got2jump

Tiny Skydiver

Hi! I am trying very hard to get my A license, but I am stuck on Category E2. I am struggling to not spin!

I am not willing to give up and I am going to keep trying.

I weigh 98 pounds and I am 5 feet tall. I wonder if that affects my stability?

Only if one side of you is 5 foot and the other is 5 foot, five inches:P.

Size doesn't cause instability, lack of symmetry does.

Have you gotten any video? A lot of people have a hard time with body awareness (including me). Seeing how your legs, arms, hips and shoulders are on video may reveal where your problem lies.

Tunnel time would help too, if you can get to one.

Good luck, and it's good to hear you aren't willing to give up.:)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Another alternative to getting video on another jump is a little tunnel time. :)
My guess is the issue is not size related, but just flying too stiff.

Welcome

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Hi! I am trying very hard to get my A license, but I am stuck on Category E2. I am struggling to not spin!

deep breath, relax, and dont fight the wind, let it flow through you.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

I also had to repeat level 3. I too was spinning on level 3, 10 minutes in a tunnel took immediate care of that. I didn't think the tunnel did anything for me, and actually left the tunnel very discouraged, but the next day I knocked out level 3 and had absolutely no spinning (nor have I had to combat that since) and was able to easily lock onto a heading and stay there. So, moral of the story is, tunnel time actually did help me and was well worth the money spent not to have to repeat that level - yet again!
Andrea

I was the opposite. I went to the tunnel before my AFF and couldnt really seem to control myself if my life depended on it. So I did my AFF a few days later and was completley different in the sky. I kept stable, did not go out of control and had pretty good controlled turns. Now when I go back to tunnel, I am very comfortable and I am able to learn a lot. So if you have a tunnel close by, definately use it. It will be great learning tool for now and going in to the future.
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

Thanks for all the feeback. I recently spent 12 minutes in the tunnel, but the weather has not permitted me to jump. I am scheduled for 12 more minutes on Friday. I hope to use my tunnel time wisely and jump on Saturday with no spin!

Also, you are right about Raeford. Everyone has been wonderful...and patient.

Hello there!
I am about 5 ft. 96 or 97 lbs. I'm just about the same size as you. I have never had an issue with spinning. Size does not affect stability. That said, if you are as small as I am and are using student gear that is too large on you, which is most likely the case, any slight misalignment in body position will most likely become magnified with ill-fitting gear. Therefore, it is crucial that us tiny skydivers have the gear cinched up evenly on both legs and arch without favoring one side. If you do a turn, be sure to go back to a neutral body position, afterwards. After any movement, go back to neutral.

Also, try to always be relaxed, when you are arching. If you are too stiff, you might "potato chip". Take a deep breathe and smile, just before you go out the door, it works and will help to relax you. Remember to relax, but also be strong. Don't let the wind own you.

Like others have mentioned, if you have a wind tunnel nearby, use it. I didn't get into the tunnel until I had just over 100 jumps, but I recommend it for you, if you are having stability issues. If I were you, I would go with my AFF instructor and have him coach me in there.

Good luck with everything and let us know how it goes, Cindy! :)

Welcome. Yay another petite jumper!

Had the same problem, and we realized it was the gear. Once we fixed it, it was smooth sailing. Relax. You're in good company. ;)
Why don't you just go to the police station in a red clown suit and let everybody know what we're doing here?

I have a phobia for moobs. Thanks, youknowwhoyouare.