D22369

Removable sliders?

:S

Hey all, I have done a dz.com search and checked with PD and they dont sell them, does anyone know who manufactures them? or of anyone with close up pics of a removable slider so I could duplicate it for my FX?

Thanks;
Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

From what a little birdy told me, that there is one soon to be released, from a company that works hard at making sure things are just right before they release things. That said, why do you want a Removable slider? It won't do a thing to improve your swoop, and takes longer to pack.
If your thinking of a RDS (removable deployment system) Pd has a patent on it, so it will be hard to find someone to make one for you. But that wont stop you from making your own.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

3800 jumps and you don't yet know that the most important part of skydiving is looking cool? ;)

Actually, the posts at canopyPiloting.com seemed to say that the improvement in canopy performance could be felt. Some of the posters mentioned they had no idea that the standard d-bag and collapsible PC was causing any issues until they took it off and were surprised by the difference.

The original poster has an 85 sq ft main according to his profile. He might be in a position to notice a perf difference (which I am assuming would have some swoop difference).

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I have a removable slider that carries the dbag and pilot chute, and yes it makes a difference. Usually when Im doing a lot of jumps I use a system that just removes the dbag and pilot chute, but the slider stays attatched. In the hundred+ jumps I have on the systems I have found the sliders only advantage is it makes it faster and easier to remove everything. The slider isn't a factor. Just a one peice removal system as oposed to removing everything and then still having to stow your slider.

Im just trying to help explain the system, the slider only acts as a quick release tool, it is the removed Pilot chute and dbag that causes drag and distorts your canopies top skin. There is currently two systems out there, the slider/dbag/pilotchute, and the dbag/pilotchute one is quick to release in the air the other is quick to replace on the ground.

That said, all the bells and whistles arent going to gain you any points unless you can fly to earn them.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

why do you want a Removable slider? It won't do a thing to improve your swoop, and takes longer to pack***

The slider on my FX is way too narrow, once it is tucked behind my head I have difficulty in looking up and behind me, plus I fly CRW video from time to time and if its completely out of the way it would be easier to get the great shots.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Pd has a patent on it, so it will be hard to find someone to make one for you. But that wont stop you from making your own.

They have one on their design. There have been removable slider and deployment systems since about 10 minutes after the ram air was created.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I think PD used to have a small pic of one on their website. As to removable sliders, I can say that my canopy does fly a bit different with it off. It's really odd being able to see totally around you under canopy. Plus, there is less resistance to harness steer than with your slider pulled down and secured tightly behind your head.

Joe Bennet made my removable slider at MEL's shop in Chester, SC. Both MEL and Joe now make them. There are at least five different configurations of removable sliders on the PST tour. Also, like Ray said, having your RDS attached to a removable slider makes the "reeling in" phase of stowage much easier. Opposite of Ray, on "regular" jumps, I keep my deployment system on top of my main and just remove my slider. It takes me about four minutes to convert to total-removal as I keep my RDS lines s-folded in the mudflap pocket on my Wings.

Ah, I see my error now. A removable-slider-only vs. either a non-removable slider with attached, removable bag and PC ("partial RDS", perhaps) vs. a remove-everything ("full RDS").

Anyway, _my_ largest canopy performance problems aren't in the deployment or reefing system. So I'm just on the sideline here. :)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.