boinky

DOLPHIN Container

In this day and age, it's human nature to tell everything and everyone about a bad experience, but not about a good one. I want to tell a good one for a change.

I have a container that was made brand new especially for me, but just wasn't working out. I sent it back to the manufacturer, along with my complaints. The company suggested that I downsize my main and my reserve, to supposedly help in my issues, which I did, and then they rebuilt the container again. It didn't help the problems. Unfortunately, I have had many things go wrong to make me dislike this container.

A very good friend of mine suggested that I look into buying a Dolphin. He told me that they were fast, affordable and easy to re-sell. Being a freak about matching gear, I sort of poo-poo'd the idea, as solid black was very unappealing to me. I stalled for several months in deciding.

After another bad weeked with my current container, I finally couldn't stand it any more. It's not hard to acquire the phone number to the company, which happens to be Altico. It goes straight to his company, which is attached to his home. Mike Furry has to be the kindest man alive. On Monday, we talked for about an hour. I explained all of the issues I had with my current container. We discussed my height, weight, canopy sizes and seeing as I do CRW, what I required the new container to do/not do for me. He made suggestions on what to order and how to do it. How many owners of a company will personally spend time talking to a prospective customer?

He also told me that if I was not happy, they would do everything they could to fix my issues and if nothing worked, they would agree to return my purchase price. This man really cares about his product and customer satisfaction.

He can not sell straight to a buyer, but suggested several companies who would be happy to sell it to me.

I called one of those companies that same day. They offered me a very fair price. To my pleasant surprise, they don't just come in black anymore. In addition to the colored dolphin, and a colored cutaway handle, you can actually order up to four flaps in various color options. I downloaded an order form and faxed it on the next afternoon. We agreed to have the order drop shipped to me, to speed up delivery times.

On Thursday afternoon, only nine days after I faxed in my order, I received my new container. I didn't order a plain black container, but HAD to have all four colored flaps. I DID pick what was considered a "STOCK" color option, but chose a colored dolphin emblem and a colored cutaway handle also.

I used my new Dolphin this past Sunday. No more issues! Plus, the leg straps were so comfortable, I couldn't even tell I was wearing them.

I can't guarantee everyone will get theirs in the same short time, but they do advertise 2-3 weeks in most cases.

Before you spend thousands of dollars and wait up to six months on a container, consider a Dolphin. It's fast, friendly and affordable.

Nina Tharp
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

Thanks so much for the Post!!! I have over 200 Jumps on my former Dolphin, and I had similiar experiences with dealing with Mike Furry! One hell of a nice guy....

Some pictures of your new Dolphin would be greatly appreciated!!
=========Shaun ==========

The company suggested that I downsize my main and my reserve, to supposedly help in my issues

WTF, over?

Why was a container manufacture telling you to downsize canopies? What was the problem and what was the reasoning?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I absolutely, positively concurr about your very positive experience with Mike/Altico/Dolphin. We owned two Dolphins initially (5 yrs ago; at $600/ ea. new). And yes, we did not take much of a hit on reselling them...:); I know for a fact that one of them is now doing duty in Bolivia.

Mike's dedication to the sport and customer service is nothing but exemplary! A true pioneer, he has been around for longer in skydiving than many of us have been on the planet.

Let's respect our elders. There is a lot to learn from them and be thankful for.

/Matthias

I really enjoyed reading your post. I have spoken with Mr. Furry, over the phone and each call, has been good. He's real quick to be helpful and is obviously proud of his product... which he should be. He puts-out a good rig and he'll bend-over backward to please a customer. Well manufactured and excellent workmanship. Mr. Furry has been around for some time in the harness-container business. The Dolphin, to me, is highly under-estimated! I agree with you, folks should really consider one... they ARE comfortable.

