superstu

lowest pulled

Now remember kiddies....."To each his own"

The lowest if I remember right............was around 700'......although I drank alot after that so I may be off by a hundred feet or so.

Other than that I'd say I start my deployment procedure by 2001 feet........normally the neptune indicates a deployment around 1200-1400, and we all know that those things are not exactly right.

Now I do not recommend this behavior...........but it is fun at times......wait........who packed this thing last????
.......I hereby reject your reality and instead choose to insert my own!

My lowpull?

Got me grounded for 2 weeks, Jerry Mc Cahalluy's (sp?) 2000th jump, ( he was a Nevy SEAL trainer) I was filming , I had told everyone leave at the bottom, I am flying in to monkey flip him....BAD idea....never try tpo scare a Navy SEAL...I grabbed his legs at break offf, he simply rolled in, and grabbed mine...Laughing his ass off the whole time (I have it in video) The last altitude I saw was 1200...I dumped while we were stilll rolling, he opened below me, (we both got grounded)..My guess is I opened at 1100, he opened at 850!

My lowpull?

Got me grounded for 2 weeks, Jerry Mc Cahalluy's (sp?) 2000th jump, ( he was a Nevy SEAL trainer) I was filming , I had told everyone leave at the bottom, I am flying in to monkey flip him....BAD idea....never try tpo scare a Navy SEAL...I grabbed his legs at break offf, he simply rolled in, and grabbed mine...Laughing his ass off the whole time (I have it in video) The last altitude I saw was 1200...I dumped while we were stilll rolling, he opened below me, (we both got grounded)..My guess is I opened at 1100, he opened at 850!

Fuck all the typo;s , Butm we had a second camera on this jump,,,he giot grounded too, (Kevin Flerity) When I dumped, me and him almost rapped...fucker was stilll filming!:o

My lowpull?

1600' My JM was watching. Asked me if I was drinking when I walked backed to the hanger. LOL
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

About '79, Sparta Illinois...

Main was a 252HW, reserve a 23' Tri-Con, Piglet container...complete with jesus string.

Accuracy meet exit at 2200' and the ole 252 spider knotted up and made a really slick streamer.

I fought it for a short time (i thought) popped the shot & 1/2s and went to work...looking down as I yanked the reserve I distinctly remember seeing the sunglasses on two of the people looking up! :o

Had about a 2 second reserve ride and the main thumped in right next to me two seconds after that.

The beer sure was good THAT night! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

3 or 4 hop & pops at about 17 or 1800 (which we called 2000) due to overcast back in the 70s/80s in Upstate New York, where it's always cloudy. That, plus a total mal on a 4-pin container that put me under a round reserve at terminal at about 1000.

3 or 4 hop & pops at about 17 or 1800 (which we called 2000) due to overcast back in the 70s/80s in Upstate New York, where it's always cloudy. That, plus a total mal on a 4-pin container that put me under a round reserve at terminal at about 1000.

Balls. Came in under clould cover under 2k. Only 6 outta 13 in the Caravan would go. Hop and Pop fur sure. Runwayway looks like a parking lot we were so low. Pilot name to be unmentioned. Was a good spot for sure. ;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

superstu

i was just interested in what's the lowest everyone has pulled, for what ever reason. me personally in my short skydiving career is i think 2.7k

I don't know where I pitched, but I have been in the saddle at three digits.

Many moons ago I watched as Steve 'Deadman' Morell hooked up a bright orange Interceptor he had just purchased.

The ceilings had been low all weekend, but he convinced the pilot to take him up to test jump his new canopy. With just a little testosterone in the air, there was a discussion of "how low can you go?"

Very shortly thereafter, the plane was coming over the peas at 250 feet and descending, with Steve on the step holding his pilot chute in hand. Since the bridle was flapping around, the guy inside the plane shooting camera reached out to hold his closing pin in place.

With the pilot screaming "don't jump!," Steve left the step and I hit the shutter release with my camera on 'continuous.' After he hit the peas and came to a stop, I still had some of the 24 exposures left - well less than 10 seconds between step and pea pit.

At the Convention in Rantoul a couple of guys decided to do brief RW during a hop an pop. After breakoff, one of them then took it down a bit - after which his canopy sniveled (go figure).

In all fairness, he did manage to clear his brakes before landing, but he did not have a whole lot of room to spare.

A good rule of thumb regarding low pull contests is that you can't set a new record, the best you can do is tie the existing.

BSBD,

Winsor

I've read that story several times and it's still amazing. IIRC, Mike Mullins was on the PA yelling "I FORBID YOU TO JUMP" :D People standing around the pea pit had to dive out of the way when Steve came screaming in. I only wish I'd been there.

I too have been in the saddle under my main in the 3 digit range. Loose leg strap pulled all the way out to the stop after getting snagged on a floating exit. I didn't realize it until I started tracking after a 12 way and felt it flapping against my leg. Would have been a certain mal on both main and reserve. Took me a while to grab the wildly flapping strap, work my hands to the end of the strap and start yanking on it til I had it cinched, and then immediately reached back to pull while taking a quick look at my altimeter and going "OH FUCK!" In the saddle at 700 feet, no cypres. That was just a month and a half before Sandy Wambach went in.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've saddled out at 300 ft. Twice. On jump #14 and again about a thousand jumps later. For severel thousand jumps after that I tried to avoid having that much fin.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

winsor

A good rule of thumb regarding low pull contests is that you can't set a new record, the best you can do is tie the existing.

BSBD,

Winsor

Actually, you can go lower... technically. There's this 1000 ft deep hole in the ground somewhere in Mexico... :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Quagmirian

I haven't read all of this thread so this has probably already been posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2ND2A0rrN0

That's the same jump Winsor Naughler described a few posts up. Steve Morrell's 200 ft jump. :D:S

I would never do such a thing, but I've seen those that have. A three man out of a 10E at Hinckley from 700 feet. Two man out of a 182 from 1800, both guys had to pick up their feet to clear the telephone wires. A guy that opened cleared two rows of corn and landed. I watched a camera man cut away low and go below the trees at Zhills. When we got there he was laying on the ground touching himself, from head to toe. He didn't remember opening just being on his ground on his back.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Lowest exit for me was on an airshow demo, C182 just under cloud cover at 1800 feet. I held my PC in my hand on the step (out of the pouch) and as soon as my head cleared the steps I pitched. :S

Craziest exit was a 7 way chunk from Mullins King Air at 2000 feet. They held it for a couple seconds then broke off for a quick track and pitch. Damn. :o:D No cypres fires on that one. Amazing.

Jumping a PC in Antioch. I had about 35 freefalls, (numerous static line jumps in the military). It was "last lift" and I had not finished repacking the PC. Someone told me to hurry up and I could make the last lift jump which was usually at dusk. I had never done it so as I looked at the stabilizers I just quickly stowed them and closed it up. I dumped at 2500 and one of the stabilizers was all balled up and the PC started to spin. I don't know why I tried to clear it but I did and almost immediately the canopy pitched into a dive while spinning violently. I was actually above the canopy swinging when I managed to cutaway. It took me a bit to get stable and then I dumped my reserve. Upon opening, I looked at my altimeter and it was about 1100'. Lesson: Should have packed it like I was taught and never mess around too long with a spinning malfunction. Here is a pic of that same PC (at Antioch). Glad you are all writing about this rather than someone else writing about you.....Blue skies mates!

Swimdoc