Rick

get Euros before we go??

We are traveling to Belgium and Germany next month. I was wondering if it is better too exchange some $$ before we go or will we get a better rate when we get there??
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

My bank exchanges money at the published rate for no fee.

If your bank does the same, I'd do that.

Any advantage you might get on rates will be eaten up by fees.

I go up into Canada fairly often, so I usually carry $20 or so of their money.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

In my experience, using an ATM in Europe to get Euros gets you the best rate. In my experience some ATMs will charge fees or give you a rate that effectively includes a surcharge, but many do not.

I was just in Belgium in Feb, and for example I got money out of two different ATMs (Fortis and Arg) on Feb 25 and Feb 26. Looking at my own bank statement, I got an net rate of $1.106 and $1.109. This is very close to the rate for the day of $1.104.

When a friend of mine got Euros for his trip to Europe from his local US bank, IIRC he paid a ~%20 premium.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

my credit union says they can do the exchange. I need to hit them up at least 2 weeks before leaving. Exchange rate is whatever that days rate is. I can exchange from $200.00 to $10,000.00 and all they charge is a flat $10.00 fee.

Yeah, I see the wolf and I gave sort of opposite advice, so as you mentioned, the correct answer is YMMV. If your bank is like his, then yes get money exchanged there. Also check to see if your bank charges for foreign currency ATM withdrawals (mine does not).

Seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

We got Euros at our bank before we went to Italy. Also, make sure you see if your credit card charges per transaction or not. We have three cards, and only one was considered an International card where we didn't get charged per transaction.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hey bud...I generally just pull cash out of the ATM at whatever airport I'm at...at least for some walking around money.

The currency exchange places in the airport (Thomas Cook and the like) are a giant rip off. Avoid them like the plague.

skymama

We got Euros at our bank before we went to Italy. Also, make sure you see if your credit card charges per transaction or not. We have three cards, and only one was considered an International card where we didn't get charged per transaction.

Same here. We have one specific card that has no international exchange fees. Got it from BOA, no annual fee. No brainer there. :)

If you're ever in Granada, Nicaragua, the money changer guys on the street corner are legit, honest, and have the best rates. Look for the crowd of them all doing business.

I hope Belgium settles down before you arrive.
Beautiful country, great people, super good food and the homeland of good beer.

Unfortunately very much at war today, with bombs in the airport and the subways.

Peace. Please, people who don't want peace, get out.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

After I heard of the bombings, I also thought of Rick and his family traveling there soon. I also hope peace comes soon to the country. [:/]

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Yes it is a little concerning seeing this attack just a few weeks before our trip. So far there is only a general travel alert from the State Department for Europe.

"Officials advised U.S. citizens to "exercise vigilance" in public places or on mass transportation and to take "particular caution" during religious events or large events."

Rick

Yes it is a little concerning seeing this attack just a few weeks before our trip. So far there is only a general travel alert from the State Department for Europe.

"Officials advised U.S. citizens to "exercise vigilance" in public places or on mass transportation and to take "particular caution" during religious events or large events."

Yes, do be careful. Several people die every year in Belgium from lightning strikes, and hundreds in car accidents. Add to the that 31 that killed and 240 or so recently injured and it is clear. Belgium is potentially dangerous.

But yes, it does grab your attention. Have a safe trip.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

***Yes it is a little concerning seeing this attack just a few weeks before our trip. So far there is only a general travel alert from the State Department for Europe.

Yes, do be careful. Several people die every year in Belgium from lightning strikes, and hundreds in car accidents. Add to the that 31 that killed and 240 or so recently injured and it is clear. Belgium is potentially dangerous.

But yes, it does grab your attention. Have a safe trip.

:D thanks