Chuck

I've had a similiar experience with dolphin. I absolutly love mine, and am currently looking at getting a 2nd rig, obviously with a dolphin container. It fits me very well, is comfortable, and Mike is very customer orientated. I'm glad you love your dolphin, it's a great container.:)
blue skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

I believe that in this sport nowdays, all of the Container manufacturers produce a perfectly good, airworthy rig. Sometimes the thing that distinguishes between a "Good" and a "great" rig is customer service......
The Dolphin is a "Great" Rig....
=========Shaun ==========

Hate to stir the pot,

but, I would ask a rigger about what upgrades it needs if you chose to "freefly" with that container.

The last Dolphin I saw had a really thin peice of velcro holding the main pin flap closed. Maybe a tuck flap or whalrus teeth could be added to help this.

The last Dolphin I saw had a really thin peice of velcro holding the main pin flap closed. Maybe a tuck flap or whalrus teeth could be added to help this.

Ah yes....I've heard about this. But GREAT NEWS! Once again, Mike Furry listened to his customers. The closing flap not only folds under the other three flaps of the container, but has the velcro to hold it there. Easily replaceable down the road. For you freeflyers, he has also added a small "pocket" that runs from the closing pin all the way down the bridle side of the container to stow the pilot chute bridle and avoid a premature opening because the wind pulled the bridle out. It is a pretty deep pocket and it velcros shut and is a standard item on the new Dolphin.

But more GREAT news! That really smart friend of mine also suggested that I buy tuck tabs for the risers. These used to be $40 add-ons, but now they are free if you ask for them.

These tabs are very nice too. Large, wide and only 1 piece of plastic on the end that tucks. I have CRW risers, complete with huge brake toggles and 2-1's. They would not fit in my previous container and I had to leave the riser flaps open and the risers were always falling off of my shoulders. Although technically it doesn't matter when you are doing CRW, I am a neat-freak about my gear and this problem was truly annoying, as I was constantly putting them back onto my shoulders before exit. I need to be worrying about other things on the ride up, like my flying skills (or lack thereof) [:/]. I thought I might have to have a velcro loop added to keep the risers on my shoulders, but to my pleasure, if you turn the brake toggles around, the flaps close completely over and close very nicely. Plus, because there is only that small piece of plastic in the tuck part, I don't have to worry about stretching anything out of shape, so that it will still fit my RW canopy.

Mike Furry hasn't created a new name for this new version of his container. The old one was called Dolphin 2000. We discussed the possibility of his calling the new one Dolphin 2004, but I don't know whether he will or not.

I will try to post a couple of pictures of my new Dolphin, complete with matching, completely contained risers.

While I realize that not every container will be for everyone, as my previous container proves, and I may end up having more "issues" down the road, at the moment I am content. My old problems are solved and very affordably. There are a lot of changes in the pricing. The container's manufacturers suggested retail price has gone up from $988 to $1145, but most dealers will cut you some sort of deal. The tuck tabs, some color options (like a colored dolphin emblem on top of a colored flap) and some matching colored cut-away handles are now free, or have a changed price. You would want to make sure of the exact pricing, as even some of the retailers are unaware of the new pricing changes.

Nina Tharp
Nina

Come on dude, post the pics!!!

Hey, that's dudette to you, young man. ;)

OK...here goes. Chuck Brown...eat your heart out. :P

Notice the totally matching accessories. Almost every single item on the rig has either royal blue or neon yellow on it. The canopy inside is also royal blue and neon yellow, with a royal blue mesh slider. The PC is a 34" neon yellow and a royal blue kill cone. And of course, we can't forget the lovely matching royal blue and neon yellow shoestrings that Bubbles gave me. :ph34r:

Nina Tharp
Nina

You should probably have gotten a Green canopy ... it matches the jealousy you're showing right about now. Get over it girl. No matter what you say, you'll always have to live with the fact that you spent hours, days, weeks, even months, looking through every skydiving magazine to find your PERFECT color combination, one that you were convinced was never seen by human eyes or even conceived by the human mind.... and then you go to the Moss Point CRW boogie to show off your new ONE OF A KIND canopy ... only to find out that you ordered a canopy that looks just like mine. :D:D:D

Seriously though sweetie. You're stylin';)

See ya at CSS.

