-new.aspx
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

oldwomanc6

***I had no idea a single space had become the "official" norm. I don't like it. >:(

Uh, Oh! You have officially become old, according to the youngsters, here. [:/]

p.s. I can't make my fingers think that only one space feels right either. :ph34r:

Yeah, if that recruiting software is filtering out 34 year olds... God help us all!!!
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

gowlerk

I don't really see why even one space should be needed.The period itself tell you the sentence is over.Anyone have a problem with reading this paragraph?

I can read it - but I don't like it. It looks ugly, and it definitely makes your eyes/ brain work harder. Ironically, your paragraph might have looked better typewritten, since without kerning the full stop/ period would have had more space either side of it. With a modern font, having such a small character wedged between two sentences means that character just gets lost.

I did vaguely recall from my youth that two spaces are supposed to follow a full stop, but I don't think anyone ever taught me that formally. Mind you, when I was learning to write we used pens. :P

jakee

***Hemingway, Faulkner, and I all put two spaces after a period.

You might be able to argue and reason with the first two, but I'm happy sticking with how I was taught to type.

And Scott Fitzgerald wrote 'should of'. Being famous doesn't make you right:P

"And 2 points to Jakee." :D:D

I'm a single space guy too. And I love a good ellipsis. . . :)