Raistlin

7-cell Elliptical

Diablo is at the fast end of the tapered 7-cell market. Only a few customers wanted fast 7-cells.
When Aerodyne re-organized, they stopped building Diablos. I have about 60 jumps on a Diablo 135. It was almost as fast/responsive as a Stiletto, but did not turf surf as far. After it spun up on opening (I cut it away and landed under an Amigo 172) I never really trusted it again.
All the other manufacturers have decided to compete at the slower end of the tapered 7-cell market. Spectre, Omni, Synergy, etc. are aimed at casual weekend jumpers who buy the most canopies. Not all of them want a sporty canopy ride. Many of them enjoy the freefall and consider the main canopy to be an annoying way of getting to the next dirt dive.

Many of them enjoy the freefall and consider the main canopy to be an annoying way of getting to the next dirt dive.

Or like me the only way to ensure I get to have the fun of freefall again - not really that annoying in the long run! ;)

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

According to the PD web pages, the Spectre is "slightly tapered" which by all definitions is not "square". I'd call it slightly elliptical, just to qualify it as not-square, and not-very elliptical.

Then call it a tapered main. There are explicit differences between elliptical (and semi-elliptical for that matter) and tapered canopies; they say two different things.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

Why do you stop manufacturing a canopy if it hasn't been replaced by a better design? I mean... a lot of people went to a lot of effort to create Diablo AND there hasn't been a better design developed (in the field of fast 7-cell ellipticals) - why not just continue sewing Diablos for those few who might want to buy it...

Why continue to market a design that has a very limited interest? By the same token PD should still be selling Sabres, Excalibers and their F111 canopies.

Contaqct Aerodyne directly on this, they still have the CAD templetes so its possible to still cut one for you if the interst is there.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Why continue to market a design that has a very limited interest? By the same token PD should still be selling Sabres, Excalibers and their F111 canopies.

All the canopies you mention have been bested by more modern designs, Sabre2 and what-not. That was the essence of my question: I don't see a Diablo2 out there on the market...

Then call it a tapered main. There are explicit differences between elliptical (and semi-elliptical for that matter) and tapered canopies; they say two different things.

I disagree.

All the variation between what companies call tapered, slightly tapered, eliptical, fully eliptical... is all marketing lingo. As far as I remember, the Diablo only had the tail tapered, but as stated, it is a very aggresive turner. Elliptical canopies are not real ellipse either.

The way a caopy flies is a factor then more then just square vs. tapered.
Remster