DJL

Amazon Echo Sucks

Got one. It's cool but how in the fuck does a bluetooth device not operate alone, it won't work as a stand-alone bluetooth device. What I want is to stream to it via bluetooth without having it connected to wifi. That's job number zero of a bluetooth device. I don't want to enter a wifi password to it every time I'm somewhere different. Fucking internet of things.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

They're now apparently having a freeze/crash issue because since they want to route all functionality through their cloud they've overloaded their cloud with all the new xmas users.

Never forget its main function is to sell you shit and they convinced somebody else to even pay for that (you or somebody who bought it for you). The secondary use is to spy on you so as to better sell you shit. Everything beyond that is gravy, smoke, and mirrors.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The thing is just another data tracker. What I noticed they did is bomb the web with their own trouble-shooting guides that are thinly veiled advertisements so that anything disparaging doesn't show up on the first page.

Yeah, it's funny when there are thousands of articles about how this was the best gift of 2017.....and the articles and posts are dated early December.

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/12/28/507230487/as-we-leave-more-digital-tracks-amazon-echo-factors-in-murder-investigation

I think I'll pass on voluntarily bugging my own home and sending the recordings to someone else's servers.:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Well, it is better than Google's version, the Home, that does not have a bluetooth connection at all. Since it is marketed as a cloud supported device, I am not surprised that it does not have an "offline" mode.

My parents have one, we bought it for them for Christmas last year. They use it as a voice activated music player, and they use the shopping list feature. They like it.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Channel grazing recently and stopped on a shopping channel as they were trying to sell this thing.
They were playing '20 Questions" with it and it was failing hilariously.
Every few questions it would completely change it's course of questioning.

I like what it does. Just not a fan of some of the features, especially that now "They" know what I'm doing in my house. ....and that fucking bluetooth thing, man!!!