I absolutely love my Dolphin. I've put just over 100 jumps on it now and have had nothing but comfortable rides on it. I keep hearing thats its not freefly friendly but no one can give me a reason why. If it wasn't for the dolphin's reasonable pricing i'd still be jumping student gear and have 1/3 the jumps I have now. And yea my next rig will be another dolphin as well.
Blue ones
Jim

Jealousy? Nah. While the outside of the canopies might be the same and I couldn't find a better person to be like, the likeness stops there (remember, all of my ribs are neon). In my opinion, my completed gear is the most awesome looking rig in existence.

Besides green would never work for CRW. Can you imagine finding THAT in the woods?

Hey, I'll be happy to pack for you in CSS! :)

Nina
Nina

Hey, I'll be happy to pack for you in CSS! :)

Nina

B|B|B|B|B|

BTW, I was looking at the pictures from the Puerto Rico boogie that Kirk posted to the List back in February (it's my computer wallpaper). MY canopy is prominently displayed in several of those photos. I'm not buying this "I didn't know they were your colors" story anymore.:P

You should probably have gotten a Green canopy ... it matches the jealousy you're showing right about now. Get over it girl. No matter what you say, you'll always have to live with the fact that you spent hours, days, weeks, even months, looking through every skydiving magazine to find your PERFECT color combination, one that you were convinced was never seen by human eyes or even conceived by the human mind.... and then you go to the Moss Point CRW boogie to show off your new ONE OF A KIND canopy ... only to find out that you ordered a canopy that looks just like mine. :D:D:D

Seriously though sweetie. You're stylin';)

See ya at CSS.

Ha, it may look like yours, BUT you don't have the matching shoelaces, now do ya ;)

blue skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Ha, it may look like yours, BUT you don't have the matching shoelaces, now do ya ;)

blue skies,

From the Shoelace Pusher herself. They were a nice touch... It'd be a shame to lose those. Downplane anyone?:ph34r:

BTW, when are you getting off the injured reserve list?

Edited for Tardness.

You mean the "Nina" boogie? ;)

There is no way I copied you. You didn't discuss a new canopy while we were there and I ordered mine in October. Believe me, if I hadn't finally done it then, Chris and Wendy were probably going to choke me, as I'm sure they were both quite tired of looking at colored pieces of paper and discussing the options. I received it in January. The Puerto Rico boogie wasn't until February and I already had mine then.

So THERE! :Pthbbbbb.....

But we are totally digressing here. We are SUPPOSED to be talking about what an awesome, gorgeous container my new Dolphin is.

Can you say that about yours? I think not.

Nina
Nina

Add my kudo's to Mike/Dolphin/Altico. I just got my older Dolphin back from Mike after a refit for tuck tabs and boc. He also did the fix on the main flap and I didn't send him enough money for that part. Just trusted me to send him the $30 for that fix, which I promptly sent to him. Knew Mike's son Chris while he was in school at Ks State Univ and he is as nice a guy as his Dad. Great family and great service. Lee

Always remember, when you get where you're going, there you are!

But we are totally digressing here. We are SUPPOSED to be talking about what an awesome, gorgeous container my new Dolphin is.

Can you say that about yours? I think not.

Nina

Considering that I'm quite challenged in the "style" department, I think my all black Infinity is quite nice. But to get back on topic, your Dolphin is the bomb.

And now, I would like to express my deepest gratitude to the moderators of this fine forum for letting me hijack this thread. Thank you, thank you very much.

Edited cuz I'm a grammar nazi.

Right down to the matching shoe laces! You will have absolutely no problem with the 'Fashion Police'! B| Your Dolphin looks good... real good! I've sold several Dolphins over the years and have never heard a complaint from any of my customers. Only good things... namely, the comfort. Some of these folks sit-fly and head-down and no complaints. Great product with a great price.
If, anyone out there might be looking for a Mini 'D', Cypres ready made for a girl about 5'4, 110lbs., e-mail me.

Chuck

Chuck