gunsmokex

Do you use QR codes

Never - and certainly not from some random flyer or a sticker.

The problem is they're not human readable. That link could take me anywhere - malware being the first thing that jumps to mind.

I realise this is paranoia and that the state of the art in QR codes and reading has probably moved on to make my worries less real, but this is the way I've always felt about them.

On the gripping hand: it's quicker and less fiddly to just Google the business on the flyer most of the time.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Joellercoaster

Never - and certainly not from some random flyer or a sticker.

The problem is they're not human readable. That link could take me anywhere - malware being the first thing that jumps to mind.

I realise this is paranoia and that the state of the art in QR codes and reading has probably moved on to make my worries less real, but this is the way I've always felt about them.

On the gripping hand: it's quicker and less fiddly to just Google the business on the flyer most of the time.

Bolding mine.

This, big time. It's not paranoia, it's common sense.

I don't click on random links, especially ones I can't even begin to read.

Besides, if the website is printed on the flyer, a pic of that can be used to take you there.

Or a 10 second search.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Depends what you are trying to achieve.I use them for some companies in some circumstances in conjunction with a trackable link. I can see how many people scanned it, their device, which country and a few other stats. Not everyones uses them so include the link below or with the QR code. They are good for adding digital media to a print product

Joellercoaster

It's very easy to read the content of the link before actually following it.

And once you do read the link, it could still take you to malware, just like any link you could read in the first place.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The111

***The problem is they're not human readable. That link could take me anywhere - malware being the first thing that jumps to mind.

It's very easy to read the content of the link before actually following it.

And once you do read the link, it could still take you to malware, just like any link you could read in the first place.

Well in his defense, QR links are often cryptic and the eventual website is often different that QR embedded link name.

But I guess if I got a flyer with a QR link and it was for a service I was interested in I would scan it. I think the odds of the link being to something that could damage my phone are low, because:

1. Malware creators would be unlikely to be printing and distributing flyers for specific services. I can see if I got a flyer on the Las Vegas strip with a dubious title "free secrets of how to win at poker" maybe, but not "Bill's snowplow service".
2. My phone browser is pretty well sandboxed. Malicious stuff on phones generally comes through the app store or app sideloading, not a browser.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

In another example, my combat camera section (military title for the official documenting photographers and the graphic design/high-volume printing section) uses them. When printing programs for the Marine Corps Birthday Ball, they will print only two or three physical programs per 10-person table. They'll create a QR code for an electronic version, and print the code below the table number. Attendees are much more comfortable with a code from the command's own official printers, I'd imagine. Trusted source and all.

:)

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

SethInMI

Well in his defense, QR links are often cryptic and the eventual website is often different that QR embedded link name.

If a QR encoding is made of a cryptic redirecting URL, that is a function of the person who made the URL, not the QR encoding (since QR can contain over 4k chars). So if the person who likes to share cryptic redirector URL's decides to not use a QR code but share the link as text... it's still a cryptic redirector URL.

I agree with the rest of your post though. I don't personally use QR codes, I don't even think I have anything installed on my phone that can handle them, unless it's built in to the OS. But I'm also not afraid of following one that is given to me by a trusted party.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com