hcsvader

Vaders eastern states road trip

Hey everyone.

Me and Wifey will be in the US in October for 5-6 weeks. Plan is to steal a vehicle from my parents in Canada and drive from Ontario to ????

Ive never been to the eastern states so I need recommendations on where to go, what to do, where to jump, looking for friends to catch up with and play tour guide, let me drink all your beer and sleep on your floor :)

Rough plan is to travel south from Detroit to florida chasing the warm weather.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

Couple of suggestions (though you will
Need to drive east and north for some)

Vermont Skydiving adventures (small, Cessna DZ with great vibes and views)
Skydive New England (mid size dz with great vibes and views)
Skydive the Ranch ( large dz with great vibes and shit ton of freefliers)

hcsvader

Cheers, the ranch and new England are places i would like to check out but I'm not sure how the weather will be at those locals in October.

Probably blustery and chilly. It depends. The mid-Atlantic and southern states would be warmer for sure.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

We are looking at Tennessee and Georgia at the moment. I like the idea of checking out Memphis and also want to visit skydive the farm.

Any suggestions for those areas on other things to see and do?
Have you seen my pants?

Hold off until December and come and play in Eloy :D,
Also Deland has some cool shit happening then too B|B|B| And then there's Invasion in Sebastian:)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

hcsvader

We are looking at Tennessee and Georgia at the moment. I like the idea of checking out Memphis and also want to visit skydive the farm.

If you're gonna be in Memphis in late October, you MUST do Mike Mullins' Halloween Boogie at West Tennessee Skydiving with his Super King Air. Rides to 14K feet in 7 minutes, and epic costume party. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Iago

***We are looking at Tennessee and Georgia at the moment. I like the idea of checking out Memphis and also want to visit skydive the farm.

Memphis is kind of a shithole. They have some good blues and BBQ, but I never saw much else that really caught my attention. You can pay through the nose to see Graceland but that's not really high on my list.

About the only thing interesting about Graceland was the personal jets, and of course, the TV with the bullet hole in the screen. ;)

BillyVance

About the only thing interesting about Graceland was the personal jets, and of course, the TV with the bullet hole in the screen. ;)

Lemme guess;
He was watching "Gunsmoke" and tried to out-draw Marshall Dillon?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Do check them out. Leaving Pigeon Forge on 441 to go east, there's this really cool 360 degree loop-de-loop through a rock bridge to go up the mountain. Totally cool. And a nice hike along the Appalachian trail at the top. You have to reserve cabins in the smokies if you want to backpack, but that's about the only place I think. Lots of great day hikes along the Boue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina, too.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Do check them out. Leaving Pigeon Forge on 441 to go east, there's this really cool 360 degree loop-de-loop through a rock bridge to go up the mountain. Totally cool. And a nice hike along the Appalachian trail at the top. You have to reserve cabins in the smokies if you want to backpack, but that's about the only place I think. Lots of great day hikes along the Boue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina, too.

Wendy P.

Pigeon Forge also has a wind tunnel. Passed it last year on the way to Gatlinburg but didn't go in. Now if you want to see Gatlinburg, you can, but beware... it's jam packed to the gills with tourists. :S

DanG

Pigeon Forge also has a wind tunnel.

Maybe they've updated it, but it was one of the oldest in the US, which sounds cool, but it is not capable of the speeds needed to do any real tunnel flying.

IIRC the original one was an open air one. This one I saw was enclosed in a building but I have no idea what it's capable of or how big it is. All I did was noticed it was there and drove on by.

hcsvader

Yup, mountains and hiking are on the to do list. We plan on camping for most of the trip. Thinking about checking out the smokey mountains.

That part of the country is gorgeous in mid-late October. Asheville is a funky, artsy little town (albeit a bit touristy) that's worth a visit. If you're into gawking at wretched excess you can tour the Biltmore Estate there.

Skydiving-wise you could head east from there and visit the tunnel / dropzone in Raeford, NC then head south.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Dates are sorted.

fly out tomorrow 23/08 to germany, hire a car in munich then head to austria/slovenia.

Canada 23/09 spend about 10 days there the head southward.

return to perth via toronto on 7/11

11 weeks of holidays :) fuck Yeah!
Have you seen my pants?

NWFlyer

***Yup, mountains and hiking are on the to do list. We plan on camping for most of the trip. Thinking about checking out the smokey mountains.

That part of the country is gorgeous in mid-late October. Asheville is a funky, artsy little town (albeit a bit touristy) that's worth a visit. If you're into gawking at wretched excess you can tour the Biltmore Estate there.

Skydiving-wise you could head east from there and visit the tunnel / dropzone in Raeford, NC then head south.

Asheville is a nice little town. Also home to an obelisk monument in downtown honoring Zebulon Baird Vance, governor of NC from 1862 to 1865 and one of my ancestors.

There is a large open air wind tunnel nearby that can accommodate 8 ways, IIRC but I don't remember the exact details or where exactly it is.

NWFlyer

***Yup, mountains and hiking are on the to do list. We plan on camping for most of the trip. Thinking about checking out the smokey mountains.

Asheville is a nice little town. Also home to an obelisk monument in downtown honoring Zebulon Baird Vance, governor of NC from 1862 to 1865 and one of my ancestors.

There is a large open air wind tunnel nearby that can accommodate 8 ways, IIRC but I don't remember the exact details or where exactly it is.

jumpwally

Whats in Gatlinburg that brings out so many peeps ?

Tourist trap. Big time. Lots of attractions, and its right in the Smokey Mountains. It's one of the top vacation spots for southern rednecks. :D But I have seen people from other countries too. I saw license plates from all over the US as well.

I would rather rent a cabin well out of that town and tour the mountains themselves, especially Cades Cove.

However, there are a few attractions and cabins for rent along US 321 west of Pigeon Forge. The scenery is still very nice and rural though.

Flying into Canada on friday after spending a month touring around Europe.

Here is a rough map of the places we plan on visiting throughout the month of october. Suggestions of what to see and do along the way, cool places to go camping, DZs and events in the areas. As always our plans are highly flexible depending on whats happening where.

Cheers
Have you seen my pants?

Close to Nashville is a place called Mansker's Station. It's a replica 1700's house and enclosure, but what makes it cool is that the guides are the people who built the fort, using the 1770's techniques, and they're really jazzed about it. Jazzed people are nearly always interesting, unless they run on for too long.

Of course it may not be the same people running it any more (I was there 5 years ago), but it was cool. The people made it cool. They weave their own cloth etc too.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Man, you're avoiding Virginia like we got cooties. ;)

If you're at all into cars or industrial type stuff, a good rainy day activity in Bowling Green Kentucky is to tour the Corvette plant. You get to walk around on the plant floor while they are putting together the cars. It's pretty high tech and better than most plant tours.

- Dan G