Slowfaller

Wings Freefly pud Problem

I own a Wings W-11 w/ a codura BOC and a freefly pud and the pud is very loose in the bridle flap that covers the bottom of the container. Out of all the jumps made on it I'd say it stays in there about 80% of the time but the other 20% of the time I find it flapping in the wind at pull time. Never a problem finding it though.

I've read examples such as aggiedave's rig that can be lifted up by the pud and won't even come out. Mine is hardly like that. Thankfully the elastic lip to the codura BOC, my PC has never tried sneaking out of there.

My question is, the last few jumps I've done i've put the stiff end of the pud into the elastic lip of my boc and its stays in there well and is easy to find, grab and throw but is there anything bad about doing it this way? It is more secure than sliding it into the bridle cover flap.

I haven't emailed sunrise yet, figured I'd ask a gear question at 11:45pm on dz.com because this is the only place you can, as someone mention before:)
Chris

--"Someday you will die and somehow somethings going to steal your carbon" -MM

That sucks.

Ok, sorry, gotta ask...do you think you're hitting it or maybe knocking it loose prior or during exit?
I'm sure the answer is no, but I'm gonna guess that's one of the first questions you'll be asked by Wings...

Do you have the right sized main and reserve in the container or is the container a little large for the canopies. Also, is your closing loop tight enough? Both of those may not have the proper tension on the flaps to really snug your FF pud down.

I've noticed that since I downsized my FF pud is a little more loose then it used to be, it also tightened up a bit after I readjusted the closing loop length (shortened it up) which helped alot, but even still, its no where even near what your experiencing.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Chris:

I have a W-10 with a Hornet 150 and it's a full pack resulting in a very tightly stowed freefly pud. In fact, I have to work the pud's stiffener under the flap starting with the corner inserted at a loosest point. I think that your canopy is just about right in the middle of the size range for that container, so, as Aggiedave suggested, could the closing loop be too long?

Tom

I had the exact opposite problem. My EXT W8-1 came with the FF handle and it was a true bitch to tuck it in. The container was way too tight. I finally gave up and installed a monkey fist. Beside now my wings is my WS specific container and I use the S3 PC pouch instead of the BOC. I do believe the FF handle is very container specific. If it's too lose it comes out if it's too tight it's very difficult to tuck in. When it fits OK I think it's a wonderful system.
Memento Audere Semper

After my first "floating" pud handle (not bad, just went from being a pud inserted in the right closing flap to a floating hacky), I had our local rigger tack about an inch and a half of velcro on the pud flat part and the opposing piece on the inside of the right closing flap. Works fine. Hope that helps.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Mine started doing that now that I have a smaller main. I just stick the tab in the mouth of the pouch now and it stays just fine.

If you really think about it, a floating freefly pud is no different than a normal hackey.
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

I own a Wings W-11 w/ a codura BOC and a freefly pud and the pud is very loose in the bridle flap that covers the bottom of the container.

Sounds like you have a main sizing issue. The fit of this is very specific to the container and main sizings. After all, that's pretty much what anchirs it to the container.

Give the company a call and speak to the owner Henri. I guarantee you he'll do what's necesary to make you happy with it. (813) 788 1910. Tell him I (Gareth) told you to call if you want.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

To answer some of the questions asked, My container was made for a sabre2 150 and a tempo 150. I later bought a Hornet 150 due to the price difference and good reviews I've read here. Now if its designed for a ZP 9 cell tapered 150, I wouldn't think the Hornet vs Sabre2 would not make that much of a difference.

I check my handles before I exit multiple times and its there before I exit. I usually do a solo or 2-3 way sit fly and, as far as I know, always have a clean exit. On my solos I know the exit is clean. Nice big otter door. There have been some pin checks at 10K where the pud is noticed hanging there and is inserted into the BOC pouch then.

I've had a packer suggest to have a rigger sew some velcro under the flap and on the stiff side of the PUD. An idea i've kept in mind. Also thought about getting rid of the PUD completely for a hackey.

Right now, slipping the stiff side of the pud into the BOC lip has been working fine and if its not seen as dangerous I'll just keep doing that.

Again, thanks everyone!

Chris

I've had a packer suggest to have a rigger sew some velcro under the flap and on the stiff side of the PUD. An idea i've kept in mind. Also thought about getting rid of the PUD completely for a hackey.

What's the difference between a floating pud and a normally floating hacky? Nothing that I can see. If the floating part really bothers you, sewing velcro on the outside wouldn't be bad. An elastic pocket would work just as well.

I'm happy just sticking it in the mouth of the pouch.
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

What's the difference between a floating pud and a normally floating hacky?

Nothing really, I guess I'm just not comfortable with that idea for some reason:S But if you've had no problems with sliding it into the lip of the BOC I'll continue doing that since its solid that way too.

Chris

That hornet will be much tighter in the container than a sabre would be. Different fabrics. The hornet is galvenor fabric. Packs a size bigger...ish.
My nitro 150 packs considerably larger than my Safire 159 did. The 150 packs like my old sabre 170. I'm gonna vote your container fit is fine to tight and that's not the issue.
How close to the boc opening is the bridle flap. A large gap there (maybe from bigger hornet) will make the handles flap stretch further exposing more of it... Easier to works it's way out from under the right side flap. Idk, I'm bored at work, and that's my 2 cents.

Edit to add: Hooray for not looking at the dates! Your welcome for reviving a 10 year old thread!
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

congrats!

also Wings came up with a nifty solution to the problem of people downsizing beyond the scope of the rigs ideal sizing. They have an extra pocket on the BOC for the free-fly pud so that if its loose under the side flap its still tight in the boc pocket as its against the bottom main flap and the dbag keeps the tension good
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.