groundpounder

AAD--new or used?

A cypres is good for 12 years. A new cypres just means you get the full 12 years as opposed to whatever life is left on a used one. Personally, I just bought a new vigil and am selling off my cypres. If you are planning to buy new, go for a vigil. They worked out all the bugs, don't require maintenance, and the cutters are free if you have a fire!

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

I like the idea of letting someone elsa pay for the depreciation on things, but only if you do not lose money in the long run. Think about how long you plan on keeping that rig, and think about a cypress that has about that many years left on it. As far as the Vigil thing goes I am not sure if there is still a bug issue, or if people keep "hating" on a new product. The only experience I have seen with them is a buddy of mine had one in his new wings that had errors and a wacky display. Instead of wating on the bugs to be fixed and not wanting to be jumping something that could save his life that still has issues he got a cypress2.

The cypres does not depreciate like most other products. Because it has a finite life span and quantifiable running costs it's second hand value is quantifiable almost to the penny.

It therefore does not depreciate simply because it's had 1/2/3 owners. It does not get damaged or it's rendered un-airworthy.

Find the online cypres calculator - google will provide and fill in the figures on any used cypres you find. So long as the price is right it doesn't matter if it's new or used you will still be able to calculate exactly how much it is going to cost you over it's whole/remaining life.

In short - it doesn't matter, so long as it's not over priced relative to it's age, be it 11 or 0.

If you can find a reasonably priced used cypres, I'd go for that first. I got tired of looking and bought a brand new Cypres 2, then a couple days later a couple of used ones showed up in the classifieds.>:(. Of course, I won't have to worry about batteries anytime soon.

If a cypres has been wet it has to go back to the factory for inspection and recertification. Should be noted on the card. The Cypres2 has rigger change able filters that you can get damp and not ruin it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

what if an AAD has been through a lot of H2O landings. will it be evident?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes!
Last winter, one of my customer's left his rig in a basement that flooded. As soon as we opened the battery compartment, we saw black soot and other evidence of an electrical short circuit. We sent it SSK with slim hopes of every seeing it again. He bought a second-hand Cypres the following week.

Fortunately the rest of his rig dried out after a couple of days and we were able to repack it with no other repairs.

Buy one that needs the service to be done (at appropriate cost, of course).

You pay SSK directly for the service, seller ships it to Ohio.

SSK should owe you the report of the unit's health. Anyway, it will leave in good condition - repair/replace/adjust whatever is needed.

You then get a unit with no doubts.

edit-don't buy it until you get the OK from SSK, so that if it got wet you wouldn't have a worthless unit, they won't fix that sort of stuff within the cost of the 4/8 year service. Your risk is only that service cost.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

A cypres is good for 12 years. A new cypres just means you get the full 12 years as opposed to whatever life is left on a used one. Personally, I just bought a new vigil and am selling off my cypres. If you are planning to buy new, go for a vigil. They worked out all the bugs, don't require maintenance, and the cutters are free if you have a fire!

VIGIL has worked out all the bugs they know, It is still not clear whether there are more bugs. The longer the product is in service (accumulated jump jumbers of all units together) the smaller the change of new bugs.

VIGIL thinks they do not need mainanance.

Imagine if I could buy a car from a company (that never made a car before):
- That is a little cheaper than all the other cars.
- Lasts a lot longer than all other cars
- And this without maintenance.

Keep on dreaming

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

Here is some info that I don't think a lot of people know. The Cypres2 was driven to be designed in part by the increasing lack of availble new components to build new units. Supply chains dry up for parts designed more then a few years ago in an industry (electronic/chip design) that does a complete redesign every 4-5 years. The first Cypres is about 14 years old. Can you find a supplier for new original parts for a 14 year old microwave or walkman?

Airtec worked with suppliers to make sure there was a supply of similarly designed new parts for the Cypres2, but a lot of the chips and design is a rework of old chips into newer, more modern designs.

How is Vigil saying that they will be able to guarentee parts in 25 years when Airtec can't even get parts after 12 years?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Buy one that needs the service to be done (at appropriate cost, of course)..

that is an excellent idea. I think it is obvious, buy used unless I can afford new. Me - I need to pay for a camp and about 300 team jumps a year and that is all I can afford - so I have no AAD...

rm