mrubin

Turkey Recipes

So Thanksgiving is next week and I am responsible for making our turkey. I've seen so many good food posts that I figured I'd ask how you prepare your bird. So share your recipes so I don't ruin the most important part of the meal.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Dry brine with kosher salt, homemade seasoning UNDER the skin, cover the little wingies with foil, spatchcock and roast on grill at 325 for about 4 hours.
I also make a nice thin gravy that penetrates into the meat instead of sitting on top like Jabba the Hutt.

Oh, cook to 165 internal temp on the turkey boobies.
;)

9 people. I'm thinking about getting a 15 pound bird and enjoying any leftovers.

Right now I'm thinking that I will soak the turkey in beer for a few days before I cook it. I have a friend who did that once and it turned out really good. Does anybody have any experience doing that and any suggestions?
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I stopped wet brining a couple of years ago.
Even with a huge professional sink, it's way more effort than the results are worth.
The risk of getting sick from the splashing and spilling of raw turkey anything are not worth it to me.
I'm terrified of poultry juices making a single person sick.

mrubin

9 people. I'm thinking about getting a 15 pound bird and enjoying any leftovers.

Right now I'm thinking that I will soak the turkey in beer for a few days before I cook it. I have a friend who did that once and it turned out really good. Does anybody have any experience doing that and any suggestions?

20 lb, so you can make sammiches, stew, and chili later.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

normiss

I stopped wet brining a couple of years ago.
Even with a huge professional sink, it's way more effort than the results are worth.
The risk of getting sick from the splashing and spilling of raw turkey anything are not worth it to me.
I'm terrified of poultry juices making a single person sick.

The answer to that is to use an orange Igloo water cooler to brine the turkey.

They are the perfect size for most turkeys , and being a closed system, the risk of cross contamination is very small. . They are inexpensive so you can dedicate one to use for this . They are easily sanitised using bleach and detergent . When the brining time it's done, they can be drained and ice added to keep the turkey chilled until time to cook it.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Alton Brown pretty much taught me how to cook. Back around the turn of the millenium he did an episode on how to cook a turkey. I've made two or three a year every year since then, using his recipe. Basically brine it and cook it using a probe thermometer and you can't go wrong. It makes a delicious bird every time, and really isn't that much work. I'm pretty sure you can find a video and his recipe on food network's web site somewhere.

You are going to need a turkey bucket, though.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I can't believe I'm commenting on a cooking topic, but...I've heard all of the soaking techniques; brine, beer, Wishbone salad dressing,etc. and I think you are all on the wrong track towards getting a juicier and tastier end result.

The answer? A never-frozen bird. It will be many times juicier and better. Not that the brines or the beer, or salad dressing soaks, etc. hurt anything, but why go to all of the mess and the work? And, do you have a refrig big enough and cold enough to do the soaking? Get the never- frozen turkey ordered early and reserved for you; then on the day before, pick it up from the butcher shop put it in the fridge overnight in the wrapping, (no mess) and cook it next am. It will be juicier and better flavored than anything frozen, reconstituted and soaked in anything. And no salmonella or other bug risk.

Too late to do all of the ordering, reserving etc now. Just go to the meat market and see if you can buy one the day before. So many people have figured this out so they may not have one. You may have to wait till next year.

A while back I was listening to an audio book. It was a holiday based comedy. But at the end it had some recipes. They were specifically geared towards meat lovers. One of them was for a bacon blanket turkey. Basically they rubbed it with all kinds of spices. Salted and spiced the hell out of the thing then wove bacon strips to form a blanket over it. So basically the turkey was wrapped in bacon and spices and would do a lot of it's own self marinade as it cooked holding the spice against the skin to soak in along with all the awesomeness of the bacon. Always wanted to try it but It's hard to justify cooking a whole bird just for my self. Yes, it's a little much even for me.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

I brine and stuff mine but I usually just do a breast. Tyler Florence gets me through the holidays every year.

On one of the Food Network Thanksgiving specials last year I believe most of the chefs agreed that you are better off with 2 12-14 pound turkeys than one really big one.

The best turkey I ever made (or had) was fresh, never frozen. I just stuck it in the oven, basted periodically, and cooked by weight. Now I'd use a meat thermometer to be certain it was done in the middle. No stuffing in the turkey.

Remember to finish cooking the turkey at least 15 minutes (preferably 30 for a bigger bird). The resting evens out the temperature in the turkey, which also allows the juices to spread out.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)