Pokerstar

New guy here - Almost ready for my 1st Jump

Hi all, I've wanted to try skydiving for quite a long time, however, I was never able to due to my weight. To make a long story short, 1.5 years ago I had Lap Band Surgery, and I am getting close to the acceptable weight for AFF. I started this out 2 years ago at 431 lbs, and now I am 255, so, after this winter I will be READY for spring and AFF!

Any advice, pre-reading, studying, etc etc you have will be welcomed with open arms!

Thanks!
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

Congrats on losing the weight, and welcome here!

No studying needed; you'll learn all that at the dropzone. Seems strange to give advice since I'm a newbie myself, but I now feel qualified to due to having one (almost two, haha) jumps behind me.B| Sounds like you got determination. Go fer it!

Next week I go again. Wooohooooooo!

Congrats and even more congrats for being able to start skydiving! I'm FINALLY doing my first tandem (after saving A LOT) this weekend. I've been reading like CRAZY about skydiving. Like you, I want to start my AFF soon, so I decided to read and get a feel for what I should expect. I read the ever popular book by Dan Poynter "Parachuting: The Skydiver's Handbook" and while it's definitely not all you need to know, it's a pretty comprehensive introduction to the history of the sport and the sport itself, including training and yes... emergency situations and malfunctions. Those sections are fun to read over and over again. I checked out the book from my university library instead of buying it (which I will when I have funds) and it has been well worth the read. Only, I'm sure, the only thing that can REALLY prepare you is making your first jump. Talk to lots of skydivers, ask lots of questions, and immerse yourself in it. That's been working for me so far and I haven't made a jump yet, but I can sure tell you a whole lot about the sport. Only the best knowledge comes with experience tho. And that means LOTS of awesome jumps!!!!!!!!

Again, welcome!!:D

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I too reccomend the SIM {skydiver's information manual} and the above post gives you the download link, you can also go ahead and purchase one. The SIM has alot of important information you will need to know to safely skydive.

Congrats! on your weight loss! You must feel like a million dollars! Not only are you going to live a healthier life but now you get to jump outta planes!! :P you can't beat that.

I think you'll find that skydiving is a very mental sport, use this winter to prepare yourself mentally, and don't forget to report back when you start your AFF!

good luck and blue skies!
jess

"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen

welcome, i'm doing the same.(250 trying to drop some lbs too) you will find alot of great info and even better alot of great people here. i found a great pdf called canopy pilot you should give it a look over really helped me out. i'll attach it to this post.;)

guess what's 250 lbs and flys like a brick? me

Welcome! If you can stay focused enough to lose that weight, you should have no problems staying focused going through AFF! Congrats!

Use getting your A license as an incentive to support your weight loss efforts!

It becomes betterer and betterer and betterer .......:)
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

Thanks, I think I have it all planned out! I talked to the folks at The Farm, and a perfect mid january getaway from the frozen tundra (I live in Minnesota)
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

Awesome man, good to read your posts!! I too live in Minnesota... hope to see you at Skydive Twin Cities next year. It's a wonderful DZ.

-Jesse

Or at Skydive Wissota, we're open all year 'round!

I live in Plymouth (for now) and I'm out at Wissota pretty much every weekend. Let me know if you are looking to car pool.

Awesome man, good to read your posts!! I too live in Minnesota... hope to see you at Skydive Twin Cities next year. It's a wonderful DZ.

-Jesse

I live in Plymouth (for now) and I'm out at Wissota pretty much every weekend. Let me know if you are looking to car pool.

Nice meeting you! Do you know of any local get-to-gethers aroung the cities? I would love to meet some of the locals. I may cruise out to Wissota next weeked, I will let you know.
--- The Dude ---

Well, if'n ya keep on pickin' that there Banjer ya should lose some weight! Hard to eat and play Cripple Creek in Scruggs Style at the same time!

(Is that a Gold Tone CC100R in the pic?)

SkyPainter - who's been know to pick a tune or three himself! :)
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

-Jesse

Depending how I feel this weekend, I may take a drive out to Wissota. (I am having some surgery tomorrow) If your offer of carpooling is still open, i may take you up on that!
--- The Dude ---