scooterskydives

Ear Plugs....

An ENT has actually been doing some testing at a local dropzone and its proven that freefall noise is more damaging than airplane noise. She hopes to be sharing her research in parachutist when she finishes it. Im not saying airplanes are not bad... also depends on airplane type I spent several years jumping from a 1952 Beaver... very loud, long ride.

How many decibels is she getting in free fall? The worst part of the dive cycle for me? When I get stuck sitting right by an engine on a twin Otter. Good grief, those engines are LOUD.

Here, check out this link: http://video.about.com/pediatrics/Ear-Pressure.htm

Even the better fitting foam earplugs that I use, haven't caused me any problems w/this. I do tend to have difficulty clearing my ears, sometimes. This was true before I started wearing plugs, too. That difficulty is w/my Eustachian tubes, not the other side of the membrane. The foam plugs don't seal completely. One poster mentioned a pre-existing injury(?), & should double check w/his ENT. Otherwise, I don't see this being an issue. Yes, you could get plugs w/a hole running through them. That hole will also let in sound, though. Negating the purpose of the plug. Maybe that's why those Surefires(?) are rated @only 26NRR. While these are rated for 32NRR: http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/laser-lite

PilFy thanks for the video it describes very good what is going on during the preassure change. It's interesting fact they say the ear equalize through eustachian tube naturally every 500-1000ft of hight change. thus from the jump of 12K it would happend at least 12 times up and 12 times down :)

What kind of ear plugs are you using? Are those custom made? Do you wear them during the entire jump? How often do you equalize during the jump and how do you do it?

regarding our last conversation, you must have been quite "frühreif" to be my dad.. :D:D:D

Though it would not have been impossible, quite the contrary... if there had been a girl willing to date me :)
But again, you sounded and read younger to me, rather "halbstark". Thought you were 25+ :P
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Nice to hear I persuaded you to practise some German. :)Thanks for the link; I also found other interesting videos I might use in class since im teaching at a medical vocational college .

Regarding your thought experiment: The ear plugs recommended in the link I posted support pressure equalisation by means of a small canal in it. It's a little more sophisticated a AFAIK... But they do not prevent clearing your ears. Another reason for custom-made plugs, I think.

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

I'm glad the video made it clear for you. I use regular OTC foam plugs. I've been using the Howard Leight company's plugs for a while, now. Their foam is more spongy than typical store fare. I already sent you a link to their site. I like to wear then for the trip to altitude. I'll jump with or without them. I'm bumming to read the decibels in free fall might exceed the plane engines. After almost 30yrs on bikes w/a full face helmet & earplugs? I enjoy an open face experience. We'll have to see how many decibels she gets on her meter.

I've had tinnitus in my left ear for a long time and know how annoying it can be. Because of that, and not wanting it to get worse (it was caused by SCUBA diving and happened quite quickly) I generally wear foam earplugs whenever I'm around aircraft, especially sky vans, and always inside my full face helmet. I have an audible that I'm able to hear and I don't take them out for free fall.

I can actually hear better in the airplane with the earplugs than without them. I'm amazed at what I can hear. The same in free fall as they cancel out most of the unwanted noise.

Get the correct pair for you and you will lower your chances of tinnitus and actually hear better in the airplane and in free fall.
Dano

What brand name and model do you use?

Everyone is different and you'll need to experiment with different ones. If you "Google" foam ear plugs you'll see tons of um and I initially ordered several samplers with a variety of foam ear plugs to try. I then found the ones that worked best, FOR ME were called MAX and they claim to cancel out 33dbs.

The company name id Howard Light and ordered a box of 100 at the time. I think they ended up costing less than .50 for a pair. I use them on my motorcycle too.
Dano

Hey Scooter,

Hope yer doin good! Anyhow, after I quit tandem whoring for a living I went to work for a company that does a lot of work in refineries and such. OSHA requires them to have us take an annual hearing test. Turns out that all that freefall noise, airplane noise, rock concerts, gunshots etc really screwed up my hearing. Can't say that I notice it in day to day life too much, but Nathalie always gets mad at me for watching TV with the volume up too high, and if I am laying on the couch with my right ear on a pillow I notice my left is much worse. (they called it moderate / severe hearing loss on the left side).

I remember sitting across from DJ in the otter on many occasions and getting pissed off at him for how loud he was (he always wore earplugs and therefore was a very loud talker). In retrospect he was a good example, even if he did piss of the load with his yelling and smelly ass.

