NSEMN8R

Triathalon Mod?

I traded this guy a Stiletto for a Tri 135 to use with my wingsuit.
When I got it I noticed that there was something weird with the brake lines. It's like they cut the outermost ones off the tail and attached them on the inside (toward the center). The corner where the stabilizer meets the tail is just flopping back there now.
The guy said it was a mod he had done to soften the openings. I thought triathalons had good openings anyway? Has anybody ever heard of this?

Thanks for any help...

I got my triathlon 190 (500 jumps) with a new line set from Aerodyne, has the same modification to it. The previous owner said it was to give it a better landing flare? Seems to work ok although I dont know how it was before. I have no trouble landing it in any conditions.

This improved line trim modification on your Triathlon is legit. It was developed by Aerodyne, to improve openings and landings. As I understand it, it involves more trim adjustments than just moving the brake lines inboard by one rib.

If you send a Triathlon to Aerodyne for a reline, this is how it will come back to you. It just looks kind of funny at first glance, having no line attachment at the outermost corner of the tail.

A few of our customers have had the mod done to their Tri's, and have been quite happy with the results.

You might want to find out who did the reline, and/or contact Aerodyne to learn more about the mod.
Alpha Mike Foxtrot,
JHL

That is the 4.0 mod on Tri's. Aerodyne came out with a whole list of changes to the Tri a while ago and the neww trim and brake placement was one of them. I think there was some rib design change also.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

When I blew 4 A-B lines below the cascades and a steering line back in March the canopy went back to AeroDyne. When it returned it had the new lines and steering lines. It had that mod on it. It flies nice.. the toggle pressure is lower.. it just looks wierd. I keep my Triathalon for all the "interesting" jumps I do.. its big.. 1 to 1 wingloading.. and I can land it just about anytime day or night and any place I want.

Enjoy

hey lady, I feel like I have failed at my job..... we have changed a laundry list of things on the Tri since the old Aerodyne became part of the new Aerodyne. Keeping it in line with the quality of our newer products.

* The fabric has changed from Gelvanor to the industry standard ZP.
* The standard line type is 750 Dynema (although you can choose between a few types)
* The 4.0 line modification that this thread speaks of.
* It is still offered in RW, Hybrid, and Competition CRW

When I first saw this modification I thought if was a bit weird with no brake line attachment point at the corner of the canopy, but when you fly it, and give it input with the control lines it really does turn quickly and smooth, and it has a tremendous amount of flair compared with the old Tri. It still lands well from full flight (shuts down well) and lands great in breaks (sort of accuracy style) The modification really allows a lot of air to be cupped with the canopy's tail. And the openings have been markedly improved.

if you want specifics on the mod, you can email one of our riggers Jody or Cliff at j.conn or c.dobson @ Aerodyne-int.com

So essentially although we are still using the name Triathlon, this is in many ways a reengineered superior canopy to the Tri of yesteryear.

she is still a damn fine canopy...and a great choice for solid predictable seven-cell performance.
"Those who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it"

so if i have a old triathalon that i am going to reline soon, it would have to be relined at the factory to get the newer, supposedly better 4.0 lines correct?
because i imagine a rigger would just try to attach the new lineset at the old spots, which are no longer correct, right?

MB 3528, RB 1182

It is possible for a field rigger to install a 4.0 line set on a Triathlon.
The last time I had to reline a Triathlon in a hurry, Aerodyne rocket-mailed me a 4.0 line set, then it took a couple of days to convince them to fax me a diagram of the new steering line configuration.
As soon as I understood the new steering line configuration, it was a simple task sewing two more line attachment tapes to the trailing edge.

Hey guys,
I'm one of the riggers at Aerodyne. Sorry for the delay in posting, I'm not on here very often. The 4.0 has been standard on the Triathlons for about a year now, along with several other changes that Aubrey mentioned. Once your Tri needs a reline, it is your choice of returning it to us or having your local rigger replace it. It is a fairly simple process to replace this lineset, and we are updating our instructions to make it easier for riggers in the field. Any other questions or for a more detailed explanation, email me @ [email protected] or call 813 891 6300. Or, stop by and see us at Lost Prairie, Summerfest, Rantoul or a dz near you.
Jody

We'd be happy to do the reline for you here, or we can send you the lines with instructions... but you may get a sticker or a shirt or something if you send it to us :)

He''ll have tons of demos, all the stuff for his late summer adventure...I'd like you to jump a Vision when he is there, you'll dig it....I'll tell you why later.

Aubs.