Fullface helmet do not provide sufficient protection at least not in the range up to 1,5 kHz. (Can be seen at page 28 of this PDF)

Thanks for the link! I appreciate the quantitative info (and a good reason to practice my German -- geez, I'm rusty...). I think I'll look into getting some custom earplugs made, since I can't find generic ones that fit my tiny ear canals.

Here's a nice video about how clearing one's ears works: http://video.about.com/pediatrics/Ear-Pressure.htm

A thought experiment: If you can clear your ears while wearing earplugs on the ride to altitude, doesn't that demonstrate that equalizing the pressure in your ears is possible while wearing earplugs? The only difference between the pressure change on the ride to altitude and in freefall is the rate of change.

For those who wear earplugs in the plane, can you clear your ears by yawning, swallowing, etc (i.e. by not using your hands to plug your nose)? Is it more difficult with the earplugs in than without them?

If it's no more difficult to equalize pressure with the earplugs than without on the ride to altitude, shouldn't the same be true in freefall? If it is more difficult with ear plugs in, that would indicate probable problems in freefall.

There is a big difference in the time to altitude and freefall time. Your increasing the pressure as you freefall rather quickly. Similar to scuba. If you get behind equalizing it gets more and more difficult. In scuba you are taught to stop and ascend a bit till you can clear. then continue down. NOT and option in freefall. Thats is my concern and why i wont jump with them in my ear.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

can you believe 130 decibels in freefall!!! yeouch

Really??? She registered 130db on her meter for the full minute of belly-flying free fall? Please verify that. If true, that suqs. Sometimes I wear 'em. Sometimes I don't. If it's really 130db. I'll have to wear 'em all the time. Bummer...

can you believe 130 decibels in freefall!!! yeouch

Really??? She registered 130db on her meter for the full minute of belly-flying free fall? Please verify that. If true, that suqs. Sometimes I wear 'em. Sometimes I don't. If it's really 130db. I'll have to wear 'em all the time. Bummer...

I normally jump with earplugs. About a week and a half ago I somehow lost a earplug, but did a jump anyway. When I got down, I noticed my unplugged ear was noticeably muffled compared to the ear that had an ear plug (but only for half an hour or so), so hearing damage can definitely happen, even on single jumps!
Brian

I use the single highest rated (33db) disposable earplug I can find. I started wearing them as a tunnel instructor but also because I noticed hearing loss and ringing from 4 years of skydiving. Now after 12 years, I won't fly or jump without them.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I use the single highest rated (33db) disposable earplug I can find. I started wearing them as a tunnel instructor but also because I noticed hearing loss and ringing from 4 years of skydiving. Now after 12 years, I won't fly or jump without them.

Can you provide model name and brand name of these ear plugs?

I just purchased these and they are excellent.
(On recommendation from this forum).

http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

I have some custom made fully moulded earplugs which I use for the tunnel (The green leopard ones above) but recently I've been wondering just how effective they are. (These are the second pair I've owned). After a while they get looser and you can tell they are helping but definitely not as effective.
Also, I've worked in heavy industry all my life and my last 2 annual hearing tests have now started to show a significant decline (I am only 36). So I have a vested interest to really start looking after my hearing.

Well, these new EP3 ones are extremely soft and comfortable (They seem even better than the custom pair), but more importantly they get in there real tight and stay in there so you really feel they are working.

Gonna see how I get on with these now.

http://www.moldex.com/hearing-protection/foam-earplugs/sparkplugs.php
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I see that the classic cylindrical yellow E-A-R plugs have a NRR rating of 29, but their tapered closed foam ones also have a 33 rating. (http://www.e-a-r.com/e-a-r.com/roll_detail.cfm?prod_family=Earsoft&ind_prod_num=312-1250001) They've got the same shape as the Sparkplugs that were mentioned.

So it seems a few quality brands might all reach the 33 level.

http://www.moldex.com/hearing-protection/foam-earplugs/sparkplugs.php

Reading some on that page, the color pattern is patented. Which makes me believe that these are the same ones I have used when doing tunnel camps. Single nicest thing I have ever put in my ear.

I really like these ear plugs.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Thanks! Do you wear them while in freefall? If so, did you notice any change when it comes to pressure equalisation?

I'll butt in here for a moment. I put them in before boarding the plane and take them out after landing. It's the best thing I've done for my ears. Equalization is not an issue.

I have about 5000 skydives without and about 500 with.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I'll butt in here for a moment. I put them in before boarding the plane and take them out after landing. It's the best thing I've done for my ears. Equalization is not an issue.
I have about 5000 skydives without and about 500 with.

Great! Thanks for that, that helps a lot. Two more questions:

1. Can you hear people talking to you when the airplane is OFF?
2. Can you hear people talking to you when the airplane is ON?